YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga and caste in india?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-17 9:46 PM (#17114 - in reply to #16777)
Subject: RE: yoga and caste in india?

Cyndi Ben:
I wish I could have made that cup of chai for you. Do not feel discouraged from any posting. You continue to post what you wish to. If you see the previous postings, people do not mind using strongerr language when they are tried to be stopped by others.

If you need a class on this, approach my Big Brother Bruce. He is the best in this.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-17 9:59 PM (#17117 - in reply to #17086)

kulkarnn - 2005-02-18 9:10 PM

Hey Thushara: Why are you telling my sister Cyndi to NOT WANT something. Let her want it man. If she likes coffee, let her have it while you drink your Tea. Now, CyndiBen:

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Kulkarnn, Your Sister is just threatening me through Private Messages.. She should grow up big time.... She is very jealous of me.. Oh.. If she is jealous with me with this little bit she knows.. What will she think if she gets to know me better.... What can I do to make her feel better Any idea??

What I meant was., This Cast system is totally unwanted stuff., People have made it for their own advantage. What you do make matters

Hey Cyndi, You really dont have to send me Private messages,, and you really dont have to be jelous of me...

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-17 10:02 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-17 10:24 PM (#17120 - in reply to #17117)

Expert Yogi

Hey Thushara --- The difference, I guess, is that you and Neel are actually from that
part of the world, not America. Maybe you guys have a better idea what goes on in
the places where you grew up, no?

Every now and then I run into European know-it-alls who want to tell me the details
of how things happen in the US. It's very tiresome.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-17 10:34 PM (#17121 - in reply to #17117)

Expert Yogi

Thushara, I sent you a private message because  I have manners and asked you what you meant by your comments about my post being unwanted..You responded to me as if you wanted to have a personal war with me and I replied. 

Whoever is the moderator on this list, I am requesting that you delete her post flaming me and this post as well as this does not pertain to the subject at hand or yoga and I am very truly sorry to the other readers that this went public, I tried to keep it private.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-02-17 10:37 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-17 10:40 PM (#17123 - in reply to #17121)

Ok Cyndi,, But I hope you are not sending me messages like that again , I don’t like to paste your last message about Sri Lanka here, and give you a bad reputation.. See Im not that bad.. But please think before you act.

My dear I have taken you so cool so far., You have no idea what you are heading for by sending me messages like this...

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-17 10:51 PM (#17126 - in reply to #17123)

Expert Yogi

Thushara,

If I were in your country right now I would not be trying to have a personal war with someone in the USA on a computer...I would be out helping your brothers and sisters rebuild their country from the tsumani's and I would be offering food and all the assistance I could to the poor and homeless people.  You are so lucky to have survived and why are you being so nasty?

My husband's brother - yes, Suman from Nepal and brother in-law from Italy are on their way to South India to do just that.  Me, I am here in America teaching my children and raising my family.  Please, do yourself a favor and stop this.

Thushara
Posted 2005-02-17 10:57 PM (#17128 - in reply to #17126)

Oh Thanks for your Advice Cyndi., Now only I realised that I havent done anything for them.. You are correct.. Im off to help Tsunami victims...

Have a great day @@!!!

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-17 10:59 PM (#17129 - in reply to #17126)

Expert Yogi

Bigotry is an ugly ugly thing, and I find it disgusting that people would
resort to it the course of a disagreement. And I'm not talking about Thushara, either.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-18 8:57 AM (#17139 - in reply to #16777)

Hey Guys:
Let us talk talk about the topic directly, such as Caste System in India. And, I think we should not bother others for what they wish to write or not, let them write what they want. But, we should also continue writing what we want to. This way, the topic proceeds and the readers get the knowledge as per their background. Otherwise, two persons who have not met each other argue and others who have not met them make guesses. In other words, it is a mad mad world!!!

I invite Sister Cyndi and Thushara and Bay Guy to my school for a cup of chai, and a dinner made by myself, if you can handle it.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-18 9:47 AM (#17145 - in reply to #17139)

Expert Yogi

Neel Bhai is inviting us to chai and dinner...hmmm what shall I wear??  Neel Bhai, I hope you don't make it too spicy..otherwise, my Pitta condition will be set on fire, and we don't need anymore fire now do we?? LOL!! 

I think the caste thread is now coming to a close and I just want to say Thank You for ALL the input...I really enjoy discussing philosophy and Hinduism and the culture.  To the person who started the thread, you asked a really nice question and I'm sure there is more than what we discussed and maybe one day, it will come up again...  I have no negative feelings for anyone and I look forward to our next conversation:~)  As I mentioned over on the Bikram section, I'm sorry my posts are loooong, I type so fast that I don't even realize what I've done until its gone. Have a really nice day and give all those little Sri Lankan children a big hug and a kiss from Aunt Cyndi in America.  Yoda would also like to lick their faces:~)

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-18 10:46 AM (#17153 - in reply to #17145)

Expert Yogi

P.S.  Thushara, one thing I would like to say to you is this...some of the most dearest friends I have ever had were ones that I totally disliked and could not stand to be around when I first met them.  After analizing this fact over the years I discovered something about that..such as, usually the person I did not like had qualities of myself (I believe this is a Buddhist teaching) either I liked that quality of that person so much that I was envious of that person and did not want to admit it, or that person had a quality that I disliked that I had either outgrown in myself or that I still carried with me...another words human beings are mirrors of our SELF'S and we should always remember that when we are having a conflict.  So, thank you for reminding me that my ego is still alive and present:~)
sirensong2
Posted 2005-02-18 5:10 PM (#17173 - in reply to #17145)

thanks cyndi. but i hope this thread isn't totally coming to a close- I feel like this is a topic that could be explored for a long time..& besides, no one answered the question!

so now i've learned... a bit more about what caste is, what varna is/was- and some history, & lots of philosophy, and i'm very grateful for all of that. but.. are there in fact, some styles of yoga that are related to/practiced by certain castes?

& would the situation ever arise where due to castism, members of certain casts would not be permitted to practice or teach yoga?

i don't mean to bring up "dirty laundry", either. lord knows we have our share here in the US anyway. i'm just looking for a picture of how this all works in India. ( and as India is huge i'm sure many regions have different ways of doing things).

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-18 8:50 PM (#17188 - in reply to #17173)

Expert Yogi

Okay...let's go a exploring the Yoga and the caste system again. I'm game.  Are you ready Neel Bhai?? 

I don't think there is any relationship to the caste system and yoga.  Having that said and all the other previous posts..Yoga is or was customarily done in the temples, by those Brahmins - they were teaching it to the little Brahmins:~)  Some of the bad Brahmins made all those rules and looked down on people who were not in their caste and therefore I'm sure it made the other caste feel like they were loosers and lower that they were brainwashed all their lives into thinking they could not do Yoga and other spiritual things which has kept India and Nepal in turmoil ever since.  Soo, all the good Yogi's came to the US because they got tired of the BS and taught the *extremely lower* caste Americans which took Yoga to the Extreme and Beyond that even, then it spread all around the globe and the Chinese, Japenese and even the Tibetans are now doing it.  The Tibetans even have their own names and explanations on the benefits - but in the Tibetan Buddhist traditions.  Its actually pretty cool too!  Soo, that's my take on it in a nutshell, LOL!!

As for this things being a law or something...nothing is law in India.  There are so many temples and I think each individual temple has different sets of rules. In Nepal, they are very strict and don't let Americans in the Pashaputhi(sp? - Satyam is not here to spell that for me) Shiva Temple, they have a sign that says Hindu's only. We attend a South Indian Hindu Temple in Atlanta, Ga.  The priest are the most wonderful, helpful and do not care who I am and they never ask questions they are always ready to do Puja for me.  In fact, when they see me, they stop what they are doing and motion me to come and get prasad.  It is the most wonderful feeling in the world to be welcomed like that..I go there quite frequently and they offer free Hatha Yoga classes on Sunday Mornings too!  Take care, maybe we haven't scared Neel Bhai away. 

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-18 9:51 PM (#17196 - in reply to #17139)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2005-02-18 8:57 AM

Hey Guys:
Let us talk talk about the topic directly, such as Caste System in India. And, I think we should not bother others for what they wish to write or not, let them write what they want. But, we should also continue writing what we want to. This way, the topic proceeds and the readers get the knowledge as per their background. Otherwise, two persons who have not met each other argue and others who have not met them make guesses. In other words, it is a mad mad world!!!

I invite Sister Cyndi and Thushara and Bay Guy to my school for a cup of chai, and a dinner made by myself, if you can handle it.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Dear Brother Neel,

Thank you for the invitation. I hope to take you up on that, although not immediately as
my life is quite crazy at the moment. Have you ever been in circumstances that challenge
your yoga practice from all directions? These are mine at present, so I keep YS I-30 in mind.

I think that a discussion of the caste system would be interesting, if it were drawn from
firsthand knowledge and if it were not too painful for those who have had experience with it.
It is analogous, in someways, to a discussion of racism in the US. There are many many
awful experiences here, there are too many pious homilies, there is substantial progress
since the 1950's, and there is still a way to go.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)