YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When your partner isn't...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Kabu
Posted 2005-02-14 1:25 PM (#16879)
Subject: When your partner isn't...

as "enthused" about Yoga.

Often in our Family Yoga classes, I see entire families participating. There are also many Dads in class with their little ones. In addition, our studio offers couple workshops in a gentle, Restorative style.

I just love seeing entire families and/or parents switching off to spend this quality time with their kids. Unfortunately, it also makes me a little sad...my husband won't have anything to do with Yoga.

He supports me and the girls, which is wonderful, but he won't step foot in a studio. I'm careful not to push or nag (I know that will have the opposite effect), but once in a while, I mention a special couples class or I comment on the families we see in class.

No dice.

He's a serious workaholic who sometimes literally "pencils" us in, so I know a good hour of Restorative Yoga or a family class would do wonders for him (and us, come to think of it). I assure him the gentle classes aren't about sticking your foot behind your head, but he just says "It's not my thing." He knows I'm not asking him to "practice" seriously ~ how could you ask *anyone* to do that?! I just think a little time with the three of us in such a positive, fullfilling environment would benefit everyone all around.

I guess I'm not really asking a question here ~ I'm just venting a little. This last Saturday there were 3 entire families in class, and 2 other Dads alone with their kids. It was wonderful to see them together, alternately laughing and relaxing, supporting each other. In one moment, I was uplifted and charmed, followed by a moment of sadness because we can't manage the same thing.

Hell, he won't even do it here at home with us. He actually created an at-home office so he could continue to work despite being outside the hospital.

*sigh* Anyone else? And has anyone else eventually convinced a partner to join them in a workshop or something? Was it worth it, or did the whole idea fall flat on its face?

Thanks for reading.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-14 2:47 PM (#16883 - in reply to #16879)
Subject: RE: When your partner isn't...

My husband is wonderfully supportive of all my interests, but does not share them a lot of the time. He's gone to a few of my classes, but it just isn't his thing!

It used to upset me, so I understand. But, this just isn't something we share so I've learned to accept it. That's okay, we can be different and still share the journey together! I truly appreciate his encouragement and support, and I try to offer him the same in his endeavors.

I don't think pushing him into sharing your enthusiasm will yield the results you are hoping for. It might be fun for you to have some company in your classes/workshops sometimes, but don't look for him to dig it the way that you do. Appreciate him for all his differences and the things that make you love him!

Jean
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-14 3:46 PM (#16885 - in reply to #16879)

Extreme Veteran

I can sympathize with you! Not only is my boyfriend not into yoga, he doesn't do any type of exercise, or attempt to follow a healthy diet. While he supports the fact that I practice Yoga, he won't attempt to learn anything about it, and he certainly wouldn't try it! I can respect the fact that he doesn't want to work out, but then he gets mad when I forgo spending time with him to go to the gym, or do Yoga. If only he worked out, then we would have an activity we could do together!
Samantha
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-14 5:08 PM (#16890 - in reply to #16879)

Kabu - 2005-02-15 7:25 PM
my husband won't have anything to do with Yoga.

but he just says "It's not my thing."

Hell, he won't even do it here at home with us.

Right Kabu, you can't force him to join yoga with you BUT (a big but) you definately can insist on a better explanation of his reasons! "It's not my thing" is simply not good enough! I feel one is only entitled to such an opinion after one has actually tried it out ... at least once. Don't you think he owes you a better reason? It's about respect as well.
LoraB
Posted 2005-02-14 5:26 PM (#16891 - in reply to #16879)

Wow, Stefan! All those years of married life must have taught you something! Now, if you can only teach that to the younger boys and make them understand! (I know several girls that would be willing to pay you to teach that course should it actually work!) :

Happy Valentine's Day!
tourist
Posted 2005-02-14 6:37 PM (#16896 - in reply to #16879)

Expert Yogi

Kabu - I feel for you - I really do! I guess it doesn't bother me too much because my husband and I have rarely had similar interests. We actually have to create situations where we are doing things together and always have - for over 30 years! When the kids are small it is hard, for sure. And I think I hear a bit in the "between the lines" of your post that you resent him not spending more time with his kids. If I could do it all again, that is one thing I would improve on - insisting on more kids time, even in small ways like reading stories and hanging out.

But as far as yoga goes, I think it is nice for you to have something that is yours and not a joint effort. It makes you a more interesting person! I think Stefan has a good point. he should try a little bit before he can say he doesn't like it. On the other hand, I know of a teacher whose husband just started taking classes after she has been teaching for 25 years. So I gave mine that deadline - he has about 22 more years and then I INSIST he go to class He'll be over 70 by then so I should be able to make him do just about anything by then...

The workaholism has to stop, though. Not healthy
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-14 8:13 PM (#16899 - in reply to #16896)

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I suppose it's impossible for me to hide my frustration about his frequent absence. I shouldn't be surprised that another mom would pick that up.

Don't get me wrong ~ I don't want him going whole hog and joining me in class all the time. He's a perfectionist (and a bit paternalistic with me), so he'd probably drive me nuts. And I enjoy being the yoga pioneer, believe it or not. I'm still so very new, yet I find it exhilarating to be the first one within my network of friends and family making this journey.

I guess the fact that we take a "family" class highlights a problem our little family has...brings it to the surface a bit more. Seeing other dads with their families makes me wonder why my husband won't spend this one hour on Saturday with us.

And I *know* his lifestyle isn't one he can maintain for the next 20 years. I worry he won't reach the age of 45.

Stefan, you *did* bring up a good point. I'm certain if he only went once and saw other men there who are just like him, he'd be pleasantly surprised. If not, at least he could say he tried.

Hmm...maybe I'll "lend" my van to my mother so he has to drive us to class.

Tourist, your husband had better consider taking a class, otherwise he won't be able to keep up with you at 70!

Edited by Kabu 2005-02-14 8:16 PM
MrD
Posted 2005-02-14 11:04 PM (#16925 - in reply to #16879)

Last year a took a workshop with Anna Forrest. She was taking some questions, and one woman started asking very specific questions about problems with a hernaited disk. She gave a number of answers until she found it was her husband that she was talking about. She immediately said "All rules are off. Family members don't listen very well." We all got a laugh out of it. But oh, how true.

For me I have the kids really excited about yoga. But the wife, it's another story.
jebaz
Posted 2005-02-15 12:30 AM (#16928 - in reply to #16925)

If I can throw in my thoughts. My bro inlaw teachs yoga and trys to get my sister to goand get excited about it, like he is. She does go some and seems to enjoy it to a degree. But, it falls short of giving her as big of a release from daily stress as he has hoped for. For me yoga recharges my cells. It feeds my body and spirit and makes me a better Dad, husband and friend. While we want others to find that something to help them feel whole again YOU Can't give it to them, or force it on them. It is not a specific male vs female thing. Guys often get labled for wanting to fix there partners telling there families how to do everthing. Micromanaging the lives of the family. Some recent converted religious zilots do the same. What is right for me will not be right for all though. I hope my sister finds that something to recharge her body and spirit, but I know I can't give it to her I can only quitely cheer in the background. Any more would only turn her off before she ever gave it a try.
kate0278
Posted 2005-02-15 11:59 AM (#16951 - in reply to #16879)

My husband doesn't want to practise yoga at all either. A mutual friend - who is also a yoga teacher - gave him some personal tuition for several sessions, but then he started "accidentally" forgetting the appointments! When I badgered him further he said that he just didn't like the pain.

I've now learned to accept this. In some senses I even enjoy the situation, because now yoga is somewhere I can go (separate from any work or relationship issues) and just be with myself and figure things out. He accepts that and supports it.

Also, I have to say that my husband likes football, which to me is the most boring thing in the Universe. I do support my husband in his love of football, but if he ever pushed me into going to a game or a training session, I wouldn't like it at all.

Lastly, my Father was a compulsive workaholic. Eventually he had a major health scare in his late forties, and took a lot of time out to be with us. From that day forwards we all learnt to appreciate the time we had together as a family. I hope it doesn't go that far for your husband, but maybe something smaller will make him realise what he's got. You say in your post that you liked watching the families laugh together in class. It sounds like what you really want your husband to do is spend more downtime with you and your family - perhaps you could try something other than yoga?
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-15 4:23 PM (#16974 - in reply to #16951)

kate0278 - 2005-02-15 5:59 PM
When I badgered him further he said that he just didn't like the pain.

Pain???
kate0278
Posted 2005-02-16 5:33 AM (#17006 - in reply to #16879)

Yes, pain. The friend was an ashtanga mysore-style teacher and started my husband on the primary series. My husband is a gym guy, all muscles, and not at all bendy....

Hmmmm. Maybe this is where I went wrong.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-16 9:53 AM (#17014 - in reply to #17006)

Expert Yogi

Kate - send him to an Iyengar class. Strong work for the gym guy but no need to be "bendy" to begin
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-02-16 12:14 PM (#17031 - in reply to #16879)

Oh, Kabu, I know what you mean! I finallyl finally finally convinced my dh to try one of my beginner's video. 5 mins into the tape the instructor said "Exhale through the soles of your feet". That was it - dh was lost forever. One of my teachers does a monthly partner's yoga class - no dice. Another teacher and his wife just went to a fabu yoga weekend and asked my dh and I to join them for a couples weekend - no dice. (dh didn't even have to take any or all the classes )

I can only rarely (like once a month) get dh to come home early enough so I can take a class, and even then I usually have to take dd and switch her out of my car and into his at the studio - and I'm still late for class.

I've given up on my dh. good luck with yours!

MrD
Posted 2005-02-16 2:49 PM (#17039 - in reply to #16879)

Kabu wrote: He's a serious workaholic who sometimes literally "pencils" us in.

This sounds like your Husband is a type A workaholic type. Normally I wouldn't mention this, but last Saturday I attended the funeral of a man who died in his mid 50's of a heart attack. Even his wife admitted that the probable cause was stress.

Kabu
Posted 2005-02-17 9:45 PM (#17113 - in reply to #17039)

I know Mr D, the writing is on the wall. Tom is a classic heart attack waiting to happen. He even has the family history. I love the additional irony of him being a physician and one who should know better.

I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone: get him to have some fun with us *and* into a gentle Yoga class that just might one day save his life. Sadly though, I think most Type As need a good wake up call, something a little more memorable than a spouse whispering caution into their ears.

I have to keep trying. Maybe I'll get "sick" one weekend, which means he'll have to fill in for me during the Family class.
ava
Posted 2005-02-18 2:34 PM (#17166 - in reply to #17031)

Gruvemom - 2005-02-16 12:14 PM

5 mins into the tape the instructor said "Exhale through the soles of your feet". That was it - dh was lost forever.

I'm laughing so hard right now because my DH is the same way.

I find it interesting that in my home as well as the home of many of my friends, family-type of activities are usually driven by what the Dad enjoys doing. I know this was how it was when I was growing up but things don't seem to have changed all that much. We go hiking, kayaking and camping as a family but yoga as a family is not looking very good right now.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-19 1:43 PM (#17225 - in reply to #17113)

Kabu - 2005-02-18 3:45 AM
I have to keep trying. Maybe I'll get "sick" one weekend, which means he'll have to fill in for me during the Family class.

See, Kabu, that's exactly the reason why males refuse to swing a bit more into your female direction. In general we don't like these little manipulative tricks. It's not honest, it's not what your loved husband deserves. And may his lifestyle ever be so wrong, it's not on you to change it. Newsflash: You can't just change a person's personality! Many generations of women tried to change their partners, which is not nice and therefor never really works out. Luckily, I must add.
I never really got it why women always want to change other people. If you ladies are not happy with your partners, why did you choose them in the first place?
Why don't you try it with a male approach? Talk to him, tell him what you think about his refusal to practice yoga. Let him know that you're not happy with him neglecting the family. That's open, offensive and fair. Will make a much better impact on your hubby and is more likely to succeed. Last time I checked your country was still something like a democracy where everybody can decide for himself. Let's keep it that way.
If men (esp. type A) need a wake-up call before they change their ways - so be it! Don't force it!

Edited by afroyogi 2005-02-19 1:44 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-20 5:34 PM (#17298 - in reply to #16879)

Sorry for ranting! It's just one of my anti-women-days.
Balen
Posted 2005-02-20 6:13 PM (#17300 - in reply to #16879)

I here you 100%. Me also.... Also ladies I suffer from this problem also, my mate has antipathy for yoga.
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-20 10:28 PM (#17330 - in reply to #17300)

Holy cow.

I was kidding, which would explain the

I've been with this man in a healthy, happy relationship for over 16 years. Though he's a workaholic (and admits himself this isn't healthy), we're otherwise quite cool with each other.

Easy there, Tiger.
twisti
Posted 2005-02-22 9:07 AM (#17389 - in reply to #16879)

I feel like I am you in 5 years time Kabu!

I have been seeing a guy for 4 months now, at first it was amazing but now the novelty is wearing off I am seeing things a little clearer. We get on really well but he does not hold any of the same beliefs I do in the health/Yoga/spiritual areas.

He is the FM for a big coporate company (who test on animals and he didn't even realise or want to believe when I pointed it out!!!) and is a workoholic as you have described.

I am beginning to wonder how these things are going to affect us in the future, if we will be able to work through it ....... and if I should just cut my loses will I am ahead....

In the past I used to like it that Yoga was 'my thing' my little place outside of a relationship. I often ask myself if I can expect someone to be as into Yoga as me, or if I should just settle for their respect.

We all get and do Yoga in certain ways... perhaps he gets his Yoga through his work and doesn't even realise it? (just a random thought)

Maybe (as the guys have mentioned) he isn't going out of principal. He has told you its not his thing and the more you ask the more he doesn't want you to be right. So determined to stick with his convictions, he isn't willing to even give it a go right now.

Lead by example and perhaps one day when he can manage to drag himself away from the books he will join you. There have been many stories of unexpected coporate yogi turnarounds!

When the time is ready it will happen.

Blessings to you and your partner on the journey,

k xo
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-22 2:26 PM (#17408 - in reply to #17389)

twisti - 2005-02-22 3:07 PM
We all get and do Yoga in certain ways... perhaps he gets his Yoga through his work and doesn't even realise it? (just a random thought)

I don't think so. Yoga IMHO has to be practiced consciously. Maybe the work is his thing, makes him feel good and therefore is indeed good for him - but it's certainly no yoga.
twisti
Posted 2005-02-22 3:14 PM (#17413 - in reply to #17408)

afroyogi - 2005-02-22 2:26 PM

twisti - 2005-02-22 3:07 PM

I don't think so. Yoga IMHO has to be practiced consciously. Maybe the work is his thing, makes him feel good and therefore is indeed good for him - but it's certainly no yoga.

I guess I didn't word it so well... I meant the feeling that Kabu gets from Yoga, and what Yoga gives her; perhaps her partner finds in his work.

This is just one level, one aspect of the practice..... random thought like I said.

OK shutting up now
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-22 4:09 PM (#17416 - in reply to #16879)

Didn't mean to upset you, Kristi. I'm just a know-it-all today.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)