YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bakasana is KILLIN ME!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Lakhesis
Posted 2005-02-16 1:05 AM (#17001)
Subject: Bakasana is KILLIN ME!

This was the pose that basically brought me to yoga: I watched students in a class about a year ago doing this pose, and I thought 'I want the poise, grace and strength that such a pose must require!'
8 months into yoga, and I just can't get it!
My teacher helped me out the other day and got me into the position: he was barely holding me and I was pretty much in the pose on my own, but so terrified of falling forward that I had to be 'let down'. He assures me that its all in my mind: maybe I have too much vested in the pose (it sorta represents 'success' to me, which is silly) and I've lost my sense of humour about it.
Has anyone had this much trouble (I see real beginner students just launch straight into it on occasion, making me feel even more helpless!), and if so, any tips???
(According to my teacher, I need to move far further forward, but I'm so convinced I'll fall on my face that I physically can't do it!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-16 2:17 AM (#17002 - in reply to #17001)
Subject: RE: Bakasana is KILLIN ME!

Yes I took long time to start practicing the crow pose. Like you said , Its amazing some very new students in the class can do it without much trouble., Any way this needs lot of mind power., You shouldnt think that you cannot lift your body. You can., By struggling a lot., I can do it now., But cant hold it at all. following are the steps:

1. Bending the knees (slightly), bring your palms flat on the floor

2. knees on the back of the upper arms.

3. come forward, by lifting the head as you go.

4. Take one foot and then the other off the floor

5. Balance when both feet up.

Edited by Thushara 2005-02-16 2:19 AM
bomberpig
Posted 2005-02-16 5:27 AM (#17004 - in reply to #17001)

Boy am I glad to see this post ! Lakhesis, I actually posted in the ashtanga thread about this a few months ago and ot some good advice. I think it's just practice. I can now hold it for about 5 breaths but I still struggle with it, some days I just can't do it at all. I do find that if I keep looking straight ahead instead of looking down then I don't topple forwards, and then I concentrate on getting my bum up with the bandhas,and lift one foot up at the time.
loli
Posted 2005-02-16 5:34 AM (#17007 - in reply to #17001)

Hi Lakhesis,
Excuse me if I am stating the obvious, but have you tried putting some cushions down on the floor in front of you whilst you practice? Just the reassurance that they are there if you were to fall on your face can help to let go of the fear that is stopping you from putting your weight further forwards.

Good luck with this posture, it isn't easy and I am sure there are postures that you have no trouble with that the 'new' people who can manage Balasama find really difficult.
Namaste
Laura
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-02-16 8:19 AM (#17009 - in reply to #17001)

I am stunned by this post. If you don't mind me asking, what style of yoga are you taking? I just cannot get my mind around teaching bakasana to beginning students. I mean that as no offense to you at all. It's just amazing to me.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-16 10:43 AM (#17026 - in reply to #17001)

It is a challenging pose no doubt but I think it definitely belongs in the beginner level classes. It needs to be introduced for the very reasons that are being discussed here.

Some beginners can jump right into and experience a feeling of success.
Some people can utilize their upper body strength and realize that yoga is not all about stretching.
It introduces arm balancing which is a key component in yoga asana practice.
It introduces fear which must be overcome in order to progress.

Of course a certain base level of strength, balance and coordination must be present in the class before introduction of bakasana, but not necessarily a lot of yoga skill/experience per se. Teachers must be able to judge the level of the class and determine whether a majority of the students will benefit from attempting crow on a particular day.

Lakhesis:

To answer your question: first, go to the ashtanga board and look up the previous post about it. Second, go place some soft pillows on the floor and practice falling on your face. Either you will discover that it's not so bad to fall on your face or that it hurts too much and that you won't let yourself fall no matter what in the future. Third, practice sommersaults: tuck your chin into your chest and roll. Obviously, practice on a carpet or exercise mat or layers of blankets or on your bed (don't go over the edge!). Fourth, do lots of chattaranga dandasana. Learn to keep your elbows glued to your ribs. "Glued" means touching not almost touching and not out to the sides like a pushup. Fifth, do chattaranga pushups with your elbows in and press up to plank pose. You really should be able to do these before you take a serious stab at bakasana.

Now for YogaGuy's secret bakasana tip:

Learn to activate your core! Your yoga teacher will describe this as "use your bandhas!"

Starting from the feet and working up:

Feet should be parallel and the inside line of the feet should touch (press the edge of the big toe and the edge of the heels together) as you squeeze them toward your midline (your midline is the line down the center of your body). Pull your heels to your butt crack. Lift them up!

The knees should also pull in towards each other (midline!!!) and pull up towards your chest. Think about doing a cannonball!

Your navel should lift in and up toward your spine. In fact the belly should be hollowed out. The back is slightly rounded and you should try to press your lower back into the ceiling!

Your elbows pull in toward the center line just like chattaranga (creases forward and points back). Press hard into the floor with your hands and grip with your fingerprints. Don't press so hard that you round your shoulders. In fact the shoulder blades should slide down the back slightly and let the chest melt between the upper arms. You should start with your arms bent and the shoulder forward of the hands.

Gaze is forward about 2 feet in front of the hands and the front of the throat is open. Do not tuck your chin into your chest unless you want to do a sommersault. You may want to do a sommersault if you lose your balance and are falling forward that's why you practiced them.

Core strength works partially on a principle of irradiation. When you make a fist and squeeze it tight, the biceps activate. Technically the biceps have no part in closing the fingers to make a fist but because the muscles of the forearm are engaging so tightly, they irradiate the adjacent muscles. Working from your core does the same thing. If you draw the navel in fiercely it activates not only the transverse abdominus muscles but all the other abdominals as well as the muscles in the back and the alongside the ribs. Keeping the feet and legs active and keeping the elbows in all work to fire up the muscles in your body. Keeping you strong and light and stable. Bakasana becomes a full body experience. Focusing merely on your arms or hands will (ironically) rob you of power and make your crow unstable and ugly. The hands are merely a base, the real work is done with the rest of the body and the core lifting you higher and stabalizing itself and balancing.

Hope this helps.

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-02-16 10:44 AM
LoraB
Posted 2005-02-16 12:01 PM (#17029 - in reply to #17001)

No worries - my teacher said it took her five years to really "get it"!!! We all have asanas that we struggle with, but then one day it just snaps into place. It took me about 5 months to be able to actually hold bakasana (I could get up and come straight down) but working on it even a couple times a week helped. And once you fall, you'll see it's not such a big deal! I can say this, having literally fallen on my face and walked around with rug burn on my upper lip for a week! Just keep workin' on it!
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-02-16 12:04 PM (#17030 - in reply to #17001)

I just love thsi pose and I can see why it my have lured you to practice. that being said, I've been practicing for 4 years and I think started doing this pose w/in the last year. I find it to be relatively simple because I have very wide, extremely strong shoulders.

I put my hands down, firmly, shoulder width apart. Bend my elbows to almost 90 degrees and kneel on the backs of my upper arms, with my big toes touching. I focus a couple of feet in front of me -usually the front edge of my mat. My teacher would like me to improve my form in this pose, but my answer to him is: "Do you want me to do the pose or do you just want it pretty?"

to do a headstand, I usually tuck my chin (which brings me quickly to the floor) and put my head onto the floor and, keeping my toes together, raise my feet. The key for me is to push my hands into the floor like I'm trying to push up into handstand (in order to keep pressure off my neck).

good luck Lakhesis!
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-02-16 4:24 PM (#17046 - in reply to #17001)

Hi.

I also am struggling with bakasana. It must be a favorite of one of my Ashtanga teachers as she will always make us try that one a few times....and I have fallen over plenty.

After 6 months, I am just now able to bring myself up, touch my toes together and come down (vs. falling). There is a mental game going on for sure, because as soon as I get up the only thing I am thinking is.....OH MY GOSH I'M UP!!! DON'T FALL DON'T FALL. (I'm having a similiar experience with headstand).

Definetly put some pillows in front of you and try it. Also, doing handstands against a wall to help build shoulder strength. Though that was reccommended to me by a friend, NOT a teacher.

Keep us posted on your progress...it will encourage us all!

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-16 5:27 PM (#17050 - in reply to #17046)

tigrsunam - 2005-02-16 4:24 PM

Definetly put some pillows in front of you and try it. Also, doing handstands against a wall to help build shoulder strength. Though that was reccommended to me by a friend, NOT a teacher.

Your friend gave you great advice. Handstands against the wall (and eventually away from the wall) are one of the best ways in yoga to build REAL strength. Like DAD strength. Yeah it'll fire up your shoulders for sure. Can't recommend those enough.

In fact, I am favoring handstands against the wall over all other inversions especially headstands for most of my students. Too many people do poor headstands and disregard my repeated corrections and my repeated instructions not to kick up. So I have all but banished it from my classes for all but the most experienced practitioners. Everyone must learn Handstands and get strong and learn to be steady and safe upside down before placing the head on the floor and risking injury to their necks.

Thanks for bringing that up.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-16 9:08 PM (#17070 - in reply to #17001)

Dear Lakhesis:
You should practice preparatory work which shall make the Bakaasanaa possible without the help of a support from teacher. Teacher must NOT help anyone in Bakasana, it should be done ONLY by a student when the arms and abdomen are ready for it.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-02-16 9:20 PM (#17072 - in reply to #17001)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thankyou everyone!
These posts have been so supportive and encouraging!
I've been working on it for the last couple of days and as yet, no real progress (though I have these MASSIVE bruises on the insides of my arms from my knees pressing in so hard when I try to get up!)
I've now concluded that its absolutely fear that holds me back: my arms, shoulders and core are all very strong: I do lots of Chataranga, etc... plus incorporate alot of Pilates-style ab strengtheners into my training. I have absolutely no doubt that I'm capable, physically, of performing the pose.
But the fear of falling (yes, even with pillows!!!) is overwhelming! It's so odd, because I'm pretty 'brave' with other poses, balances, inversions, etc... But this one just busts my metaphorical balls!
Thanks again guys: I've taken all this advice on, and I'll keep persevering!
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-17 9:52 AM (#17085 - in reply to #17030)

I really love this pose too (for some weird reason, I could do it right away). Now I'm trying to transition into it from my head on the floor, knees in armpits. That's taking some practice.

I haven't tried headstand yet, though I have no problem with handstand. I don't know...something about my neck...I'm feeling a little vulnerable at this point.
MrD
Posted 2005-02-17 6:34 PM (#17102 - in reply to #17085)

Kabu - 2005-02-17 9:52 AM

I really love this pose too (for some weird reason, I could do it right away). Now I'm trying to transition into it from my head on the floor, knees in armpits. That's taking some practice.

I haven't tried headstand yet, though I have no problem with handstand. I don't know...something about my neck...I'm feeling a little vulnerable at this point.

Good choice not to do handstand then if your neck feels weak. There really are few exercises that we do to increase neck strength, although I understand shoulderstand and plow are helpful.
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-17 9:31 PM (#17112 - in reply to #17102)

Good thing. I enjoy shoulderstand and plow.

Here's something interesting:

I've been struggling with chronic headaches and neck pain since I was 20 or so. I was worked up, and an MRI showed serious muscle spasm along the back of my neck and into my upper back. To the point that my cervical spine was in a reverse C .

Muscle relaxers work wonders to relieve the pain, but it's not a long term option.

So I re-introduced myself to Yoga, hoping the consistent practice would balance out whatever was bugging my muscles. Sure enough, the longer I practiced, the less frequent the headaches. I love plow, as it feels good along my entire spine and really gives my neck and back a good stretch. I can't prove this, but I strongly feel this has helped my muscle spasms, thus greatly reducing my head and neck pain.

So actually, I think my reluctance towards headstand is a psychological thing. My head and neck are finally feeling better after so many years, I love the poses I already practice...the idea of putting any of my body weight on my head and neck frightens me. I've been doing preparatory work though, inverting myself with toes on the floor, strengthening my arms and neck, getting my head in place.

I look forward to working with my teacher on this and moving past my little mental hurdle.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-18 10:33 AM (#17152 - in reply to #17112)

Kabu - 2005-02-17 9:31 PM

Good thing. I enjoy shoulderstand and plow.

Here's something interesting:

I've been struggling with chronic headaches and neck pain since I was 20 or so. I was worked up, and an MRI showed serious muscle spasm along the back of my neck and into my upper back. To the point that my cervical spine was in a reverse C .

Muscle relaxers work wonders to relieve the pain, but it's not a long term option.

So I re-introduced myself to Yoga, hoping the consistent practice would balance out whatever was bugging my muscles. Sure enough, the longer I practiced, the less frequent the headaches. I love plow, as it feels good along my entire spine and really gives my neck and back a good stretch. I can't prove this, but I strongly feel this has helped my muscle spasms, thus greatly reducing my head and neck pain.

So actually, I think my reluctance towards headstand is a psychological thing. My head and neck are finally feeling better after so many years, I love the poses I already practice...the idea of putting any of my body weight on my head and neck frightens me. I've been doing preparatory work though, inverting myself with toes on the floor, strengthening my arms and neck, getting my head in place.

I look forward to working with my teacher on this and moving past my little mental hurdle.

Excellent story. I don't want to push you into doing headstands with your condition and your overall reluctance. However, there is one thing that you should know and that is that when you perform headstand (headstand 1 not tripod) properly there is very little weight on your head. Most people support the entirety of their weight on their head and very little in their arms...those are the people that also complain that their necks hurt. The people that perform headstand properly with the weight in their forearms usually hold headstand much longer and never complain about neck pain. This is why I have started to teach handstands first because it helps build the strong shoulders that are required for headstand. A weak neck should not even be a concern in headstand. Strong shoulders are the key!

Kabu
Posted 2005-02-18 4:04 PM (#17168 - in reply to #17152)

This gives me confidence then, because I enjoy handstands.

Against the wall, that is. When I play around and step into the middle of the room, that's when the dog runs for cover.

MrD
Posted 2005-02-18 4:15 PM (#17169 - in reply to #17112)

I don't believe that your fear of headstand is psychological. Not at this time anyway. You have to make sure you get through the physical hurdles first. Even though it may feel better, I think a medical evaluation is necessary. Here's why I feel this way.

I was in a car accident years ago and had headaches and neck aches continually for 7 years. I was simply bearing the pain until It started to get worse. It was seriously interfering with my sleep. I complained and my wife recommended going to a physical therapist that she went to a couple of years before when she had whiplash.

I went in about 2 months ago, and the first day they measured my strength and movement in my neck. I had a 10% loss in turning to each side, 5% loss leaning back, and only 80% of average neck strength. I had also lost 7% mobility in my upper back. And that's with yoga. Must have been worse before.

They put me on a regular routiine of exercises to open the shoulders and strengthen the neck. They put me on a specialized Medex machine that strapped me in a chair, and isolated my body so that only my neck could move. They then added weights and I would move my neck up and down.

I also visited a Chiropractor once a week to make sure that my neck and back were kept in place.

I was discharged today because I passed my evaluation.

Upper back flexibility Normal.

Neck Motion Normal

Neck 119% of average strength. (Yep, 40% increase in strength)

Did it make a difference in my yoga. You bet. All of a sudden shoulderstand and plow felt different. Must have been an actual one too because one of my instructors was thrilled with the difference and commented on it in front of the class just a week ago.

Edited by MrD 2005-02-18 4:34 PM
Kabu
Posted 2005-02-21 10:43 AM (#17347 - in reply to #17169)

Wow!

Maybe I'll check into physical therapy. Your improvement is amazing!
MrD
Posted 2005-02-21 11:49 AM (#17352 - in reply to #17347)

Kabu - 2005-02-21 10:43 AM

Wow!

Maybe I'll check into physical therapy. Your improvement is amazing!

Yeah it was. And the Therapist said that the studies showed that in the vast majority of cases the strength stayed if they kept up with the home exercises (takes about 10 minutes) And it's so nice not to wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning with a severe head and nech ache.

Now I know every situation is different, but it certainly can't hurt to try.
Lakhesis
Posted 2005-02-24 3:08 AM (#17530 - in reply to #17001)

Still no luck...
I read about a preparation pose using a Swedish ball- basically going into Bakasana, resting the feet on the ball, to get used to that 'falling forward' sensation.
I'm gonna give it a go!
(DETERMINED!!!!)
easternsun
Posted 2005-02-24 5:23 AM (#17531 - in reply to #17001)
Subject: you CAN do it

i hope to encourage anyone who is struggling with bakasana.

i am a flexible little devil but strength poses are tough for me. last year, i wanted to be able to add bakasana to my repertoire but it just seemed so far beyond my reach. i basically stopped trying for awhile. i started adding a lot more chaturangas and adho mukha svanasana & ardha-sirsasana to my training on one day a week.

at the beginning of this year, i had a student who was more than frustrated at her inability to do forward bends. i wanted to demonstrate to her that every yoga student has poses that they cant do yet. so i tried to show her me falling on my face in bakasana. well, what do you know? i got up straight away, and held it! ok, bad example! so i said," i didnt know i could do that!" then, i tried to show her lolasana (another "in my next life time" pose for me) and once again! i got up! i didnt hold it very long but my feet were definitely off the floor! total shock and surprise from me!!

then i showed her that i still cant do eka pada rajakapotasana(one-legged king pigeon pose) and what do you know?? i still cant do it!! so, i did make my point in more way than one. she saw that what i previously had not been able to do was suddenly "do-able" and also, that i still had poses beyond my reach.

since that day, i practice bakasana and lolasana all the time and love it!! as for eka pada rajakapotasana, i am doing lots of prep for it. i feel that someday it will come!

"Genius is only the power of making continous efforts. THe line between failure and success is so fine that we scarcely know when we pass it...HOw many a man has thrown up his hands at a time when a little more effort, a little more patience, would have achieved success? As the tide goes out, so it comes clear in...A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless faliure may turn to glorious success. There is no failure except in no longer trying. THere is no defeat except from within, no really insurmountable barrier save our own inherent weakness of purpose" - ELBERT HUBBARD

i dont know exactly who he/she is - this is on the box of herbal tea i am drinking while i write this!!

my best wishes for you in bakasana!
LoraB
Posted 2005-02-24 9:49 AM (#17542 - in reply to #17001)

Another great story! I can just picture you in front of the student - excited but a little confused by the sudden ability to "get" the asana.

Enjoy your tea! I like to get inspiration wherever I can, as well. Yogi Tea even has a little quote on the tag of each teabag.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-24 9:55 AM (#17544 - in reply to #17531)
Subject: RE: you CAN do it

Expert Yogi

Great story Kira! I had a similar experience expalining to my family how I can't do chaturanga Now I don't know if I'll be able to hold it for the required 2 x 30 seconds for assessment this fall but at least I know I can get started if I try to prove to the assessors I still "can't" do it at all
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-24 10:27 AM (#17551 - in reply to #17001)

Yeah, nothing helped solidfy my headstand practice more than teaching it in front of a room of people. Up until that point I had a 50/50 success rate with achieving a good headstand without falling. Then I found myself in front of a large class of people talking myself through it and to my great relief I held it while talking the whole time and came down and made it look easy as cake.

The same fear of falling that keeps you from trying can also keep you from falling.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)