YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mat bags on Ebay
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-20 9:12 AM (#17259)
Subject: Mat bags on Ebay

Hey guys! I'm not trying to send SPAM (like the TiVo/Denise Austin lady) but I'm proud of my accomplishment and wanted y'all to check it out.

While I'm home recovering (and very BORED, I might add) I figured out a way to make yoga mat bags out of old furniture upholstery samples. The local furniture store sells them off every time La-Z-Boy comes out with new designs, which is apparently quite often - who knew? I bought a ton of them a few years ago and just finally figured out what to make out of them!

Anyway, I'm still not moving very fast so I can't make tons per day, but I do have 5 more weeks off work so I thought I'd post them on Ebay and see if anybody bit. I DO NOT expect anybody here to bid, I just wanted to show off my creation! Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7136380299&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Thanks for looking! Let me know if you have any tips on how I could make them better!

Jean
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-02-20 10:48 AM (#17261 - in reply to #17259)
Subject: RE: Mat bags on Ebay

Expert Yogi

Hey Jean, very spifffy! We are on the same wave length since I have been making bolsters here! I use cheap acrylic blankets that I pick up at 2nd hand stores as stuffing, old sheets for the inner casing and 2nd had fabric for the covers. The upholstery fabric would work really well. I'll have to look for some!

My only advice is to be sure to do some shoulder opening asanas since I personally get tight and sore when I sew a lot and would hate to think of you with a sore tummy AND a headache:-(
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-20 4:17 PM (#17291 - in reply to #17259)

Hey, that bag looks great!
I just helped myself to a mat bag by cutting off the leg of an old army trousers. So I only had to close one end since the trousers have a little cord to close the trousers at the foot end. For carrying I use the strap of an abandoned travelbag, simple thing. The whole bag turned out to be very primitive and I don't really use it since I feel that the military touch of the bag doesn't match with the yoga approach at all.
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-20 4:30 PM (#17293 - in reply to #17259)

Jean,

The bag looks great!

Hand/home made things sometimes go very well on ebay. Good luck! Let us know how you do! Tourist may start selling bolsters. :-)

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-20 4:33 PM (#17294 - in reply to #17259)

Expert Yogi

Hey Jean, That's a great idea and the price is right too!!  I just wish that I could find a Bikram Yoga Bag...like one for my large beach towel, small hand towel, yoga mat and small water bottle.  Can you do a custom bag..and like what kind of designs are you going to have that we could choose from??

Cyndi - who's carrying around a bag that the yoga mat hangs out and looks totally ridiculous...like I really need something "stylish" and *cool*! 

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-20 6:21 PM (#17302 - in reply to #17259)

Oh my! Thanks for the tips & compliments! Don't worry, Tourist, I get wiped out & have to rest long before I can develop any kind of headache. If you do get hold of some upholstery, let me warn you - get some heavy-duty sewing needles! I broke at least 4 needles on my sewing machine on the 6 bags I finished this week. Fortunately, I was able to order some heavier ones, on Ebay of course! Thank God for the internet, can't imagine sending my husband out with directions to pick me up some "nice needles for the sewing machine."

I've thought about trying to do some more complicated designs for carrying all the stuff that goes with me to class too, but so far the regular tote bags off Cafe Press work better than anything I could come up with. I got one with my own logo on it and it carries my Mexican blanket, a bunch of neckties (to suffice as straps for students), my water bottle, a CD or two, and an envelope for class lists and business cards and whatnot. I like it cuz the straps are long enough to sling it over my shoulder w/ the mat bag, so I can still carry my boombox in the same trip.

If you haven't been to Cafe Press (www.cafepress.com), it's pretty neat. You can upload a picture or logo, then set up a little store for free with your logo printed on whatever items you want. I did one in case my students/friends/family wanted anything like that, but so far the only one to buy anything was ME! That's okay, it gives me something cool to wear to class and makes cute gifts for my pals. My friend just had a baby so I sent her a little JeansYoga onesie and a JeansYoga teddy bear. My store is www.cafepress.com/jeansyoga, but it might not be a very good example because I thought some of their items wouldn't be right for me to sell as a teacher. JeansYoga thongs might send the wrong message!

Jean
(Internet POWER SHOPPER while I'm stuck at home!!!)
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-21 11:31 AM (#17350 - in reply to #17259)

Extreme Veteran

Jean,
What a good idea! I love that design! As of now, I have been carrying my mat under my arm and putting everything else in a backpack . I'm in the market ofr a mat bag!
Samantha
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)