YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using a stability ball
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

audreyh1
Posted 2005-02-22 10:36 AM (#17395)
Subject: Using a stability ball

An article in YJ this month suggested using a stability ball to help build into Bakasana - by doing roll-ins (on your hands in plank pose with tops of feet supported on the ball, then roll in the ball towards your hands with your knees bent and your butt in the air).

I have done the "pike" position on a stability ball before - this looks like a handstand with the butt in the air with straight legs and your toes on the ball. This takes a lot of abdominal strength and control because you pull up to it from the plank position with tops of feet on the ball.

Anyone else thought of using a stability ball to condition their body for yoga poses? Obviously this is not the traditional way, but those balls are really great for strength training.

Audrey
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-22 11:02 AM (#17397 - in reply to #17395)
Subject: RE: Using a stability ball

Those balls are great for lots of exercises and for some fun yoga assistance exercises. I use it to do those ab exercises you mentioned as well as situps. I also do backbends laying over the ball. I do a really tough hamstring exercise that is sort of like bridge pose.

Start laying on your back on the floor with your heels on the ball. Don't let your butt sag. Press the heels down into the ball and keep your abs stiff so that you look like a board. Then pull your heels towards your butt and roll the ball toward you as you lift your hips up to the sky. Your ending position should look like shoulderstand with your knees bent and feet on the ball (or an inverted bridge pose). Slowly roll back to the starting position. After a few of these the backs of my legs are in sweet agony.

Then it's time for pashimottanasana.

The swiss ball is great but not the answer to all your problems. It can help point out weaknesses, instability and imbalances. It can also be a very good prop in many poses. I say experiment with it and use it sparingly. It's a tool but it's not the practice.

samantha77
Posted 2005-02-22 12:12 PM (#17400 - in reply to #17395)

Extreme Veteran

I haven't used it as a prop for Yoga poses, but I do use it regularly for abdominal work, and some upper body strengthening. It has helped my practive though. My abs are much stronger, and I found it easier to work into arm balancing poses after using the ball for awhile.
Samantha
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-22 2:34 PM (#17410 - in reply to #17395)

We used it in class once in exactly the same manner as described by Audrey. And also for backbends partner practice. It's surely a lot of fun but the teacher doesn't use it too often. It's always a disruption of the classe's rythm since it takes time to get all the balls of the rails and put them back afterwards. Too much effort for only little use ... I feel.
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-23 11:44 AM (#17471 - in reply to #17395)

I'm glad to see a post about the stability ball. I am thinking of purchasing one for yoga / weightloss / abs. Seems as if opinions are viaried.

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-23 12:32 PM (#17476 - in reply to #17471)

Dragon - 2005-02-23 11:44 AM

I'm glad to see a post about the stability ball. I am thinking of purchasing one for yoga / weightloss / abs. Seems as if opinions are viaried.

yoga? sort of. abs? for sure. weightloss? definitely not!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)