YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Yogi diet - Vegetarian vs. Meat
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-24 11:40 AM (#17564)
Subject: Yogi diet - Vegetarian vs. Meat

Expert Yogi

I'm moving this topic to a seperate poll so it can be easily recognized and located for future use.  Enjoy, this is a great article on the subject.

The Science of Life, Ayurveda

From Hinduism Today, February 1992

Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian 

The abhorrence of  injury and killing of any kind leads quite naturally to a vegetarian diet.  The meat-eater’s desire for meat drives another to kill and provide that meat.  The act of the butcher begins with the desire of the consumer.  Meat-eating contributes to a mentality of violence, for with the chemically complex meat ingested, one absorbs the slaughtered creature’s fear, pain and terror.  These qualities are nourished within the meat-eater, perpetuating the cycle of cruelty and confusion.  When the individual’s consciousness lifts and expands, he will abhor violence and not be able to even digest the meat, fish, fowl and eggs he was formerly consuming. 

Vegetarian foods include grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and dairy products.  Natural, fresh foods, locally grown without insecticides or chemical fertilizers are preferred.  A vegetarian diet does not include meat, fish, fowl, shellfish or eggs.  For good health, even certain vegetarian foods are minimized:  frozen and canned foods, highly processed foods, such as white rice, white sugar and white flour; and “junk” foods and beverages – those with abundant chemical additives, such as artificial sweeteners, colorings, flavorings and preservatives.   In the past fifty years millions of meat-eaters have made the personal decision to stop eating the flesh of other creatures.  There are five major motivations for such a decision. 

1. THE DHARMIC/SCRIPTURAL LAW REASON: Ahimsa, the law of non-injury, is the first duty in fulfillment of his religious obligations to God and God’s creation as defined by Vedic scripture. 

2. THE KARMIC CONSEQUENCES REASON:  All of our actions including our choice of food have karmic consequences.  By involving oneself in the cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the future experience in equal measure the suffering caused. 

3. THE SPIRITUAL CONCIOUSNESS REASON:  Food is the source of the body’s chemistry, and what we ingest affects our consciousness, emotions and experiential patterns.  If one wants to live in higher consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all creatures, then he cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs.  By ingesting the grosser chemistries of animal foods, one introduces into the body and mind anger, jealousy, fear, anxiety, suspicion and a terrible fear of death, all of which are locked into the flesh of butchered creatures.  For these reasons, sakaharis live in higher consciousness and mansaharis abide in lower consciousness. 

4. THE HEALTH REASON:   Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is easier to digest, provides a wider range of nutrients and imposes fewer burdens and impurities on the body.  Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major diseases that afflict contemporary humanity.  Thus they live longer, healthier, more productive lives.  They have fewer physical complaints, less frequent visits to the doctor, fewer dental problems and smaller medical bills.  Their immune system is stronger, their bodies are purer, more refined and skin more beautiful. 

5.  THE ECOLOGICAL REASON:  Planet earth is suffering.  In large measure, the escalating loss of species, destruction of ancient rain forests to create pasture lands for livestock, loss of topsoil and the consequent increase of water impurities and air pollution have all been traced to the single fact of meat in the human diet.  No single decision that we can make as individuals or as a race can have such a dramatic effect on the improvement of our planetary ecology as the decision to not eat meat.  Many seeking to save the planet for future generations have made this decision for this reason and this reason alone.

Neel Bhai, would you please do me the honor of explaining Sakaharis and Mansaharis.  Namaste`

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-24 11:44 AM (#17565 - in reply to #17564)
Subject: RE: Yogi diet - Vegetarian vs. Meat

Expert Yogi

A link to a website that is also interesting reading.

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/Vegetarian.htm

Balen
Posted 2005-02-24 12:04 PM (#17566 - in reply to #17564)

My very soul depends on Bar B Que

samantha77
Posted 2005-02-24 12:11 PM (#17567 - in reply to #17564)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for posting this article! I recently finally totally gave up meat, after going vegetarian and back again for several years. I started a little collection of articles that remind me of why I decided to go vegetarian, and whenI have the urge to eat meat I'll pull one out and read it. This one is going in with my collection!
Samantha
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-24 12:37 PM (#17568 - in reply to #17566)

Expert Yogi

Have you ever tried Bar B` que Tofu??  Or how bout those Tofu Dogs, they taste great over the grill...throw on some healthy organic Ketchup & Mustard and Black Bean Chili sauce with some textured protein granules:~)  Your soul would be thanking you for all the karmic consequences that it would not have to further endure:~)
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-24 1:27 PM (#17574 - in reply to #17564)

I prefer a veggie diet too, but I'd rather eat a charcoal briquette than one of those tofu dogs. Pass the pasta salad!
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-24 2:02 PM (#17576 - in reply to #17574)
Subject: RE: Yogi diet - Vegetarian vs.

A vegetarian diet does not include meat, fish, fowl, shellfish or eggs.

I have to say I'm with Balen! Only, I live for SHELLFISH!!! Shellfish and Mountain Dew. :-D

I love animals, and being a vegetarian has always appealed to me, but too bad I have already tasted the joy that is seafood. I wouldn't give my seafood up for anything.

I respect you guys that can do the vegetarian thing, as long as it isn't pushed on us who are involved (quote) "in the cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death." I know a few vegetarians, and sometimes they're a little pushy with their views. I'm glad no one here is like that.

An interesting perspective on the issue regardless of where one stands.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-24 2:24 PM (#17579 - in reply to #17576)

Expert Yogi

Don't worry about the pushy thing...I didn't post this to be pushy.  I posted it because it came up under the thread "Deep Thought".  However, these are Ayurvedic principals and we are doing YOGA, which should give us something to think about since we are engaging these types of practices and Yoga did come from the Hindu culture and Ayurvedic is the science of life also from this culture and must be included in our practice somewhere down the line.  Especially, if that is where we are in our practice.  It is a matter of choice and as I explained in the other thread, your body will tell you and you will know what to do.  Having the information available and why we feel the way we do about meat and vegetariansm is always nice to know for when we do get ready to make that life altering choice:~)  Meanwhile, go have some Shrimp Fettucine and a Mountain Dew...don't forget to have a "Moonpie" for dessert:~)

Cyndi - aahhhh my precious childhood memories of the RC Cola and a Banana Moonpie!!  BTW, why did the RC Cola get replaced by Mountain Dew....my sister lives in Tennessee...they drink those things instead of Water.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-24 2:25 PM (#17580 - in reply to #17564)

In my opinion: Dairy is NOT a vegetarian Food. All other reasons are automatically included, or associated with the basic fact that

A human being is NOT a nonvegetarian animal. A human being in the natural surrounding never feels like eating an animal.

However, if one has developed a taste by habit or by mixing other things with the meat, that is a different matter. This is same with Coffee, which is not natural in its natural form.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-24 2:37 PM (#17582 - in reply to #17580)

Expert Yogi

Hi Neel,

If dairy is non-vegetarian, then why do the Hindu temples give Milk showers to the Gods, and why do the temples use and serve Paneer, Ghee and soft Cheese that is only made from vegetable rennet, not to be confused with the rennet that is extracted from the intestines of a calf, and Yogurt.   What you said doesn't make sense....not to mention the Milk from the cow - Laxmi, is one of the reasons the cow is worshipped in your country....to also provide food and nectar for the human constitution. 

Balen
Posted 2005-02-24 2:41 PM (#17584 - in reply to #17564)

Cyndi: No worries you are not pushy. in fact my mate is a sea veg girl. How ever in the land of Kansas Bar B Que is a staple of life. I do eat less meat however i still savor those days.

problem with it is (working lunch hardly anything besides ((very bad food)) available) prepackage carbs or Heart o attack express supersized.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-24 5:16 PM (#17599 - in reply to #17564)

It is very hard to eat vegetarian on the run, most of your fast/easy choices are either french fries or grilled cheese! Some places are improving, though - I just saw on television that Wendy's is offering a fresh fruit plate at their restaurants. Most of the time, though, even if you just want a salad you can barely avoid getting it covered with bacon or chicken chunks.

When I am strictly veggie, I find many people are very defensive and think that I am going to lecture them about their hamburger habits. Maybe they have some bad experience with a vegetarian in the past, but I believe it is partly just guilt that they are projecting onto another person's good habits. I have not been strictly veggie for about a year now, but your article is giving me a good push back in the right direction.

Do you find that when you are practicing yoga regularly and meditating, you don't crave meat so much? The last time I went veggie, I was practicing at least 2 hrs per day, and I drove by a cow truck on the way home from work and found that I couldn't stop crying. I don't find myself being so sensitive when I have been lazy about my practice.

Also, does anyone else have trouble finding veggie options available with this LOW CARB craze that's going on in this country? It makes me crazy when I get lectured about how their steaks are making them so much healthier than my brown rice stir-fry!
HotYogi
Posted 2005-02-24 6:11 PM (#17603 - in reply to #17599)

Cyndi:

I think Neel probably meant diary being eschewed in a Vegan diet vs a Vegetarian diet.

In India, a vegetarian diet has always included milk, yogurt, butter and ghee. It would be hard pressed to find a vegan in India. In fact, Mr. Pattabhi Jois in his book Yoga Mala recommends ghee and rice as a strength building food. Since Cheese is a form of fermented food it is rarely recommended as part of a "yogic" diet.

Your example of milk being used as an offering in Hindu temples ia also appropriate. This ritual offering is called "abisheka" in sanskrit. A cow is revered in the hindu culture just for this reason as is considered a giver of sustenance.

Hot Yogi
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-24 7:24 PM (#17606 - in reply to #17564)

Interesting article. One things that stands out is it emphasis on eastern reasoning to promote it's belief that being a Vegetarian is better then being a meat eater rather then providing hard facts.

While it says medical evidence proves, none is really provided. I can on the same token say that medical evidence proves that after 10 years on a strict Vegetarian diet the body begins to eat itself due to lack of animal protein. Vegetarians certainly will live longer in the US as the average American eats poorly and consumes large amount of processed sugars. Practically everything at your average safeway has corn syrup or some other type of sugar in it.

But what about the chinese culture who tend to live long lives and consume EVERYTHING in moderation?

Lastly, while I certainly agree that farming has destroyed our eco system don't we need oxygen providing plants rather the oxygen destroying animals?

Isn't like whats better when they bag your groceries at the food store Paper or plastic? Either choice has dire consequences.

Edited by yogabrian 2005-02-24 7:27 PM
Claire DVM
Posted 2005-02-24 9:51 PM (#17614 - in reply to #17564)

yogabrian -- the vegetarian body does NOT begin to eat itself, that's just silly and has no scientific basis. Of course, that is as long as the vegetarian is eating enough protein and enough calories.

Also, to those of you who say, I couldn't be a vegetarian becasue I could never give up X, have you thought about being a vegetarian EXCEPT for bbq or shellfish or whatever it is you love? It's not a black and white situation -- if you give up MOST meat, that has health, and animal welfare, and all the other benefits as well.

Edited by Claire DVM 2005-02-24 9:51 PM
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-24 10:38 PM (#17623 - in reply to #17564)

Cyndi -
Don't worry about the pushy thing...I didn't post this to be pushy.

I could tell. :-) I could probably be a pseuso-vegetarian and not eat any cows and pigs, just shellfish on the "meat" side, but I'm not sure that counts. That is a good article though for people who don't understand why others become vegetarians. Interesting!

Meanwhile, go have some Shrimp Fettucine and a Mountain Dew...don't forget to have a "Moonpie" for dessert:~)

Hmmm. I need a moonpie! I had shrimp today! Ironic!

BTW, why did the RC Cola get replaced by Mountain Dew....my sister lives in Tennessee...they drink those things instead of Water.

RC Cola... I thought that was more like regualar coke (a dark drink)? I don't recall seeing those at all anymore. Most people do drink Mt Dew here though, lol! I laughed out loud for real when I read that we drink Mt. Dew opposed to water. That's great! (And true in my area!) I remember in North Carolina on vacations I would always drink Welch's Grape Soda. Ahhh! I loved those things, and they're practically non-existant here!

Jean-
Maybe they have some bad experience with a vegetarian in the past, but I believe it is partly just guilt that they are projecting onto another person's good habits.

Perhaps, but I don't think it's guilt... speaking for myself anyway since that's the only person I can speak for. :-) Most people I know eat meat because they like it. They could possibly be disgruntled becasue they've tried to be a vegetarian and failed. I've never felt guilty about eating anything except a large chocolate hot fudge sunday at Shoney's (with ice cream)! Only after I've licked the bowl of course, lol! I also don't believe that eating meat is a bad habit. I know being a vegetarian is a good habit if it's done correctly, but one can also eat healthy and eat meat... if it's done correctly. :-)

As with every "group" of people, I think a lot of people have had bad encounters with different "groups." (Groups for lack of a better term.) I've had bad experiences with vegetarians, but I've also had problems with republicans, end users (lusers), and meat eaters. On the bad experience with meat-eaters; I won't try rabbit, deer, or alligator, and that drives some people crazy! (Especially during hunting season and the Tennessee Florida games!) I guess my point is everyone has different reasons for being the way they are. (I think alligators are adorable, and I couldn't imagine eating one!) I'm sure you vegetarians out there have had meat-eaters try to get you to convert just as much as it is the other way around.

Claire DVM -
Also, to those of you who say, I couldn't be a vegetarian becasue I could never give up X, have you thought about being a vegetarian EXCEPT for bbq or shellfish or whatever it is you love? It's not a black and white situation -- if you give up MOST meat, that has health, and animal welfare, and all the other benefits as well.

I guess, speaking for myslef again, I have no good excuse. As I stated above, I do refuse certain meats, and I have also stopped all Pork, have almost stopped Turkey, and I eat very little Beef. (It's something I do and basically don't talk about it.) I basically only eat chicken and shellfish. I would eat only shellfish if my budget allowed it, but chicken in a lot cheaper and comes in salad. I've tried tofu and like it, but I need a tofu cookbook! I have to admit, I would like to become a vegetarian, but don't want to give up my wonderful shellfish. Too bad there's no word for a person who only eats shellfish, lol!

Good Tofu cookbooks?

Okay, I suppose that is my two cents. :-) I hope I didn't offend anyone. I know where to come if I can ever get over my love of shellfish! LOL! Good luck to all of you vegetarians, and don't let the mean meat eaters out there give you a hard time!

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-24 10:55 PM (#17628 - in reply to #17599)

Expert Yogi

I have to say this first....anyone seen the movie "Supersize Me"?  If not, please, its a must see for anyone interested in eating junk food and/or on a meat based diet.

Yes, Jeansyoga, I am with you on the issue of NOT craving meat when on a vegetarian diet.  But, I do believe that you need protein and minerals.  Also, it is not good for anyone to make a complete change in your diet without having someone professionally in some way whether it be holistic, Ayurvedic, or Traditional Chinese Medicine, guide you through it!!!  It can be dangerous to your health and I am serious about this.  If you want to read something good, read Bob Flaws book "The Tao of Healthy Eating", and then Paul Pitchford's "Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Medicine" - this is my personal favorite, my copy looks like a rag:~)

Now, my 12 year old daughter.....she will not eat meat.  I have to beg and plead with her to eat meat and I use organic halal meat when we do eat it.  The reason...one day we were on the highway here in the mountains.  We were behind a chicken truck on its way to the processing plant - NOT the organic Belle and Evans truck either!!  A chicken had fallen off the truck and was lying in the middle of the road.  As I was passing the chicken I saw that he was still alive.  I stopped my car and proceeded to find something to pick him up with.  I couldn't find anything except my beautiful red poshmina shawl from Nepal.  So, I took the shawl and scooped the chicken off the road while these people drove by slowly starring at me like I was nuts!  As I did this I saw the condition the chicken was in, its beak was nailed shut and he was dying.   Immediately tears of so many emotions swelled up and I was so upset.  I was walking around trying to figure out what to do..it was so awful thinking about what this poor chicken had to endure - UGH!!  My daughter watched this entire scene and cried with me.  Anyway, we took the chicken to the side of the road into some nice bushes.  I checked him over and realized right away he was not going to make it.  So, I left him in a peaceful state, chanted some mantras and drove away.  That was an interesting experience for me and my daughter, and now she won't eat meat.  On a happier note, this summer I rescued a Screech Owl after he was hit by a car.  He was the cutest thing I have ever seen. I almost kept him so I could release him back into my area but I didn't have the heart to feed him live animals, I couldn't do it.  He is now at a Wildlife Rehab Center, where they educate children about wildlife and have other animals as well.  Its a cool place.

It's getting much better to find vegetarian food than before.  I love Zaxby's salads.  As my body is changing and is in a more pure state, I have a very difficult time with these American style Chinese restaurants because of all the MSG they use...I hate it and it gives me a headache.  Be careful eating salad's all the time though....eating too much lettuce can make you dizzy.  Everything in moderation.  Whoever said Chinese people eat EVERYTHING is not totally correct...that's not the only reason some of these people are living longer and not many health problems...they have Chinese herbs, they live simple lifestyles and do meditation along with Tai Chi/Qi Gong, have Acupunture, and in their hospitals, they treat the body as a system, not an automobile repair shop where they take it out and replace it either with a new part or with nothing at all!!  They also have been doing this for over 5,000 years vs. our 207 years.  The results are not completely in due to the growth and technological advances that are invading this country...its one of the most polluted places in the world, they are driving cars now instead of bikes and things are changing - kinda like America did say 30 years ago.  I know lots of strict vegetarian Chinese people. I also know the ones that eat moderate amounts of everything, but did you know that in China, there was a time when Chinese families could only get 1 chicken per year and that was on the New Year Festival day?  Oh well, good night my fingers are tired now:~)

Cyndi - who is going to start breaking my posts in 3rds so that I can get one of those purple stars:~)

P. S. Sorry about the repetition...but repetition is good, it certainly keeps you on your toes don't it, LOL!!

Edited by Cyndi 2005-02-24 11:18 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-02-24 11:11 PM (#17629 - in reply to #17623)

What you eat cannot purify your mind
but is there greed behind your choice of eating?
If yes,
the mind that eats is not pure - be your choice vegetarian or not.

This is a repeating topic in this forum anyway

Thushara
Posted 2005-02-24 11:14 PM (#17630 - in reply to #17623)

Dragon - 2005-02-25 9:38 AM

Okay, I suppose that is my two cents. :-) I hope I didn't offend anyone. I know where to come if I can ever get over my love of shellfish! LOL! Good luck to all of you vegetarians, and don't let the mean meat eaters out there give you a hard time!

Dragon
Posted 2005-02-24 11:17 PM (#17632 - in reply to #17629)

If yes,

Good point.

***applause for Thushara***

Cyndi,
Touching story about the owl. :-) We need more good stories like that to share. It seems like it's only the bad stories that make the news.

***applause for Cyndi***

Edited by Dragon 2005-02-24 11:19 PM
beliver
Posted 2005-02-25 1:22 AM (#17643 - in reply to #17628)

Cyndi,,

You must share stories like this., I m so touched and I feel so sorry about the story of loosing your red poshmina shawl from Nepal.. Oh how sad

loli
Posted 2005-02-25 6:17 AM (#17651 - in reply to #17564)

Hi.
I don't eat meat or poultry, and don't eat things like cheese if it contains aniimal rennet or jellies with gelatine etc..
But, I can't really say that I am a vegetarian as I do sometimes (rarely) eat fish/seafood...
I seem to know quite a few people like me, who will eat a little fish but no meat....is there a 'label' for us?
Just curious....
Laura
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-02-25 8:00 AM (#17656 - in reply to #17564)

Ok, apologies up front for another of my long, rambling responses. This article, much like the sentiments behind it, bends logic to create it's own support. It is not my intent to be mean, but it is a pet peave when those in the media put their personal opinions out there as fact.

"The abhorrence of injury and killing of any kind leads quite naturally to a vegetarian diet. The meat-eater’s desire for meat drives another to kill and provide that meat. The act of the butcher begins with the desire of the consumer."

"1. THE DHARMIC/SCRIPTURAL LAW REASON: Ahimsa, the law of non-injury, is the first duty in fulfillment of his religious obligations to God and God’s creation as defined by Vedic scripture.

2. THE KARMIC CONSEQUENCES REASON: All of our actions including our choice of food have karmic consequences. By involving oneself in the cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the future experience in equal measure the suffering caused. "

This common viewpoint has always left me puzzled. Is the writer really so arrogant as to believe that only things with faces are alive? We kill plants during a harvest just as brutally as any butcher. A study by the University of Iowa some years ago actually recorded the fact that corn emits a very high pitched wail as it is harvested. Too high for human hearing, but it is there. The same is true for wheat. So what is to be made of this arguement that killing an animal is wrong, but killing a plant is not? In my view all life is sacred. I try to avoid processed meats much as I try to avoid processed vegetables. That is not always easy, of course. I do not, however, see anything more spiritually pure about eating an apple, the very womb of a noble tree, as compared to eating fresh caught fish. Maybe it's just how I was raised, but one should be thankful for, and respectful of, whatever creature gave it's life to provide your meal. Whether that life was lived in the water, on the land, or with roots in the earth is irrelevant.

"If one wants to live in higher consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all creatures, then he cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs."

Wonderful words, but on what authority is this considered fact and not opinion?

"Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major diseases that afflict contemporary humanity."

Really? Wow. So, vegetarians, by virtue of their diet, are less likely to contract AIDS? This may be true of various western scourges such as those linked directly to obesity, but I would be highly skeptical of claims that vegetarians are less likely to contract say, lung cancer (directly linked to smoking and environmental factors), breast cancer (rates are actually lowest among Asian women who, for the record, consume fish or other meats on an almost daily basis)... I could go on but I believe I have made my point.

Thushara - 2005-02-24 11:11 PM

If yes,

This may be the single wisest thing I've read anywhere in quite some time. When a choice is driven by greed, or ego, then it is not noble regardless of it's result. If you truly believe that the life of an animal is more sacred than the life of a plant, then eating an animal is sinful, regardless of any excuses about logistics. Likewise, if you do not truly believe this, then the choice to be a vegetarian makes little sense. Sure, Big Mac is bad for you body, we all know this. But is fresh fish really more harmful to your body than a fistful of nuts, which have far more fat? I just don't understand the lines people draw. In my eyes all life is equally sacred, be it human, fish, fowl, beef, or vegetable. As I said before, one should be thankful and respectful of the lives lost so that ours can continue, but I see no moral high ground in picking and choosing which living things live and which ones die. Life is life.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-25 8:20 AM (#17658 - in reply to #17643)

Expert Yogi

Actually, I didn't loose my beautiful red poshmina shawl....I kept it - Chicken blood and all...and afterall it was a Red one.  I handwashed it, and wear it all the time.  It reminds me of that chicken now:~

Another happy ending, LOL!!!

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-25 8:37 AM (#17660 - in reply to #17564)

Something that we don't seem to be discussing is the terrible state of American meat. There's nothing healthy for OUR bodies about animals that have been pumped full of hormones to make them grow faster, antibiotics to keep them from getting sick, and fed diets that are full of pesticides to keep the insects from interfering with the profits. Back when farmers were able to raise each cow personally, it was different - now nobody can afford to run a farm like that, so those are mostly gone from this country. Dairy products are even worse, because in addition to growth hormones and antibiotics, the cows must be given reproductive hormones to keep them lactating continuously (although, it's getting pretty easy to find organic milk nowadays).

Organic meats may be fed a diet that has no pesticides and they would not be injected with hormones/antibiotics. However, there's nothing in organic food guidelines that keeps them from being kept in pens no larger than their bodies, having their beaks nailed shut and living in the most deplorable conditions. Surprisingly, the Amish give their animals some of the worst treatment because they believe that animals have no souls (I live near a northern Indiana Amish country). Now, it's true the meat will be in better condition for your body than the mass-market meat, but if you believe the animals have feelings and souls - don't you believe they would develop high blood pressure, heart disease, and bleeding ulcers, just like people do under extreme stress? Do you believe that makes for a healthy energy for us to ingest in our own bodies?

I don't know if plants have souls or not - it wouldn't surprise me actually - but I do know that plants have a lower standard of living and don't seem to mind (if we gave them room to move around, they wouldn't use it!). Also, when harvested properly, plants do not die. When you pluck a tomato off a plant, it doesn't kill the tomato plant. And if you don't, the fruit rots on the vine, which is just a waste. Of course, organic plants must be used, because otherwise you're just ingesting the pesticide directly instead of second-hand through the meat.

I feel compelled to mention I occasionally eat chicken or pork, so this all makes me something of a hypocrite. Eating for perfect health is too EXPENSIVE for many people! Organic free-range chickens are almost never on sale, but you can stock your whole kitchen with Spaghetti-O's for less than 5 bucks. You just have to do the best you can, and sometimes you find yourself eating something that you know isn't good for you. Just bless it, be mindful, and be grateful that you can afford to put anything at all in your belly.

This is a very interesting discussion, because as yogis/yoginis we are bound to accept each other's choices with compassion. Some of us are carnivores, and some are not. I really appreciate the informative, accepting tone of everyone's posts.

As a funny post-script, I have been sitting here contemplating my food choices and trying to add something useful to the discussion. When I got up to get some tea, I realized my little dog was sitting behind me, busily devouring a used kleenex! Talk about discriminating tastes! Next time I am at the health food store, I must remember to pick her up some organic, free-range used kleenexes!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)