YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Music
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

DearTabatha
Posted 2005-02-24 9:43 PM (#17612)
Subject: Yoga Music

Do you guys listen to music when you do yoga at home? I've found that when I put on the right music, my thoughts just kind of fade into the music, and i can kind of meld with my surrounding. Lately I've been listening to thsi group called Secret Garden. If you haven't heard of them before, definitely give them a try the next time you're going to do some yoga at home. My tantric sex therapist suggested it to me, and she was definitely right when she said that it would carry me away. Has anybody else heard them or listened to them while practicing yoga at home?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-25 2:15 PM (#17699 - in reply to #17612)
Subject: RE: Yoga Music

Secret Garden, yah, they had 1 or 2 small hits like 2 years ago. I definately disliked them a lot. They sound (and look) like a cheapo pop band for teenagers. Boring melodies, no cool hooks, no groove, badly arranged and produced. Very commercial. I couldn't do yoga with annoying music like that running in the background.
Just my 2 cents.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-25 7:39 PM (#17737 - in reply to #17612)

Expert Yogi

Tabatha - don't mind afroyogi. He thinks he's pretty special now that he can do Ustrasana Different people have different opinions on music for yoga. There are several threads here if you do a search. Personally, my teachers believe that yoga should bring you IN to your body, not carry you away. More awareness in the present rather than escape. Try yoga both ways and see how it works for you
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-25 8:06 PM (#17741 - in reply to #17612)

Just realized something interesting . . . I ALWAYS put music on for my students, but I almost NEVER use music when practicing at home! Although some of the places I teach, I'm just trying to drown out the monster rock and the muscle men slamming weights around in the next room.
audreyh1
Posted 2005-02-25 8:35 PM (#17747 - in reply to #17612)

I put on my Eternal OM CD - that's the only yoga music I have. I find it helps me create the mood and focus and leave the cares outside of my room while I practice. I'm sure it's just conditioning from playing it when I have done yoga before - but it really, really helps. The CD does not have any actual rhythm - so it doesn't influence my practice in that way.

I'm a person who has difficulty "quieting my mind". Anything that can help me focus on the present and be present and not far away and distracted is a good thing. Yoga is about the only time I am in the present during my normal day.

Audrey
MrD
Posted 2005-02-27 12:02 AM (#17788 - in reply to #17612)

I for one have really enjoyed Secret Garden when I do yoga. I have an instructor that plays a lot of Celtic music. It seems to play well for her. At home sometimes I use music. The nice thing about that is I can play whatever I want. If I feel like Rock, so be it. However the mood hits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)