YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NEED to improve my diet - help
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Claire DVM
Posted 2005-02-24 10:28 PM (#17620)
Subject: NEED to improve my diet - help

Does anyone have some good yoga/nutrition references, preferably on the internet? My diet really needs some improving -- right now I am in school and spend 70-80 hours per week doing school related things so I am very tight on time and in a high - stress atmosphere, so i have fallen into a bad habit of eating quick, easy, highly processed foods, and I'd like to slowly improve it. I've been trying to add in fresh fruits and vegetables. I may try frozen also for the convenience (I figure frozen veggies, while not ideal, are better than frozen pizza or something).

As a consequence i have gained about 10 pounds recently which is interfering with my running and also, I feel, my yoga, in addition to the way I feel about my body!

Any advice, stories about how you improved your diet? I am a sugar fiend when I get stressed!
Thanks, i appreciate it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-24 10:48 PM (#17625 - in reply to #17620)
Subject: RE: NEED to improve my diet -

A juicer can becaome your best friend! Think about investing in one. I used to go to school and work full-time, probablly will be again, and a juicer has SO helped me! That's the best way I can think to sqeeze in more fruits and veggies! There's a lot of good juicing cook books too. :-) AND THEY DON"T TASTE HORRID! (Okay, some do, ha ha!)

I'm anxious to see what others post.

Good topic!
and
Good luck!

P.s.
If your work/school has a microwave, a lot of the Weight Watchers meals are good. Trial and error!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-25 2:29 AM (#17647 - in reply to #17620)

I say get Enter the Zone by Dr. Barry Sears (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AZ26N/qid=1109315594/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/103-6835563-2816659?v=glance&s=hpc&n=507846). You can find it used for cheap. I also recommend looking into the Paleo Diet.
http://www.google.com/search?q=paleo+diet&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial

The Zone is a diet where you eat a balance of proteins, carbs and fats. As long as you keep the proportions correct you can be vegetarian or you can be a carnivore. It's up to you. I highly recommend it. The Paleo diet is based on the types of foods you eat. Basically it consists of nuts, berries, leaves and meat, things that paleolithic man ate before neolithic man. It's a hunter gatherer diet vs. an agricultural diet based on grains.

You can do a Paleo diet (type of foods) on the Zone diet (proportions).

I have a juicer and I do NOT recommend getting one. First, they are expensive. Second, they are hard to clean. Third, drinking juices can lead to greater weight gain.

Juices are high in sugar and calories. Of course it depends on what fruits or vegies you juice. However, the danger is that you will make sweet juices (carrot, beet, apple) which although tasty and nutrient dense, those juices can spike your insulin and pack a lot of extra calories into your glASS.

The problem is sticking to a diet. Get a support group. Eat meals with other people that are also motivated to lose weight. Set a goal or contest. I know all too well about how hard it is to eat right, but I know it can be done with just a little more effort and though.

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-25 2:40 AM (#17648 - in reply to #17620)

Here is an article from the Dec. 2002 Crossfit Journal. www.crossfit.com They are a big proponent of the Zone diet. It can be done!

Fast Food

One of the more common explanations for bad diet is being “too busy to eat right”. On the face of it this may seem plausible. There are a multitude of things that we are each too busy to do. It seems logical that there are more things that we don’t have time for than we do have time for because there are an infinite number of things to do, but we can only experience a finite number of them.

But because eating is not optional, the important question is not how much time it takes to eat right but whether it takes longer to eat right than to eat wrong? We thought an experiment was in order.

We sent two teams out at lunchtime. Team A, the “too busy to eat right” team headed for Dairy Queen and Team B, the “not too busy to eat right” team, went to the local grocery store, “Nob Hill Foods.”

The eatery is right across the street from the grocery company so differences in travel time was not a factor in timing the two approaches.

We instructed our “too busy to eat right” team, Team A, to order a meal that was not “right”, simply because the “too busy to eat right team” doesn’t “eat right” by definition. We are of the opinion that even the worst eatery can be made better by better choices, but that is the stuff of another article.

Team B, was instructed to select for nutrition and convenience.
Again, our chief concern was about time to serving because we’re testing the claim that eating poorly is quicker than eating properly. But, we couldn’t help but wonder, what are the cost differences and how profound can the nutritional choices be?

The fast food Team, Team A, the one that was too busy to eat right got their food in 17 minutes and 45 seconds from leaving the gym to food in hand.

The grocery store Team, Team B, the one with the extra time to eat right got their food in 14 minutes and 23 seconds beating the busy guys by 3 minutes and 22 seconds.

The fast food - Dairy Queen - was a double cheeseburger, large fries, and a chocolate shake. The cost was $6.12.

The grocery store food – Nob Hill Foods – was 6 ounces of turkey breast from the deli counter, two Fuji Apples, and 1 ounce of roasted cashews. The cost was $5.39 edging out the Dairy Queen by 73 cents.

Team B’s turkey, apples, and cashews were selected to meet the nutritional needs for a 165 pound lean athlete’s meal. By Zone nomenclature this calculates to about four blocks of protein, fat, and carbohydrate each.

Team A’s burger, fries, and shake by comparison measure out to 8 blocks of protein, 23 blocks of fat, and 22 blocks of carbohydrate. This meal therefore exceeds the 165 pound athlete’s requirements by double the protein, over five times the carbohydrate, and nearly six times the fat.

The cost per calorie of the fast food is lower than the grocery store’s but the real cost of the cheaper food is poorer health. Still, the cost per meal was lower at the grocery store.

So eating right is certainly quicker and cheaper (per meal) than eating junk food. We have enough time to eat right – use the time you’d otherwise use to eat wrong. “Good Food”“Bad Food”

Taster’s Choice
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-25 9:42 AM (#17668 - in reply to #17620)
Subject: RE: NEED to improve my diet - help

Expert Yogi

Hi Claire,

Go over to the thread of Yogi diet meat vs. vegetarian, and the one about fermented foods.  As far as diets are concerned...there is no such thing.  Anything that says diet - its BS!!!  Eating food correctly is a way of life and it is about using common sense.  Diets fail mainly because they are too limiting and then the audience quits from bordem!  I posted a couple of book readings over there if you are truly interested in learning about how you can help yourself, they are very good reading.  If you have an Earthfare or Whole Foods in your area, try visiting that store and you will get all kinds of ideas just by walking in the front door.  Stick with Yoga, it has a way of helping your mind make better correct choices - naturally:~)  Take care

Cyndi

Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-25 11:19 AM (#17684 - in reply to #17668)

Expert Yogi

I would like to make a clarification about the word "DIET".  Some of us refer to diet as a way of life and how we eat on a daily basis.  Some of refer to diet as doing something new or different than what we normally do.

The term I use in the word *diet* when I am writing is my way of life and how I eat on a daily basis.  When I refer to BS and diet...I refer to people who claim to have a *diet* to loose weight, alter your body or I have to say this..to make money off vulnerable people.  So having that said, Your diet can be a good thing if it truly works for you, but as always, every BODY is different and you really need to connect with that KNOWING.

Dragon
Posted 2005-02-25 11:55 AM (#17687 - in reply to #17620)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I felt compelled to defend my friend the juicer. :-)

You can buy inexpensive ones for under $100. Mine works great, and it was right at $100. I guess you could say that is expensive, but if you use it, then it's worth it. :-) There are more expensive ones of course, and I'm sure they work better, but my "cheap" one works just fine. So they can be expensive, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Some are probably hard to clean, but it takes me 5 minutes at the most. For me that's better than cleaning up the kitchen after having to cook. Again, that depends on the juicer. (And I hate to cook, so the juicer is a blessing to me!)

I definitely agree that drinking juices can lead to weight gain if you drink them all the time, but as with all food, everything in moderation. Sometimes I try to replace a meal with juice instead. I see it as a good way to get some veggies and other things I wouldn't normally eat. Juice is fast and more healthy than Pizza! LOL! I replace dessert with fresh juice sometimes as well. Maybe that would help your sugar cravings? I find it hard to get all the servings of fruit that Scientists say we should have, so the juicer makes it easy for me. :-)

As with everything, all is a matter of preference! It is not a cure for all your dieting needs, just a suggestion for a busy lifestyle.

---

As for a "diet," I have to agree with Cyndi on that one and say you need to try to choose a "Healthy Lifestyle" (for lack of better words).

I was / am on Weight Watchers, and that is a "lifestyle" or at least they promote it as such. That's been the only "diet" (again, for lack of a better word) I have ever been able to loose weight using. It basically just promotes eating healthy and an easy way to help you perceive what is too much food for you and what isn't. This is the way I eat on a regualr basis. It works for me. :-) They have an Internet based program as well, although I can't speak from personal experience on that one since I physically went to the meetings. It was expensive for me to start, but after I got the information, I could carry on all by myself.

Well, that's everything that has worked for me! Healthy lifestyle + Exercise I used to be about 30+ lbs overweight, and I found school to be horrible on my figure as well! I gained 20lbs everytime I went for a degree! A lot of it is willpower too. Pizza was and still is a particularly tough one for me. I just try to eat only one to two slices opposed to my normal 4 slices....

Good luck finding something that works for you! Let us know how you're doing!

P.s.
There's also a Yoga for Weightloss section on the forums. You may have some luck reading posts there.
Dragon
Posted 2005-02-25 12:01 PM (#17688 - in reply to #17620)

You can do a Paleo diet (type of foods) on the Zone diet (proportions).

Interesting... will have to read about that for curiosities sake!

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-25 1:43 PM (#17696 - in reply to #17620)

Dragon,

Read this for a quick overview.

http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/pmenu/issues/pmenu_issue1.pdf
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-25 2:40 PM (#17702 - in reply to #17620)

Extreme Veteran

Have you ever heard of ediets.com? You do have to pay a little for the service, but based on your goals, and eating preferences, they will prescribe meals for you. They'll use the Zone diet if you want, and you also get to learn about other eating regimens that may suit you. I did it for awhile when I wanted to alter my diet and it really worked for me.
Samantha
Claire DVM
Posted 2005-02-25 6:00 PM (#17728 - in reply to #17620)

I'd really like to redirect this thread a little -- I shouldn't have used the word diet! I just meant I need to improve what I eat on a day-to-day basis. I'm not looking for a "diet" such as the zone or whatever -- I don't believe in those. I was hoping for some fast, easy meal suggestions or good things to add and eat because, despite YogaGuy's article, it is much easier to pop a frozen pizza in the oven than it is to chop vegetables, cook brown rice, cut up veggies for a salad, etc. Since I'm in school, I cannot afford to eat fast food all the time, although I DO agree that it's just as fast to get healthy fast food as it is to get junk -- but not so when you are making your own meals!

I'm really more interested in getting away from highly processed food towards more whole foods. Isn't the zone diet cutting carbs somewhat? As a runner, I'm not interested in that -- I need a good amount of carbs, just less white ones

For example, what do you eat as a quick, filling meal when you are pressed for time and don't have time to cook or chop veggies? -- The juicer idea was more the type of thing I was going for. I'm also a vegetarian by the way.

Thanks!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-25 6:32 PM (#17730 - in reply to #17728)

Expert Yogi

I'm with you Claire - really.  I was serious about finding an Earthfare or Whole Foods Market because it's a great place to get ideas and they sell everything - including healthier frozen things and premade sandwiches and stuff that's usually organic or at least with natural ingredients that haven't been processed to the hilt.  Normally, I would tell you that frozen is not good for you, but it is certainly better than what you would get if you were eating fast food and junk.  So, what I am doing for my busy college son is I'm making him homemade granola.  I make it in big batches and it lasts for well over a week.  (You want me to send you some too:~)  Anyway, you can do pasta salads - I can think of at least 50 different styles, or you can make your food in advance on days when your not so busy, but you are going to have to prioritize and work a little - there is no way out of that.  Do you even have a kitchen?  Like my son does not.  I sent him a protein powder mix and he complained because he wanted a blender.  Anyway, if you do, then that is good, if not, go to a store like I mentioned, then get a small frig and a oh God I hate to say, Microwave (just don't overcook your food you'll nuke out all the nurtrients - when I have to use one, I have a rule for under 1 minute) or get an electric burner and a pot.  Let me know if you want some recipes for motivation...I think I can come up with some really simple ideas for you if you want them.  I'm going out of town right now, but I will think about this over the weekend.  Take care,

Cyndi

audreyh1
Posted 2005-02-25 6:34 PM (#17731 - in reply to #17620)

My health and weight situation improved a great deal when I cut out the refined carbs and ate whole grain ones instead, as well as increasing the fruits and vegetables in my diet.

I didn't eat junk/fast food or sweets before, but apparently the larger quantities of "white" carbs was enough to cause me to gain weight over a long period of time.

Like you said - eating quick, easy, highly processed food is not good for long term health and can definitely lead to weight gain.

High stress levels can lead to weight gain anyway, as high levels of cortisol in the body (it's a stress hormone) tends to increase fat deposition in the body.

Maybe when you get stressed reach for the healthiest carb you can find - like fresh fruit. Of course yoga breathing and yoga itself can really help with reducing stress.

Frequent (and healthy) snacking is a good idea too because it prevents situations where your blood sugar gets so low that you become ravenous and become desperate enough to eat anything.

The Harvard School of Public Health has a great web site on nutrition:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

They have a great page on the "Healthy Eating Pyramid" - it explains how the USDA Food Pyramid pushes refined grains to an unhealthy extent, and proposes a new pyramid that leads to much better health and avoids chronic disease.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramids.html

But as for the time issues - well I don't know how to help you there.

Audrey

Edited by audreyh1 2005-02-25 6:40 PM
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-25 7:26 PM (#17732 - in reply to #17620)

I generally will use the following guidelines.

Protien the size of your fist.
Veggies the size of your palm or bigger.
rice (white rice as my wife is chinese) or some kind of starch smaller then my palm.

It really does't take much longer to cook real food as opposed to a frozen pizza. Even if you are a student. My wife is doing her masters degree right now in addition to working full time and on her nights to cook it rarely take more then 20 min for her to finish cooking. Myself I take a little longer as I personally enjoy the process of cooking.

Rice cookers ar great, veggies take roughly 3 min to steam and most meats can be cooked (depending on the meat) with 10-15 min.

You can also cook enough to take left overs for the next day when you are on the go at school!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-25 7:29 PM (#17733 - in reply to #17728)

Claire DVM - 2005-02-25 6:00 PM

I'd really like to redirect this thread a little -- I shouldn't have used the word diet! I just meant I need to improve what I eat on a day-to-day basis. I'm not looking for a "diet" such as the zone or whatever -- I don't believe in those. I was hoping for some fast, easy meal suggestions or good things to add and eat because, despite YogaGuy's article, it is much easier to pop a frozen pizza in the oven than it is to chop vegetables, cook brown rice, cut up veggies for a salad, etc. Since I'm in school, I cannot afford to eat fast food all the time, although I DO agree that it's just as fast to get healthy fast food as it is to get junk -- but not so when you are making your own meals!

I'm really more interested in getting away from highly processed food towards more whole foods. Isn't the zone diet cutting carbs somewhat? As a runner, I'm not interested in that -- I need a good amount of carbs, just less white ones

For example, what do you eat as a quick, filling meal when you are pressed for time and don't have time to cook or chop veggies? -- The juicer idea was more the type of thing I was going for. I'm also a vegetarian by the way.

Thanks!

If you'd bothered to pay attention you'd note that the zone diet is based on the principal of eating 40% of your meal in the form of favorable carbs (fruits & vegetables) and 30% from protein and 30% from good monounsaturated fats (olives, avocados, almonds, etc). 40% doesn't sound low to me! Furthermore, you should read up on athletic nutrition and you'll see that the carb loading for runners myth has been debunked. If you're running regularly and still gaining weight then that's a bad sign.

The Zone is based on doing what your grandma told you and eating a BALANCED meal. It's just that Dr. Sears put some science into it and found out what the right balance was. It takes the guess work out of it. It doesn't mean you can't eat bad carbs but because they are usually so high in sugar, you won't be able to eat as much of them and stay in the zone. 9grams of carbs from 1/2 a slice of bread is equivalent to 9grams of carbs from 2 cups of broccoli. So you'll end up eating a lot MORE food if you stick to fibrous green vegetables instead of nutrient poor bread.

The zone doesn't limit you to any particular protein source, so you can still be a vegetarian and eat, soy, tofu, tempeh, mock meats, etc. as long as you balance the appropriate amount of carbs to your proteins and fats.

Furthermore, just because something is easier doesn't make it right. It's easier to steal someone else's money than to go and earn your own, but that doesn't justify it. You have to have some convictions and stick to them. You are able to avoid meat, so presumably you are able to make some choices based on your convictions but yet don't want to acknowledge that you are still making some wrong choices.

I have a 50 hr/wk job, I teach 3-6 yoga classes a week and 2 jiu jitsu classes. I practice yoga, jiujitsu and olympic lifting. I am trying hard to stay on a good cheap diet. It's not easy. It's really difficult. It $ucks!!! But every time I eat, I have a choice and I can make the right one or I can make the wrong one. Lately, I've been doing pretty well. Last month was horrible. I don't have time to cook and when I do, I try to make enough food so that I can pack it for lunch the next day or the day after.

Sadly there is NO EASY ANSWER. If you want health you practice yoga for 90 minutes a day, but most of us don't put that much effort into planning our meals or shopping or ordering food.

Here's what you do:

Drink a gallon of water every day!
avoid anything that has msg, high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils.
avoid grains--especially anything bleached, i.e. white
avoid sugar--especially refined sugar
carry apples, pears and nuts with you wherever you go
eat servings of vegetables the size of your 2 fists with every meal
eat a lean piece of protein the size of the palm of your hand at every meal
eat 3 meals a day
snack on nuts, avocados, olives

If you're going to make juice, do yourself a favor and buy some unflavored whey protein (if you eat whey, if not then soy) powder and add a serving of that to your juice. Drink your juices fresh because vitamin depletion is accelerated by juicing. Avoid lots of sugary juices (beets, carrots, apples) and try to drink lots of green stuff (spinach, kale, celery). Try adding ginger and lemon.

Get some multivitamins (a good antioxidant formula) and some fish oil caps (if you're not a fishetarian, then buy some flax seeds/oil). Omega 3 fatty acids are essential.

Cook enough for a few days and pack single serving containers and freeze them. It doesn't take that much more time to cook a big meal than a small meal so try to take one or two nights a week to prepare ahead. Good planning will help you stay on track.

Choose a few healthy items at your local restaurants near home and school. Commit those items to memory and when you are forced to eat out/order in, then get those items. Don't tempt yourself by looking at the menu everytime.

Get a support group. Find some other people that want to stay healthy with you and support each other. Make meals for each other and swap them. You don't want to eat the same tofu stir fry for the third day in a row, but it's new to someone else. She might be sick of her veggie chili so she'll gladly switch.

Repeat this mantra:

Get a support group! Drink a gallon of water ever day!

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-02-25 7:32 PM (#17734 - in reply to #17732)

yogabrian - 2005-02-25 7:26 PM

Protien the size of your fist.
Veggies the size of your palm or bigger.

QUOTE]

Brian, I think you got it backwards. Veggies equal the size of 2 fists and the protein equals the size of your palm. Yeah, you can 1/2 the veggies and add a small serving of rice. I'm only 1/2 asian so I only eat rice 1/2 the time.

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-25 7:35 PM (#17736 - in reply to #17620)

Something that I did when I was working two jobs and driving all over the place, with very little time to prepare food, was to create my own frozen entrees.

If I had a free Sunday afternoon, I'd whip up several very large recipes and then freeze them into small containers that I could grab and take with me (or devour quickly on my way out the door)! This works well for brown rice & veggies, soup, chili - stuff like that. The good news is, whole grains freeze a LOT better than white rice or noodles, which tend to get mushy apart when kept in moisture for very long! Barley even adds a nice heartiness to veggie chili. Doing things this way is also a lot cheaper in the long run than buying organic, whole grain, name brand frozen entrees (Amy's Kitchen, Cedarlane, Seeds of Change).

Also, some appliances have helped me to eat better on the run, particularly the crock pot and the electric rice cooker. My crock has an auto timer that turns itself down to "low" after 8 or 10 hours, so my food doesn't turn to mush if I'm gone for 14 hours at a time. There's something incredibly awesome about coming home to the smell of simmering soup, ready to be eaten! My rice cooker can accomodate recipes, so I've thrown all kinds of vegetables, beans, herbs, etc. in there with the rice (or any grain) and water. It also turns itself down to "low" once it senses all the water has been absorbed. The rice cooker was about $40 at Bed Bath & Beyond, and the crock w/ timer was around $50 but it's a huge model - you could get a smaller one much cheaper.

Something convenient and a little less expensive than frozen entrees, are little cardboard soup cups that you can get at your health food store. There are a lot of different brands & interesting flavors, and all you do is add boiling water - in 5 minutes, it's lunch!

Good luck, I know you'll find something that works for you!
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-25 8:26 PM (#17743 - in reply to #17620)

Yogaguy

LOL!
tourist
Posted 2005-02-26 10:29 AM (#17770 - in reply to #17736)

Expert Yogi

Juicer, my take - I never feel satisfied after a liquid "meal" so that would not work for me. Although to be fair I do use protein drinks sometimes - usually home made with tofu and stuff in the blender.

Crock pot - LOVE it! I do a lot of chilis and soups then freeze and grab for lunches.

Rice cooker - do they make good brown rice? When I have looked at them they don't seem to have different settings - do they just "know" the rice is ready or not? And why do they seem to only make seven billion cups of rice at a time? I need a smaller one...
audreyh1
Posted 2005-02-26 11:27 AM (#17774 - in reply to #17770)

The trick to brown rice in a cooker is to use more water. That's how they "cook longer" - they cook until the water is absorbed. It's hard to say how much more because it depends on the amount. But for 1 cup of brown rice I probably use 2 1/4 cups of water where I would use 1 1/2 cups for white. You have to experiment - too much water and the rice is mushy, too little and the rice is hard.

Audrey
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-26 12:26 PM (#17775 - in reply to #17620)

Actually my rice cooker makes brown rice MUCH better than I do it on the stove! I think it's because I just can't leave something on the stove for 45-60 minutes without messing with it - I have no self-control. Then it comes out mushy and gross and nobody will eat it.

With the rice cooker, I can actually leave it alone and everything comes out perfect (if I add the right amount of water, that is)! I've cooked long-grain brown rice, short-grain brown rice, basmati rice, wheat berries, quinoa, barley, kamut, you name it. Actually I don't think I've ever tried white rice in it! For some reason, it does *magically* know when the water is absorbed. Wheat berries take like 90 minutes, good heavens. I didn't know that, but the rice cooker did!

Mine does make large or small quantities, but since brown rice takes so long I like to make a ton and refrigerate it. Then I have it handy to add to soup or heat up for a quickie stir fry.

I also like to use it like the crock, adding all the hoo-ha for an actual recipe. My favorite is to throw about a cup & a half of brown rice, a can of diced tomatoes w/ green chiles, a can of pinto beans (drained & rinsed), a chopped onion, 3 cups of water & some chili powder or other seasonings. In one hour, I've got Mexican Rice! Yum! Tons of it, too, plenty to save for later.
Claire DVM
Posted 2005-02-26 1:21 PM (#17777 - in reply to #17620)

Cyndi -- thanks for the advice! Yes, I have a kitchen (I'm in vet school actually) and I'm a vegetarian -- I'd appreciate any quick & easy recipes you have time to post! We have a Whole Foods market near me, but I don't usually shop there unless I"m getting something that I don't think a regular supermarket will have because it's expensive -- but it's a great idea to check out their sandwiches and stuff for meal ideas. I will have to go there and see if they have bread that doesn't have so much junk added in!

YogaGuy, thanks for all your advice. Swapping foods with a friend is such a good idea! I do have a friend who is also trying to lose weight. Sorry about my ignorance of the zone diet, I was under the impression that it was a slightly less severe version of Atkins, but it actually makes sense and I've heard the 40-30-30 analogy before -- just didn't realize it was the zone.

jeansyoga -- The crock pot is a great idea!!!!! Wow, thank you that is exactly the type of thing I was looking for! I can make veggie chili yay! How do you make soup in there (canned/frozen veggies?)?

What is a good, not too expensive brand of crock pot to get? What features do you like with them? Turning to low after 10 hrs sounds good!

I had a rice cooker once but I couldn't get it to work (I got it from a friend and it might have been broken ??) and I think I threw it out, so I'm kind of wary of getting another!

Has anyone tried eating gluten-free? Any differences?

Thanks all!

Edited by Claire DVM 2005-02-26 1:29 PM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-26 6:16 PM (#17779 - in reply to #17620)

I've used both frozen and fresh veggies in the crock, usually just depending on the recipe and whatever is handy. When I am cooking regularly w/ fresh veggies, there always comes a day when there's just a bit of everything left and it's about to go bad - then I have a great big multi-veggie soup! Frozen ones often come out a bit mushier, but not terribly so. The only thing you can't really put in a crock is pasta or rice, that really just disintegrates too fast. Barley is a good one that holds its constitution better. Also, if you're just looking to add a starch w/o needing extra fiber, chopped redskin or yukon potatoes are great in a soup.

My crock is Rival brand, I'm not sure if that's the only one that makes the automatic timer or not. There is one at Sam's Club that holds 6 qts, and I think it's $39/ the timer and an extra dish that is divided so you can make an entree & side dish at the same time. You can find smaller ones as low as $15 at Walmart but they have no timer.

Some rice cookers are actually just steamers w/ an extra dish for rice. I didn't like the way mine turned out in that. I sprung for the $40 electric Krups version because it had the ability to handle recipes. Some knucklehead at my office scraped the bottom with a metal spoon so now it doesn't sense the water absorption as well, but it's still my favorite kitchen appliance.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-26 7:13 PM (#17781 - in reply to #17777)

Expert Yogi

I bought my crock pot at a garage sale so it was only about 5 bucks years ago. No fancy features but you just throw stuff in and it cooks. Maybe we should ask for a recipe section on the boards. I cook by "feel" more than recipes but ideas are always helpful.

If you like tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes are awesome and they come on sale pretty regularly. Throw a big can of tomatoes in the crock pot and add 2 or 3 cans of various beans - black, chick and kidney is a nice combo. Now, you can get into controversy here - my daughter is a firm believer in rinsing of the canned beans and I use the "juice". She is the one who cooks for a living (not a professional chef yet but cooks in a busy restaurant) but I'm a mom - who are ya gonna believe, eh? Anyway, use your own discretion. Then open your spice cupboard and go nuts. I always add lots of powdered garlic and onion because DH doesn't like the chunks but you can go fresh if you want. Dried or fresh parsley, oregano, basil, cilantro, chilis or chili powder, peppers, a little cinnamon is nice. Or go the curry route with the same main ingreds. Or go Italian with mainly oregano and basil. Throw in whatever veg you have sitting in the fridge and voila! Supper! Soup is whatever soup base you like - there are lots of good organic soup cubes out there now, add whatever veg and spices you like, cook til done then throw it all in the blender for a creamy soup or leave it chunky or half and half. Top it with cheese, sour cream or even cottage cheese and it looks very posh.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-27 10:59 AM (#17816 - in reply to #17620)

I think a big part of whether to rinse the beans (aside from personal taste) comes from whether or not you need to cut back on sodium. Heart disease runs in my family, both grandparents had congestive heart failure and now my mother does. When I cook for mom, I have to use dried beans because she's on a VERY low sodium diet. For myself and my husband, I just rinse the canned ones.

But, if you don't have a predilection toward heart disease, a low-sodium diet is not going to make a difference. So eat as you like!

I would love to see a recipe section in the new Diet & Nutrition forum! Maybe I will have to start one up!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)