YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NEED to improve my diet - help
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Balen
Posted 2005-02-27 5:45 PM (#17872 - in reply to #17620)
Subject: RE: NEED to improve my diet - help

Wow

Thank you all this a great POST and replies......

Great links thank you Yoga Guy and others.

The link from Yoga Guy

http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/pmenu/issues/pmenu_issue1.pdf

Wow now she has a sexy back

Top of the page Bottom of the page
audreyh1
Posted 2005-02-27 9:39 PM (#17878 - in reply to #17872)

Balen - 2005-02-27 4:45 PM
The link from Yoga Guy

http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/pmenu/issues/pmenu_issue1.pdf

Wow now she has a sexy back

She's a strong woman! Her shoulders and arms look terrific.

Audey
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-27 10:01 PM (#17881 - in reply to #17878)

Expert Yogi

This is even better than the Zone diet....my sister and I have this rule about the grocery store when your shopping - STAY OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE STORE and only shop on the sides -  Fruit & Veggies, Dairy, Bread, (Meat - if your eating it) - there you go, your 4 basic food groups and it will save you lots of $$$ too.  Also, if the ingredients are not your basic ones, and have scientific names like Monosodium Glutamate, or BHT, BGT whatever, DON'T EAT IT. Happy shopping:~
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-28 8:43 AM (#17924 - in reply to #17620)

I disagree that it will save you money, at least not where I live. Fresh fruit and veggies are not cost effective compared to frozen, and they don't last if you have a crazy schedule without time to prepare fresh meals every day. Plus you will miss any prepared soups, granola, etc. that might be on sale, they might have a bit more chemistry in them than fresh but they're still a halfway decent option if you're pressed for time.

Maybe it's different where you live. The only grocery store in my town has perfectly horrid fruit that goes bad in a day or two and costs a fortune. Same with veggies. The only way to shop just the outside of the store would be to go every day, which after working 2 jobs doesn't leave much time for preparing all these fresh, healthy feasts.

I'm not saying load up on Cap'n Crunch and kettle chips, just saying that eating only fresh food is not a viable option for everyone. There are some healthy frozen and pre-prepared options available nowadays, more than there used to be.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-28 10:35 PM (#17984 - in reply to #17924)

Expert Yogi

Oh my God, where do you live??? I thought I lived in the boondocks..and we have a nice little Ingles here with some pretty good selections - another words I could never starve on the fresh stuff.  Ingles will tide me over until I can reach civilization in Atlanta to hit Whole Foods Market.  I mostly do stir fry's and lots of different combinations.  Like I always have some kind of rice on hand and cooking in the rice cooker, or I bake my own Naan (don't even try this one if you don't have time, but you can buy it frozen at the Indian Market if you have one).  Naan is really nice for using like a burrito or the traditional way of eating is to break a piece off then scoop up your vegetable using the Naan as you would a utensil.  Then I pick out 2-3 different veggies - I pick for color cause I like my food to look good when I eat it - like Cauliflower and Red Bell Peppers go well together, then Broccoli and Mushrooms, or Green Bell Peppers and Red Potatoes, or a fried 3 color - Egg, Tofu, Sprouts and Green Onion, or Egg, Celery and Carrots, BokChoy and Tomatoes (cherry looks good), Spinach and garlic.  I always sprinkle freshly chopped cilantro over the egg dishes.  We eat only twice a day and my breakfast is very light like toast and chai - sometimes granola & fruit muffins, then a late afternoon dinner which consists of the vegetable combo and rice and Dal - but not everyday cause I still don't like to eat many legumes as I can't digest them well.  I drink Protein on days when I'm not doing Yoga and sometimes after a good Yoga stretch to help repair the ligaments cause I do that Hot Bikram stuff that nobody likes:~)  So, there, you can stay out of the frozen section easy.  Vegetable stir fry's are mostly time consuming when you have to chop the vegetables...I just can't eat that frozen stuff, its like eating lifeless food. I want it alive - and no, I've never heard my vegetables scream at me before:~)  So, like are we suppose to be moving this topic to another section...or do we let this one die out?? I received some notice the other day about a diet section.
LoraB
Posted 2005-02-28 11:08 PM (#17988 - in reply to #17620)

Well, I live in the city, and grocery shopping is literally a day out of the week for me! First, I take the bus or walk, so you have wait/travel time there...Plus, Jewel has the meat at reasonable prices but crappy produce and everything else is expensive. Whole Foods has really expensive produce and mean but reasonably priced decent prepared foods and the oddities you can't necessarily find anywhere else. And the third stop is this tiny, crappy little produce shop in BFE that has super-cheap and wonderful organic produce. Their organic produce, for the most part, is the same cost or even cheaper than their conventional. And it's fun, becuase they don't always have the same selection, so it's a treasure hunt! Three stores and 4 hours later I'm done shopping! But it's worth it to get the prices that I need on my student budget while also eating well. I can get 2 weeks of produce for about $20 at the little store, where I've only gotten about a week of produce at Whole Foods. I just did all my shopping at Jewel last weekend out of necessity and ended up spending twice as much as I anticipated, while getting just about the amount of food I had planned on. Not good when you're teaching yourself how to cook! (My ex of 5 years was in culinary school and made every meal - I come from a family of women who burn boil-in-bag rice more than once )
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-01 10:15 AM (#18007 - in reply to #17988)

Expert Yogi

If your in a big city you can do like we do and cheat the American grocery stores.  How??  We go to the Oriental market's.  If I lived in NYC I would be in heaven - they sell the veggies on the streets.  I like to eat Bitter Melon and the wierd Chinese vegetables.  So, in Atlanta there are a few of them and they are really cheap and the vegetables are very fresh.  They last so much longer in the Frig. especially since I drive 2hrs to get mine and go once a week when I do go.  Otherwise I use the local store here.  I could easily live on $50 for 2-3 people per week.  Since my husband travels its mainly 2 of us. 

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)