YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Laxmi or Cow??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Star
Posted 2005-02-25 11:17 AM (#17683)
Subject: Laxmi or Cow??

Cyndi, Im very confused. In one thread you said that your husband call you " Laxmi" The other thread you said Laxmi = Cow...???? does this mean ur husband call u ;???? Im sorry, I have no idea about your culture. could you please explain??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-25 11:37 AM (#17686 - in reply to #17683)
Subject: RE: Laxmi or Cow??

Expert Yogi

Well, this is a loaded question and will take many posts to answer completely.  Maybe Neel Bhai will fill in my gaps.  Briefly, Laxmi is one of the Hindu Goddesses.  She is the goddess of prosperity, health and many other things.  Laxmi had to incarnate into the cow (this is a story that I will have to post later to get the exact details otherwise someone will pick it to death and make me look totally stupid.  So, that is the reason Laxmi is associated with the cow (I do not mind being called this as cows in India and Nepal are not fat and overweight like the ones in America - it is an honor for me).

Also, in the Nepalis culture, when a woman marries, she goes to live with her husband's family.  When she arrives they have a red carpet layed out with flowers and offerings (abisheka if you will) to welcome her into their family.  They believe she comes in the form of Laxmi and that she will bring prosperity to their family.  IF, they treat her badly, it is very bad luck and will do the opposite:~

Americans are eating poor Laxmi to death and have totally mistreated her:~)  Cya later,

Cyndi aka Laxmi

Om Shri Maha Laxmi Deviya Namaha

Edited by Cyndi 2005-02-25 11:38 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-25 1:02 PM (#17693 - in reply to #17686)

Expert Yogi

P. S. One more thing before I forget..the woman when she enters the house of her groom has to tip over a copper bowl of rice with her foot, which spills the rice into the house - this brings in Laxmi.   Kinda interesting compared to our throwing the rice huh??

afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-25 2:31 PM (#17700 - in reply to #17683)

Both traditions are very nice as long as you don't use boiled rice........

Star
Posted 2005-02-25 8:32 PM (#17746 - in reply to #17683)

Thanks for the nice explanation Cyndi. Nice to hear that you dont mind calling you Cow.. Any way somewhere down the line I thought there must be a good relationship ! I realised it now...... Thanks Cow !!.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)