YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Book reviews....pls
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

loli
Posted 2005-02-27 3:13 AM (#17795)
Subject: Book reviews....pls

HI everyone,
I am on the verge of purchasing 'Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha' as I have heard from many people that it is brilliant. I am also contemplating Srk K Pattabhi Jois' Yoga Mala and may 'push the boat out' and buy both!.....I can't help wishing I could pick these up at the bookshop locally and have a look through them first before buying(but they don't stock them)....has anyone here got/read these books? If so, could you tell me what you think of them?
Thanks
Laura

Edited by loli 2005-02-27 3:26 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twisti
Posted 2005-02-27 10:35 AM (#17808 - in reply to #17795)
Subject: RE: Book reviews....pls

Yoga Mala wasn't bad but not worth what I paid for it IMHO. It was about 10-15 pages of basic philosophy stuff and then the rest was instruction, much the same as you could get from any other Asthanga book. (I read it about two years back now.)

What exactly are you looking for in a book? Instruction? Theory? Philosophy?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-27 10:39 AM (#17810 - in reply to #17795)

Not sure where you have to shop, but there is an ashram where I took my teacher training that has the most WONDERFUL bookshop. Lots of hard to find items, including Indian printings. It is called Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, and now they are on the web at www.arshavidya.org (including the store). The gentleman who runs the bookshop is a great guy, very chatty, who knows all about most of the books and hears all about what everyone thinks of them. Not sure of the phone number, but it is on their website.
tourist
Posted 2005-02-27 11:01 AM (#17817 - in reply to #17795)

Expert Yogi

Lauara - one thing about shopping online is to always check out the used section. I hae found stuff there at reduced prices which sometimes makes up for having to pay shipping. The big places such as barnes and noble and amazon, and abe books all have various ways of hooking the buyer up with a small bookstore that has copies of the books needed. It has worked well the few times I've done it.
loli
Posted 2005-02-27 11:56 AM (#17827 - in reply to #17795)

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I have ordered Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha and The Heart of Yoga: Developing a personal practice by Desikachar, today online (don't know if I am allowed to say who, but they're one of the big shops)....They had a deal for the two and I liked the sound of the reviews of Desikachar's book. Also, there is a yoga shop in London and on their website they held a 'big read' poll of their customers to find their favourite 100 yoga books; 'A,P,M,B' was top and Desikachar's was 2nd...that helped me decide too. I really wanted a blend of philosophy, insight and practice ideas/instruction. Now I have to be patient until the expected delivery date of 8 or 9th March.......
Jeansyoga, the ashram bookshop sounds great, I haven't checked out the website yet (will do after this post). I live in Kent, England.....Not too far from London I suppose (takes just over an hour on the motorway) but not close enough to 'pop' down to the bookshop....There are some big bookshops in Canterbury (about 15mins away) but their selection of Yoga books is a bit sparse....
Thanks, and I will let you know what I think of the books when they arrive.
Laura
tourist
Posted 2005-02-27 1:20 PM (#17842 - in reply to #17827)

Expert Yogi

Laura - the big UK shop is great (no names - I forgot! ). I have ordered stuff from them that arrived really quickly. They also have a super thin, grip only travel mat that folds up into a really small bundle which I love.
twisti
Posted 2005-02-27 1:55 PM (#17846 - in reply to #17795)

The Heart of Yoga: Developing a personal practice by Desikachar

good book
loli
Posted 2005-03-03 7:53 AM (#18143 - in reply to #17795)

Hi,
I am still waiting for the books to arrive....I am snowed in and really really wish they were here for me to read, I can't stop thinking about them!!!!!....sorry, just had to have a whinge....feel like a child waiting for Santa to come.....I know, I know, "patience is a virtue..."
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-03 9:29 AM (#18145 - in reply to #17846)

Expert Yogi

Thank you Jean!!  I appreciate that information and ashram website. That is a great website chock full of everything!!  The bookstore has some of the best selections I have ever seen  - and so organized with a vast selection.  Anyway, I would like to hear more about your experience with that ashram and how you were connected to it as I have my own thing developing right now, would you please email me or send me a pm about it.  Thanks a bunch:~)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)