YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If its something really hurts?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Thushara
Posted 2005-02-28 6:42 AM (#17915)
Subject: If its something really hurts?

Guys,

when you are so hurt what do you do?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
loli
Posted 2005-02-28 8:28 AM (#17920 - in reply to #17915)
Subject: RE: If its something really hu

Are you talking physical or emotional pain? If it is physical pain, stop, do not work in pain...if it is emotional pain it is very personal but, in the words of REM "Everybody hurts sometimes...." and you will get through the pain and time will heal. A bit of a cliche but...
I hope that I am not barking up the wrong tree here, your question was pretty ambiguous....
Laura
afroyogi
Posted 2005-02-28 4:26 PM (#17961 - in reply to #17920)

loli - 2005-02-28 2:28 PM
If it is physical pain, stop, do not work in pain...

Except maybe it's just sore muscles. In that case practicing further is highly recommended ... so I heard ... and that's what I do anyway.
Claire DVM
Posted 2005-02-28 5:04 PM (#17964 - in reply to #17915)
Subject: RE: If its something really hurts?

Respect your body! Really. Pain has evolved the way it has so that we don't do things to injure ourselves further. If it's just muscle soreness, you can work gently through it, but if it is real pain, especially sharp pain, make sure you stop, take some time off, or do another pose. That's true of anything, not just yoga. If it continues for a long time, talk to your teacher or go see a doctor.

What is hurting?
audreyh1
Posted 2005-03-02 10:44 AM (#18086 - in reply to #17915)
Subject: RE: If its something really hurts?

I try to be very sensitive to my body during yoga so I can understand what is going on. I have had occasion of a muscle pull - once when I went too deep into a seated forward bend. This felt like a twinge and then soreness in the lower back which lasted for days. I understood what I had done, and I quit doing forward seated bends for at least a month. I was very protective of the lower back area until I felt it had healed. I am much more mindful now in seated forward bend not to pull, but to relax into it.

But I often have muscle tightness or soreness (usually from lifting weights or other such activity), and in this case i simply work very gently through this tightness or soreness - that is where yoga is really great.

Sharp pain = danger signs, back off immediately! Try to understand what went wrong and don't repeat it!

Audrey
Dragon
Posted 2005-03-03 2:05 AM (#18129 - in reply to #17915)

Poor Thushara!

Let us know what type of pain it is. I sure hope it isn't emotional pain. I think emotional pain is worse than physical pain (most of the time anyway!).

How to deal with emotional pain is a book within itself!

Going on what others have said, I agree that I try to work out soreness, but if I have a "sharp shooter" I stop.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)