YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My illium is locked???
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Claire DVM
Posted 2005-02-28 8:17 PM (#17974)
Subject: My illium is locked???

My physical therapist told me last week that I could start running again today after my "last" visit, after 4 weeks off because of chronic shin splint problems on the left. Well, on my visit today, he changed his mind and said I can't! I'm so mad!!! It does still hurt though. . .

He also told me that my illium on my right side is locked --it doesn't move when i bend my knee and bring my leg up so my upper leg is parallel to the floor.

Also, when I lie on my back, my legs are the same length, but when I sit up it appears that my right leg is about 1 1/2" longer than my left! Weird! Any thoughts? Anyone have a problem like this? What asanas might help loosen up my tight hip bone and right leg?

I dont' know if it's contributing to the chronic shin splint in my left leg only. .. which is what i'm taking the time off for.

Thanks for your help!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-01 11:37 AM (#18019 - in reply to #17974)
Subject: RE: My illium is locked???

From what little I know of running I have heard and tend to believe that shin splints are predominantly caused and aggravated by bad form. Although PTs might be able to help it and might know what they're talking about, I would also seek out a seasoned track/marathon coach and get some lessons in running form.

As for Ilium problems and legs of varying lengths, I have surprisingly little to say. I recommend practicing yoga regularly and pay special attention to your hips. Pay attention to how you move your legs in your hip sockets. If it is indeed "locked" then you are going to have to learn to use your muscles to unlock it. Lots of relaxation, gentle yoga, massage and heat will also help unlock a joint.

Best of luck.
Xavier
Posted 2005-03-01 3:23 PM (#18030 - in reply to #17974)

I used to have a simillar thing with legs of different lengths in certain positions. As Yoga Guy recommends, regular yoga practice with particular attention to your hips should benefit you.

In my own experience, working with a wall can really help to even up your hips by creating even strength on both sides.

E.g:
Supta padangusthasana with the grounded foot pressing against the wall
Dandasana with your feet pressing against a wall

Also, imbalance in your hips is often linked to misalignment in your legs. You could try working on your feet and shins - Virasana is great for this, as are all the standing poses ( as usual.. ).

Hip imbalances take a lot of time and patience. A good iyengar teacher should be able to identify and correct any patterns of misalignment you have. It is very easy to go back to bad habits when you are tired, or over exerted (eg. running). I hold a lot of tension in my hips which has taken a year to start to overcome. Practice regularly and patiently and I hope you find relief.
samantha77
Posted 2005-03-01 3:51 PM (#18033 - in reply to #17974)

Extreme Veteran

I have been a runner for about 10 years, and when I ran track in college, I had really bad shin splints for 2 seasons. What type of running do you do? Are you a sprinter, or do you run distance? Do you run competitively? In my case, as I was told by the athletic trainer, my shin splints were caused by the shift from non-competitive running (I ran as a from of cross training for other sports) to training to be a sprinter. One stretch in particlular helped me alot. You stand facing a wall, and place the ball of you foot on the wall with the heal of your foot on the floor. Bend your knee gently. This will bring the stretch from the back of your leg to the shin. My coach always made me hold the stretch on each leg for three minutes.
Strengthening exercises also seem to alleviate shin splint pain. A good one is to spread a towel (one the size of a face towel is good) on the floor. Sit on a chair in fron of the towel, and place your bare foot on the towel. With your toes, wrinkle the towel and then spread it out again. You're really only moving your toes on this one. Your heal, and the rest of your foot should remain still. I did 15 reps on each side. I would definitely talk to your physical therapist before trying either the stretch, or the exercise mentioned above. They both helped me greatly, but i did them under the direction of a coach, and an athletic trainer. One last bit of advice about what to do when your shin splints are acting up: I freeze water in dixie cups, and rub the ice over the area that hurts. Not different from an ice pack, I guess, but you can give your shins a massage with the ice, and then peel back the dixie cup as it melts.
Let me know if you need any more advice about shin splints! I have more than my fair share of experience with them
Samantha
bomberpig
Posted 2005-03-02 3:11 AM (#18066 - in reply to #17974)

I have heard many people say orthotics are a good option for shin splints, providing you can afford it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)