YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga is weird
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

silentzen_101
Posted 2005-03-01 4:11 PM (#18036)
Subject: yoga is weird

this is the response i get from most people after i tell them that i do yoga. why do most people see yoga as being weird or freaky? also why do most people see yoga as a thing only girls do. im a guy and i think yoga is harder than some sports that i have tried.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-01 4:20 PM (#18037 - in reply to #18036)
Subject: RE: yoga is weird

I guess it's because they just don't understand, and haven't tried it themselves! Everyone fears the unknown. Don't take offense, just laugh and know that someday they will see the truth, if they are ever ready.

Yoga is currently practiced by more women than men in the U.S., but that is largely because most women have certain natural flexibilities that are harmonious with yoga. However, it was traditionally practiced by men when it began 5000 years ago in India. Back then, it was considered sacred and women were not even ALLOWED to practice!

Many (male) athletes agree with you on the difficulty and benefits of yoga, and practice regularly to stay strong and avoid injury. I don't think anybody would tell Eddie George that yoga is weird. At least not to his face!
audreyh1
Posted 2005-03-01 4:46 PM (#18041 - in reply to #18036)

Apparently quite a few people think yoga is only simple stretching and thus very light exercise. Many people don't have a clue as to how challenging yoga can be in terms of strength and stamina.

I guess I don't mention my yoga practice unless someone else is interested in it.

Audrey
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-01 7:54 PM (#18051 - in reply to #18041)

Expert Yogi

Yeah, snicker snicker, have 'em hold a few arm balances, the hard ones, or just
stand in Virabhadrasana I, II, or III for four minutes.....let's hear how yoga
isn't strenuous after that.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-02 4:03 AM (#18070 - in reply to #18037)

I'd like to see the result if anyone suggested to the England rugby union team that yoga's weird as many of them practise for the improved balance and flexibility it gives them in dodging tackles.

*S*

Fee
ganesha
Posted 2005-03-02 6:07 AM (#18075 - in reply to #18036)

many yogis suggest not to talk about our sadhana, as it should be considered sacred and not be treated as a topic for conversation. It seems to me that your personal experience confirms this is a good advice
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-02 11:01 AM (#18088 - in reply to #18036)

I tell them they can kiss my mula bandha! Then I proudly display it to them. That seems to work.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-02 1:34 PM (#18089 - in reply to #18088)

Expert Yogi

Traditionally, you should keep your mouth shut...that is what all the guru's say even the Tibetan ones.  But since we are in America no rules SEEM to apply - especially in Yoga. I truly feel that by living an example is the best policy, that way we don't have to go out and preach the gospel of Yoga.  Its always better to have someone ask rather than tell, it seems to have more power and meaning!  Besides, I got burned a long time ago trying to convert my family and friends to my philosophy's...when I stopped doing that they respected me more and then a few years later, people automatically ask me what I do - that is an incredible feeling to not have to work at it and the ones asking feel better too, because they came on their own without feeling pressured when they weren't ready.  To me that is the meaning of true freedom:~)

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-02 1:39 PM
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-02 2:00 PM (#18091 - in reply to #18036)

There's a pretty big difference between trying to convert others and simply talking about a practice. Sharing the philosophies and some personal experience without expecting the other person to share the enthusiasm or buy into it is simply that - letting people know what it's about when there's a natural conversational rythym. Personally I've found that the deeper I delve into my own pracitce the less likely I am to talk about it, probably for a couple of reasons. It's become a fixture in my life and the brand-new shine of it isn't there - though it's still exciting and wonderful and challenging, and I more fully own my practice every time I work. I'm happy to talk about particular asanas or ideas, or share when I finally *get* an asana that I haven't had before, but prefer not to divulge the rest of the details. In the beginning though, I could have talked all day long about it. Has anyone else found that the more they practice, the less they talk?
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-02 2:35 PM (#18093 - in reply to #18036)

I'm personally still in the want to talk about it all the time phase! I want to read all I can, buy new yoga clothes, show my boyfriend all the new asanas I can do, etc etc. I'm sure the "newness" will wear off as I my path as a true yogi deepens.

am
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-02 3:02 PM (#18096 - in reply to #18091)

Expert Yogi

I just had an interesting experience related to this topic.  I called a referred dog trainer for my new puppy - Yoda.  Anyway, on my voice mail greeting I say Namaste` and at the end I say Danyabad, because my husband is Hindi and I have lots of Hindi friends.  Anyway, this girl calls me back and leaves me a message like Do you do Yoga? how do you know about Namaste`? yadda yadda, I can't wait to talk to you about your new puppy!  Well, we just got off the phone and come to find out we knew alot of the same people and it just came naturally to have a conversation about yoga.  She was of course in a different place than me - but we shared info, she knew my Yoga teacher and our experience was similar.  You know, I didn't say a word about what I did, it just happened naturally.  She also had some inquires about some other alternative health things and the conversation just went on.    I know this is not exactly the same, but it kinda is in the fact that - Why does anyone need to go out of their way to talk about what they do??  That is a form of preaching and that is not what Yoga is about.  I think that people that come to Yoga willingly, not pressured, and as if they discovered it on their own they are more likely to stay and complete their mission, rather than the other like giving up because they weren't ready and because they thought it was weird.  That is not to say that it can't be done, I think it has more power and meaning for the person receiving the benefit of the Yoga practice, since it is a personal thing. 

In the early days of my newfound knowledge of alternative medicine and spirituality, I remember close family members wanting me to make appointments for them or friends saying, please make me an appointment.   After them not showing up or whatever,  I immediately learned to say NO WAY, you make your own appointments, if I am ever asked.  I give the information if asked and let them do it on their own.  Besides, Yoga wouldn't be weird if the people making it weird didn't impose their strange belief's on us and it's like Bruce's problem with Savansana and the OM chanting that some people are NOT ready for yet, if at all.  If you truly want to keep people interested you must learn what each person likes and dislikes are and have a deep respect for that...otherwise I would say you are not a very good practitioner and/or Instructor and you have a lot to learn:~

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-02 3:08 PM
silentzen_101
Posted 2005-03-02 4:59 PM (#18104 - in reply to #18096)

thank you for th ereplies, i dont talk about yoga at all but sometimes when i am in discussion about training for sports it comes up and then i get the remarks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)