YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

set of beginner poses
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

justinpayswell
Posted 2005-03-02 3:27 AM (#18069)
Subject: set of beginner poses

Hi,

I took in a few drop in classes at a local yoga studio and now I'm signed up for an eight week course. I can't afford to take any more classes than one a week. I'd like to do a home practice on the days that I'm not at the class. A big problem for me is that I can't really remember any of the poses after I leave the class. Would anybody out there mind providing me with the names of a set of poses that would be suitable for a beginner? If you would that would be much appreciated! thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-02 6:59 AM (#18076 - in reply to #18069)
Subject: RE: set of beginner poses

Expert Yogi

There's a section on the YogaJournal.com web site that describes
poses and how to do them. They are mostly beginner-level postures.
If you look through that, it may trigger your memory.

Another suggestion --- after class ends, write down the sequence of poses
you did. Then get the detailed instructions from the web site above.

tourist
Posted 2005-03-02 10:01 AM (#18082 - in reply to #18069)

Expert Yogi

Hi Justin - one class a week is fine. Practice at home is great! There is a new book called "Yoga Your Way" by Cindy Dollar that is a wonderful practice book. She is an Iyengar teacher so (I am assuming you are doing Iyengar since you posted under that heading) the poses and modifications will look familar to you. It is very reasonable and I see the big online chains even have is used for cheaper than retail. It only came out in January, I think so they won't be very "used" Anyway, it has everything from 10 - 90 minute practices and lots of good info about the poses.

I often suggest that people start with one thing they liked from each week's class and one that they didn't like. You can usually remember the ones you didn't like really well
justinpayswell
Posted 2005-03-03 6:01 PM (#18176 - in reply to #18069)

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! Oh yes, it's iyengar yoga I've been practicing although the instructor says he throws a few other things in as well too.
justinpayswell
Posted 2005-03-03 6:01 PM (#18177 - in reply to #18069)

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! Oh yes, it's iyengar yoga I've been practicing although the instructor says he throws a few other things in as well too.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-03 6:55 PM (#18182 - in reply to #18069)

Justin

Get a book and write down the poses you did after class. Although there is no rule that you have to practice what you learned in class it makes a lot of sense to do it. If you were taking piano lessons you'd work on the same piece of music between lessons and hopefully come back the following week better at it.

I don't think in your case it will be fruitful to learn one set of poses online and practice them at home during the week and then go to yoga class and do something different. You're better off reinforcing the lessons from class and coming back each time a little better.

Also this form of introspective work will allow you to come to class and ask questions. You can say, "I was practicing trikonasana this week like you taught us, but I was having difficulty..." Then your teacher can give you some more personalized advice and help you really deepen your practice.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-03 10:01 PM (#18194 - in reply to #18182)

Expert Yogi

But for beginner level poses, you can easily get the instructions online for the poses in your
teacher's sequences, and save the cost of the book..unless your teacher has some specific
book that you are supposed to be following.

If you are out for a beginner level Iyengar book, the one by the Mehta's is good.
I think the title is "Yoga, the Iyengar Way". (The cover says Yoga Murga {path} in
Sanskrit).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)