YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mahashivaratri Day Celebration
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-08 10:06 AM (#18477)
Subject: Mahashivaratri Day Celebration

Dear Yoga Friends:
Today is Mahashivaratri day, which is celebrated by a major population of Yoga Practiotioners all over the world. To know about it, search on the net. For those who have interest, you are welcome to join a session at my place today: Let us make it 7 p.m. as follows:

- a beginning prayer,
- some or lot of chanting from various persons
- some speech or comments from various persons
- aarati of Lord Shiva
- any food which I give and you bring.
- we can go as late as people want.

If I get more than 20 persons interested, I shall rent a room nearby, I need to know by 2 p.m.

NOTE: Patanjali Yoga Aphorism - 2nd Chapter Workshop is on this Saturday, 12th, at 1 p.m. in Sun and Moon, Arlington. www.sunandmoonstudio.com

OM namaH shivAya.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-08 11:05 AM (#18484 - in reply to #18477)
Subject: RE: Mahashivaratri Day Celebration

Expert Yogi

Dear NeelBhai,

Best wishes for a Happy Mahashivaratri Day..if I were in your area I'd be there.  Instead, I'm heading to the South Indian Atlanta Hindu Temple to do the Lingodbhava Abhishekam at midnite.  I will keep you in my thoughts throughout the day.  Many Blessings to you and your family. Om Nama Shivia & Shanti Shanti Shanti

Namaste`

Cyndiben

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-08 11:39 AM (#18487 - in reply to #18477)
Subject: RE: Mahashivaratri Day Celebration

Expert Yogi

Dear Brother Neel,

Thanks for the invitation, but I can't be there. I will make special acknowledgement
of Siva in my practice today.

Can you define aarati for me? I don't know the word.

Hare Hare Mahadeva Shambu!
Dragon
Posted 2005-03-08 11:50 AM (#18488 - in reply to #18477)
Subject: RE: Mahashivaratri Day Celebra

Happy Mahashivaratri Day!

I wish I were closer and didn't have to work today!

--Dragon
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-08 1:24 PM (#18498 - in reply to #18477)

thanks to all.

BG: aarati = aarta - a sound which is emotional generally associated with a pain caused by worldly experiences (parinamatapasanskardukhairgunavrittvirodhachcha dukhameva sarvam vivekinah - patanjali second chapter). aarati is a prayer where the devote asks with aarta sound for help from the deity of aarati. during this the devotee praises the deity for all greatness, etc. And, asks for the help in order to overcome material problems, mental problems, or crossing the sea of sansara, that is the liberation, which alone puts the end to all problems of sansara.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-08 8:17 PM (#18529 - in reply to #18498)

Expert Yogi

Thanks again, Neel.

Om nama Sivaya.
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-08 10:18 PM (#18535 - in reply to #18477)

Happy Mahashivaratri Day! to U kulkarnn and all the others...

Thushara
Posted 2005-03-08 11:30 PM (#18541 - in reply to #18535)

BTW I got a Question Kulkarnn

What do you celebrate on Mahashivarathri day? Is it Lord Shiva and Parvatis marriage you celebrate?. In my country only the Hindu community celebrate it and its a government holiday for us. (Mercantile holiday only for people who celebrate it )
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-09 3:26 AM (#18549 - in reply to #18477)

the details:

The Hindu festival of Mahashivaratri is celebrated on the 14th day of the dark fortnight of the Magh month, as per the Hindu lunar calendar. The Shiva principle is most active on this day of the year.

Maha Shivaratri literally means 'the night (ratri) of the Supreme God principle (Shiva)'. Accordingly, the various religious rituals and observances on this festival take place chiefly at night. Hindus observe a strict fast on this day; some devotees do not partake of even a drop of water. In observance of MahaShivratri people repeat the Panchakshara mantra, ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ throughout the night. Like all vowed religious observances, the observance of MahaShivaratri aims to gain control over one’s raja (spiritual component of action, passion) and tama (spiritual component of ignorance, darkness). This is done by spending the entire day at the feet of Lord Shiva by continuously worshipping Him, sitting in one place. This helps control motion or activity, which is a manifestation of the raja component. Further, by observing vigil throughout the night helps reduce the tama component and its manifestations such as lust, anger, jealousy, etc.

brother neel, thanks for the reminder! shiva is my mentor teachers favourite - today is a good day to send him an email!! i know swamiji will be happy that i thought of him on this day - thanks so much for this post!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-09 11:02 AM (#18572 - in reply to #18477)

I am glad that you connected with your teacher with Shiva association.

Thushara: I celebrate it via chanting. I am not fully knowledgeable on the whole story behind it. You can see on the net. My roommate observed fast whole day without even water, and ate after evening worship.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-09 10:07 PM (#18613 - in reply to #18572)

Thanks Kira for the explanation., Yeah I googled it and found scientific and spiritual reasons for it., One of my Hindu friends here said that they celebrate Lord Shiva's and Parvati's marriage on that day., But I always look forward to taipongal, that’s the say all my Hindu friends bring nice food for me.. They don’t bring anything on mahashivarathri day

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)