YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga in the real world
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-03-12 2:04 AM (#18807)
Subject: yoga in the real world

picture it: i am on my mama cherry (bike with a basket), loaded down with groceries, hauling my sore a$$ home in a very rapid fashion. dodging cars, pedestrians and whatever else is in my way. no time to stop but i am thirsty! i know i have a bottle of water in my backpack....one hand on the handlebars as i reach around behind my back, deep into the outside pocket and taa-daa!!!! reach in and grab the bottle (i am still racing along) - mission accomplished, thirst quenched, time saved.

i owe it all to gomukhasana!!!

you might say, why didnt you just stop? my answer: cause i'm kira

my point is that all this yoga is really applicable in my "real" world.

i can dust all the way under the entertainment centre without moving it too!!

i love yoga
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-12 7:26 AM (#18817 - in reply to #18807)
Subject: RE: yoga in the real world

That's awesome! I'd love to hear more "real world" stories from everyone!

About 1 year after I starting yoga, I was on my way to the car after my morning practice. Hands full of my work supplies, lunch, purse, etc, I slipped on the ice and elegantly fell right onto my hip. Because my body was relaxed, I had no injury or soreness whatsoever! I did have to change my outfit though!

Nowadays I find that I get to be in charge of painting the lowest parts of each room we decorate - I'm the only one who can squat for long periods of time without falling over!
twisti
Posted 2005-03-12 8:51 AM (#18825 - in reply to #18807)

I can put my legs behind my head.... its a great party trick

Other then that Yoga helps me reach places a normal short person could not reach (I am only 5'2.5 but feel 6ft at times!)
It helps me ease through a massage cos I can breath through the pain and I am sure child birth is gonna be a breeze for the very same reason!

Oh most importantly my Yoga practice helps me to see through lifes little fogs, helping me clear the mist and step out the otherside a stronger person. A clarity and focus that would not exsit for me without my daily practice

Go Yoga go.....
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-12 9:15 AM (#18826 - in reply to #18825)

Expert Yogi

Well all I can say is that by doing "Awkward Pose" it helps me to go to the bathroom in public places without having to sit on the toilet!! When I am in a Bikram class and we get to this posture that always comes to my mind and it makes me laugh thinking about it, especially when the instructor says "sit down in a little tiny chair, right behind you":~)

Posted 2005-03-12 9:35 AM (#18832 - in reply to #18825)

Twisti Kristi wrote: "I can put my legs behind my head.... its a great party trick "

This yogi-in training then respectfully requests to be notified prior to the next party. Seriously though, the other night a teacher egged us on to get the ole legs behind the head. I may nver know if I can do that cause I don't want to ever see myself doing that. I glanced in the mirror while setting up to do so and thought: "I really don't have a lot of ego BUT, I must maintain some self-esteem and there's some things I don't want to EVER see a man do--legs behind the head is one."
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-12 9:44 AM (#18838 - in reply to #18832)

Expert Yogi

Brother Bruce, you just have to pretend that nobody is looking, and especially
that no one nearby has a camera!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-12 9:54 AM (#18839 - in reply to #18832)

Expert Yogi

When we were laying the laminte floor in my now studio (formerly kid's party room - DH was thrilled to tear out what he termed the"barf carpet" ) I foundmy practice of virasana camein handy. While the master builder hmself had to wear knee pads (and still complained about his sore knees) becausehe couldn't flatten the top of his foot onto the floor, I was able to spread the weight more evenly on shins and feet and had no problems at all.

Also, when we took a kayak course on overturning the boat and getting back into it, the other couple on the course was very impressed by my ability to twist and turn and get back into the boat. DH and iboth looked at them and said in unison "Yoga!"

Our ballroom dance teacher often compliments us on our posture but last week we were doing jive and he said "you two actually stand up too straight - there is a slight forwad tilt in jive." It is a sort of ardha ardha ardha tadasana
twisti
Posted 2005-03-12 11:20 AM (#18847 - in reply to #18832)

Bruce - 2005-03-12 9:35 AM

Twisti Kristi wrote: "I can put my legs behind my head.... its a great party trick "

This yogi-in training then respectfully requests to be notified prior to the next party. Seriously though, the other night a teacher egged us on to get the ole legs behind the head. I may nver know if I can do that cause I don't want to ever see myself doing that. I glanced in the mirror while setting up to do so and thought: "I really don't have a lot of ego BUT, I must maintain some self-esteem and there's some things I don't want to EVER see a man do--legs behind the head is one."

hehe

Yeah it does look kinda strange but it gets a reaction.... it kinda has a freak show value that people have heard about but never seen.

And yes I do make sure that there are no cameras around prior to assuming position, v. good point Bay Guy!

Edited by twisti 2005-03-12 11:21 AM
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-12 11:31 AM (#18849 - in reply to #18807)

Cyndi, I totally agree with peeing in public places!!! Uktasasana and the virabhdrasanas are paying off in a big way.

am
notsoflexible
Posted 2005-03-12 2:44 PM (#18870 - in reply to #18807)

Tourist-
You sound like you have a wonderful marriage. Yoga, kayaking*,ballroom dancing....lucky you!
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-12 10:50 PM (#18905 - in reply to #18825)

twisti - 2005-03-13 10:51 PM

I can put my legs behind my head.... its a great party trick

Other then that Yoga helps me reach places a normal short person could not reach (I am only 5'2.5 but feel 6ft at times!)
P

yes! i get the legs behind the ears request often>>>but i did it once to win a bet.....bad yogi bad!

hey twisti ! i love that you are 5'2.5 because i am 5'2.75
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-12 10:52 PM (#18906 - in reply to #18839)

tourist - 2005-03-13 11:54 PM

Also, when we took a kayak course on overturning the boat and getting back into it, the other couple on the course was very impressed by my ability to twist and turn and get back into the boat. DH and iboth looked at them and said in unison "Yoga!"

glenda! you are making me home sick! i miss kayaking soooo much.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-13 5:53 AM (#18924 - in reply to #18807)

Glenda and Kira:
As a former avid yachtsman I won't get involved with your lower-caste pastime of paddling but I have a question for you: When turning over (real sailors call it capsizing BTW) with a kayak aren't you supposed to stay put in your seat and just make use of the paddle to come up again?

Nag nag nag nag nag nag nag .......
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-13 6:33 AM (#18925 - in reply to #18807)

afroyogi if you were from the west coast of canada you would understand. i spent my honeymoon in the queen charlotte islands kayaking with my husband, dolphins, walruses, whales...you get the picture....
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-13 9:29 AM (#18939 - in reply to #18807)

But still, why paddling when you can have the wind do the work for you?
And what about my question, why do you leave the kayak when overturning? Isn't it complicated? I mean you then have to remove that little blanket round your waste first in order to get out, the boat's getting full of water and all that? When I was living at a little canal I sometimes watched the kayakians practice and they stayed put in the hole all the time.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-13 10:58 AM (#18940 - in reply to #18939)

Expert Yogi

Stefan - my dear husband was a very serious (and good - we have boxes full of trophies somewhere) yachtsman for years - we cruised and raced (he raced a lot more that I did because he is the competitive sort). The fact is those boats are too expensive and take too much upkeep. With kayaks he can afford to several boats insteasd of just one, he can go out in the boat that is best suited to the conditions for the day and move around from place to place by car and take the boat with him rather than having to sail or motor somewhere for days or hours to get to where he wants to start. Kayaks are a much less demanding and expensive "mistress" for him

As far as capsizing, the roll over is a pretty advanced technique. You have to learn the basic fall-out-and-get-back-in maneuver first. And actually, he now most often races in a sit-on-top boat called a surf ski, which they use a lot in your neck of the woods. We have a friend who is fascinated with the idea of using a small sail on his kayak. Basically he hasn't converted yet from sailor to "yakker" as they call themselves

It is quite a different sensation to be sitting right on the water instead of up away from it in a sailboat. It feels so much more a part of the natural environment and it can be so quiet that the animals sort of think you are part of the scenery and forget you are there. I had a seal play hide and seek with me once - he followed behind and would surface and make a loud breath then duck under the water when I turned around to see what the noise was. I only discovered what was making the sound because another boater told me so I sat quietly for a minute and "caught" him the next time he surfaced. Fun!

We have a great way of touring out on the west coast (very expensive but I want to do it some day) called "mothership" cruising. They convert big old fishing boats into cruising boats and they carry your kayak to the various anchorages, provide meals and showers and all the amenities so you can get to a lot more places and into remote areas that would take days to paddle to. We have so much wilderness here still there are lots of places with no roads and getting in by boat is the only way to see them. I must have some pretty seriously good karma to be born here
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-13 8:33 PM (#18979 - in reply to #18940)

tourist - 2005-03-13 4:58 PM
As far as capsizing, the roll over is a pretty advanced technique. You have to learn the basic fall-out-and-get-back-in maneuver first.

And I always thought this is a basic maneuvre, like a must for every beginner, in order to survive or sumthin. Stoopid me. When I was a boy I learned sailing on dinghies and we "practiced" capsizing very often. You know, teenagers in puberty wanting to show of. So we did it with burning cigarette in one hand and open beer in the other until we managed to capsize and roll-over completely without even getting wet feet. Aaaah, those where the days .....

And actually, he now most often races in a sit-on-top boat called a surf ski, which they use a lot in your neck of the woods. We have a friend who is fascinated with the idea of using a small sail on his kayak. Basically he hasn't converted yet from sailor to "yakker" as they call themselves

Yah, I know these things, they are more surboards than kayaks and look like fun.

It is quite a different sensation to be sitting right on the water instead of up away from it in a sailboat. It feels so much more a part of the natural environment and it can be so quiet that the animals sort of think you are part of the scenery and forget you are there.

I love that feeling, was a surfer once myself.

We have a great way of touring out on the west coast (very expensive but I want to do it some day) called "mothership" cruising. They convert big old fishing boats into cruising boats and they carry your kayak to the various anchorages, provide meals and showers and all the amenities so you can get to a lot more places and into remote areas that would take days to paddle to. We have so much wilderness here still there are lots of places with no roads and getting in by boat is the only way to see them. I must have some pretty seriously good karma to be born here

Not that Cape Town and the Western Cape Province in South Africa is a bad place when it comes to breathtaking landscapes and adventure sports, I envy you nevertheless. Always wanted to make it to the westcoast but never did ... yet. My only travels to the US have only been to the eastcoast. NYC which was most excellent and a motorcycle trip through Florida for 2 weeks, which was quite boring ... except for Key West. Great little island, you can almost forget that you're still in the states.
twisti
Posted 2005-03-15 8:49 AM (#19131 - in reply to #18905)

easternsun - 2005-03-12 10:50 PM
hey twisti ! i love that you are 5'2.5 because i am 5'2.75

Some people just don't realize how important that extra .5/.75 is!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)