YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

silentzen_101
Posted 2005-03-12 4:25 PM (#18878)
Subject: yoga

can yoga make you a happier person? and does meditation also help in making yourself a happier person. i have been pondering these for sometime. could anyone throw in their opinion?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-12 5:11 PM (#18882 - in reply to #18878)
Subject: RE: yoga

Expert Yogi

YES, YES, YES AND DOUBLE YES!! The answers are all over this forum and in just about every yoga book ever written...read between the lines and you decide why is that so. Then after you have the experience of happiness and joy that comes from a place of within, then you will know. Now, that is not to say that there is never any negative things to deal with..such is life, but you will be happier in making decisions, balanced and more serene whenever you are faced with life's challenges. As my instructor always says whenever we are in a challenging pose, "Find something to like". I apply this little statement to my life when I'm dealing with difficult situations and people - it gets wonderful results. Having a busy life with children, dogs, parrots, fish, gardens, bees and then dealing with the world and everything that goes on in it which is so crazy. It is very nice to have an inner peaceful balance and awareness that yoga gives to us, and it forces us to realize that this is all just an illusion and we have a choice of how much we want to participate. Then to take it deeper than that for the realization of who we are, where we've been and where we are going in a positive manner rather than the negatives way that most of us came from - it helps our karma if you believe in that! It really does whether you don't believe in it either:~) Take care,
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-12 6:48 PM (#18884 - in reply to #18882)

I concur w/ Cyndi - couldn't have said it better myself!

Posted 2005-03-12 8:46 PM (#18892 - in reply to #18878)

Derek,
Since you asked for opinions--I'll say no; neither yoga (and may I assume you mean the practice of asanas) or meditation alone will make you a happier person. It's got to come from within yourself lad. Yoga and meditation may provide a path to that happiness but will not, in themselves, bestow it upon you. Brother Neel, a wise, seasoned yogi on this forum often intones that one must search for the root cause of a problem in order to correct or overcome it. I second the wisened one.

silentzen_101 - 2005-03-12 3:25 PM

can yoga make you a happier person? and does meditation also help in making yourself a happier person. i have been pondering these for sometime. could anyone throw in their opinion?
silentzen_101
Posted 2005-03-12 8:55 PM (#18893 - in reply to #18892)

thank you for the responses
tourist
Posted 2005-03-12 9:00 PM (#18894 - in reply to #18892)

Expert Yogi

It would be good to have Christine pop in here. She is usually adamantly on the side of "yoga is just yoga, the rest is up to you" sort of thing. I don't know if I am a happier person with yoga but the outside indicators are that I am. My husband is known to comment on how my various physical ailments bother HIM much less than they used to , people who haven't seen me in a few years remark on how amazing I look (even the ones who didn't see me during my "fat" phase and even on days when I don't feel particulalry amazing) and from time to time when I am walking down the street people smile back at me when I hadn't realized I was smiling in the first place. so gleen from that what you will.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-12 9:10 PM (#18897 - in reply to #18892)

Expert Yogi

Bruce said, "One must search for the root cause of a problem in order to correct or overcome it".

Cyndi responds: Yoga can help one acheive this. Also, when one is not actually trying to become a Yogi and is doing his/her duties as a householder, career person, or you basic average person just living in this world...Yoga is very beneficial for managing your life, stress, and also helps you make better decisions - because Yoga means Union with God. When you are connected with God, you are a happy and joyful person, naturally. I know this to be true because I have done all of the above. Therefore, doing any kind of yoga does everything and more that I described in my first post. Yoga is not just about doing asanas, there are many factors and not just Indians did Yoga...Tibetans have Yoga, and so do the Chinese, the Japenese. So there you go!

Doing the asana's which is what we mostly talk about on this *yoga* forum can help with all sorts of things, health, enlightenment and yes, Yogihood - which Neelbhai can comment better than I on that. However, I am sure there are going to be debates about my comments as it always seems to strike a debate..but I am stating in general and looking at all the aspects from other cultures here and the original question about yoga was very general and vast.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-12 9:25 PM (#18901 - in reply to #18894)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-03-12 9:00 PM

It would be good to have Christine pop in here. She is usually adamantly on the side of "yoga is just yoga, the rest is up to you" sort of thing.

Yes, where is Christine lately? I miss her input on all of these things & hope that things
are improving on her end.

tourist
Posted 2005-03-12 9:31 PM (#18903 - in reply to #18901)

Expert Yogi

Yes, I do get concerned but every time she has dissappeared so far she has eventually resurfaced somewhere! If we send out a concentrated vibe maybe she'll get the message. And yes, I hope things are improving for her, too. I wish there were some nice smushy, cutesy, girly teddy bear or heart emoticons here to send her...
MrD
Posted 2005-03-12 10:53 PM (#18907 - in reply to #18878)

Larry Schultz, owner of It's Yoga in San Francisco had this simple story. " My significant other always tells me that after 3 days of yoga I need to get back to it. I get too temprimental without it."

Is yoga and meditation going to make you happy? Certainly not. Can it give you some tools that will aid your journey to health if needed. Sure.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-13 12:15 AM (#18912 - in reply to #18878)

slientzen:

There are two types of happinesses:

a) when you get what you wanted this is sometimes called Happiness in English Language, and it is called sukham in Sanskrit.

b) the other one is called Bliss in the English Language and ananda in Sanskrit.

By meditation you achieve the second one. The first one also may be achieved to some extent, but then it is never permanent. Bliss is permannent once achieved because, it is the Real Nature of a Personality. Where as sukham is not real nature it depends on many things and their interaction.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-13 11:22 AM (#18942 - in reply to #18912)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Neelbhai,

Now, lets talk about Samadhi and how this relates to Yoga and happiness.

I understand that Sama means equanimity and dhi means the Buddhi. Reaching this equanamous state of intellect, is Samadhi. Wouldn't this state bring happiness and doesn't Yoga lead us to this state of being?? Therefore causing one to be able to function with full awareness as we travel in the world but not being of the world. Isn't this how Yogis have the ability to live over 400 years old?? Of course, this is not proven, but it is definitely possible according to some. To me that's encouragement enough to do the practice, whether it be in the form of meditation, asanas, japa and so on.
CGG
Posted 2005-03-13 12:50 PM (#18946 - in reply to #18878)

First off, hello all. This is my first post on the board though I've been lurking for a few days.

silentzen_101 - 2005-03-12 4:25 PM

Yoga seems to make me happy. I remember the high I felt after my first class. It was pure joy. I was sore for three days after, but that joy remained and I couldn't wait for next week's class. Six months later my time on the mat is one of the most joy filled parts of my day. Obviouslt yoga isn't the only thing that makes me happy, but it's a big factor.

In a larger sense I think my practice helps me tap into the joy that exists in my heart. Yoga doesn't create happiness, but it helps me to find and experience it.

LoraB
Posted 2005-03-13 2:24 PM (#18956 - in reply to #18878)

CCG, I think you're dead-on with your last statement.

To add to that, I think we find what we're looking for when we start a practice, as well as surprises now and again. It goes back to the self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not a cure-all and certainly not a universal experience, as is obvious from these boards. But I think it's a great place to learn about personal reactions to events (ie do you tense up? back out of the pose as soon as it becomes a bit too much? push and push and push?), which then leads to the application of these ideas off the mat...If you're acting and reacting to life in a way that is more aware and compassionate to yourself I think that "happiness" will follow....
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-13 5:39 PM (#18964 - in reply to #18878)

Now Cyndiben, you owe me more than one chai and more than one dinner!!!

Thanks Neelbhai,
Now, lets talk about Samadhi and how this relates to Yoga and happiness.
===OK Boss.

I understand that Sama means equanimity and dhi means the Buddhi. Reaching this equanamous state of intellect, is Samadhi.
===> Sama means equal, but that equality is due to the balance of sattva, rajas and tamas, the three gunas, which cause any fluctions or acitivity within the Chittam which is perceptionn faculty of mind. Now, when there is no acitvity, that is called eqanimous state. dhi means intellect, but that is a wrong translation. dhi means the buddhi which is the intellectual facutly called as prajna, a part of mind again. now when the person is in samadhi stte, there is no action on the part of chittam, mind, and prajna needed. And, this is called asamprajnata samadhi, that is where prajna is not playing role.

On the way a lower levels of samadhi occur. If you want more explanation of these, obbtain my Videos of Patanjali Workshops.

Wouldn't this state bring happiness and doesn't Yoga lead us to this state of being??
===> Happiness is called sukham, and it is when the activity does exist in the mind and when the result of that activity matches the expected result. In the final samadhi state, nothing happens the self resides, no happiness is felt. On the way, during lower levels of samadhi take place. One of them is called saananda samaadhi. which is the one with the bliss. However, bliss is NOT same as the happiness. Bliss is a blissful state of the existence of the soul. It is kind of nonwanting state, it ois kind of happiness due to NOTHING. Whereas happiness is always due to something.

Therefore causing one to be able to function with full awareness as we travel in the world but not being of the world.
===> Living in the world without being of the world is possible, only when one has already attained asamprajnata samadhi and is now living in the world just to exhaust the past karma. Also,it is possible for incanations who have no past karma, but they have taken birth to help others.

Isn't this how Yogis have the ability to live over 400 years old??
===> Yogis live 400 yrs not due to samadhi, but because of siddhi which is a power obtained with tapas, onne part of Yoga Practice. This is equivalent to happiness, not bliss or samadhi. The one who lives 400 yrs may not be happy, neither may be blissful, may not have reached samadhi.

Of course, this is not proven, but it is definitely possible according to some.
===> It has been proven. Akkalkota Maharaja of Karnataka, India lived 300 + years. Iyengar's teacher' teacher lived for 300 years. Iyengar's own teacher clearly lived 110 years. My mother in law lived 103 years. ETC. All these were Yoga practitioners.

To me that's encouragement enough to do the practice, whether it be in the form of meditation, asanas, japa and so on.
===> I always wish you all the best in what you think is best for you.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2005-03-13 6:15 PM (#18967 - in reply to #18964)

Whew...glad my mother-in-law doesn't practice yoga--seems like she's already been around 103 years. However, need to throw the B.S. flag here regarding anybody living 300 years. AND, Cyndi, this is not up for discussion 'cause I won't discuss it--ain't nobody living 300 years--except Cher maybe.

" Of course, this is not proven, but it is definitely possible according to some.
===> It has been proven. Akkalkota Maharaja of Karnataka, India lived 300 + years. Iyengar's teacher' teacher lived for 300 years. Iyengar's own teacher clearly lived 110 years. My mother in law lived 103 years. ETC. All these were Yoga practitioners."
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-13 7:53 PM (#18978 - in reply to #18967)

Bruce quips: "....'cause I won't discuss it--ain't nobody living 300 years--except Cher maybe."

dee says:
yes indeed! Cher-ji has discovered if you continue a "farewell tour" endlessly you will actually live forever. apparently, botox- facelifts-lip-synching and "bad electronic house music tapas"
(AKA Disco Inferno) will produce this amazing siddhi.

that's hot.
----paris hilton

Edited by miss dee 2005-03-13 7:58 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-13 8:46 PM (#18980 - in reply to #18967)

Expert Yogi

Bruce wrote:

However, need to throw the B.S. flag here regarding anybody living 300 years. AND, Cyndi, this is not up for discussion 'cause I won't discuss it--ain't nobody living 300 years--except Cher maybe.

and Cyndi says:

Now Bruce, you need to go have another beer. Besides, we already discussed it and that's that:~)

Cheers!

Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-13 8:58 PM (#18981 - in reply to #18964)

Expert Yogi

Neelbhai,

You are absolutely right about the dinner and chai...when are you gonna start collecting??

Thank you so much for your commenatary, it is always perfect as usual...Besides, I knew I could lure you out of your lurking state of being, LOL!! I didn't mean to make you work so hard:~)

Seriously, I have been studying the Hindu philosophy of Samadhi. I find it very interesting and I need to learn more about this. Thanks again.

Cyndiben
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-13 9:19 PM (#18982 - in reply to #18980)

Expert Yogi

Sorry, I also have a problem with claims that someone lived 300 or 400 years.
I've heard some fairly tenuous "documented" cases of people passing 130 years,
and nowadays passing 100 is common (for ~1% of those born, isn't it?).
For most folks, getting to 90 is about the best you can do. My aim is to match
my grandparents and reach the late 80's.

Do you ever fear death? I never gave it a second thought before I reached 40.
Now I feel my own mortality. My teacher said something that really stuck with
me: "All of yoga is a preparation for dying." Non-attachment is essential for
approaching one's own death peacefully, isn't it?

Which in turn reminds me of Dylan Thomas's line

"Old age should burn and rage at the close of day"

Thomas was writing about his father's death, and the attachment is painful
in that poem...

"And you my father, there on the sad height
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray
Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Thushara
Posted 2005-03-14 2:58 AM (#19007 - in reply to #18982)

BG don’t think too hard about it

I thought of death when I was a child, a teen. And when I’m in twenties too.. I don’t think its such a scary thing to think about your own death.. But about your loved ones' death.. ohhh I cant even think of it

My grand pa died while he was sleeping..(He was 106 years) I also like to die like that., Death should be peaceful, not scary and painful.. so can look forward to it someday... If we are born we have to die., that’s it. Its a transit only. We cant say we will die in this age and that age.. It can be tomorrow, day after or in another 70 years who knows...??? life is uncertain. thats why lot of people are in to insurence buiness now

Its not the duration you live which matters .,

It’s all about what you do for others and how you live your life....

Edited by Thushara 2005-03-14 3:07 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 8:14 AM (#19018 - in reply to #18982)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy wrote:

Do you ever fear death? I never gave it a second thought before I reached 40.
Now I feel my own mortality. My teacher said something that really stuck with
me: "All of yoga is a preparation for dying." Non-attachment is essential for
approaching one's own death peacefully, isn't it?

I totally agree, this is what Tibetan Buddhism also teaches - the attachment part and preparing for our next life is in this present life. I think the part about living to ripe old ages of 300 is just part of the benefits of doing Yoga, its just extra - a bennie that you get from the practice. As for that happening in today's world and this exact time now...of course it is harder to maintain LIFE and ripe old ages...the earth cannot sustain a long life like that right now because there is too many things affecting our health these days, even the Earth can't keep up with this. I guarantee you that if there are people right now living that long, their lifestyles would be shocking to the average person like you and me. Although, I don't think there are any primitive places left on earth to find such a person. But to say impossible, is not true...It is possible with the right conditions. Besides, people at those ages that don't want to be seen or heard from so we would never know anyway. Their cultures hide them away and keep it a secret.

frog71_uk
Posted 2005-03-14 9:57 AM (#19022 - in reply to #18967)

Bruce - 2005-03-13 6:15 PM

Whew...glad my mother-in-law doesn't practice yoga--seems like she's already been around 103 years. However, need to throw the B.S. flag here regarding anybody living 300 years. AND, Cyndi, this is not up for discussion 'cause I won't discuss it--ain't nobody living 300 years--except Cher maybe.

Well Bruce, how do you know for sure, maybe Galapagos turtles do yoga too !? I know Turtles do Kung Fu, I saw it on tv. So what's to stop them doing Yoga too? Open your mind will you ?! lol

Edited by frog71_uk 2005-03-14 10:01 AM
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-14 10:09 AM (#19025 - in reply to #18878)

Cyndi,

I have to disagree with the idea that there aren't primitive places left on this earth to find primitive peoples. What about the tribes (and for the life of me I can't come up with their names right now, sorry) that not only survived the tsunami despite their proximity but lost few if any members? I remember reading that they survived by an ancient meterorological method of smelling the wind. In today's world this could hardly be considered anything less than primitive. They also wear little to no clothing and throw handmade spears at helicopters.....So they clearly exist. (Sad to say, the article also mentioned that some member ARE beginning to wear clothes and leave the tribes for the big cities).
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 11:33 AM (#19034 - in reply to #19025)

Expert Yogi

Hi Lora,

I'm sure you are right about the primitive peoples and places...however, they are very few and so far between. My husband from Nepal tells me stories about the *real* Nepalis natives. They are exactly what you described. There are also some of these people left in Peru, South America, can't remember what they are called either. I too find it interesting about the Tsunami's. The animals had a way of knowing when to leave for higher ground as there weren't that many killed at least according to the reports...they seemed to have known. I think more fish died than land animals. So, just a reminder that we humans depend too much on technology and all we need to do is use our intuitive intellect...its definitely a lost art. Soo, when I say no primitive places left, its because I think these people and places are known, but left alone for whatever reasons. But, if they ever encroached on civilization, or if civilization wanted them gone, they would be. I think it would be too cool to live in a world like that again, and have our technology at the same time...but resect for both..oh, crap, did I just describe the perfect world.

Cyndi - who's dreaming of running naked to the river and being surrounded by waterfalls and cute little animals that don't bite...and lots of trees with ripe Mango's hanging from every limb:~)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)