YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oh, HECK no!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-14 1:26 PM (#19048)
Subject: Oh, HECK no!

Who thinks it's the height of bad yoga etiquette to be TALKING ON THE PHONE DURING CLASS???

This happened today and I couldn't believe it! i would have said something if she'd been close to me, but I didn't want to yell across the room... ok, I did want to, but I didn't do it!

Ay chihuahua
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 1:46 PM (#19050 - in reply to #19048)
Subject: RE: Oh, HECK no!

Expert Yogi

I would have mumbled something very loudly in a heartbeat about the cell phone!! Another irritating thing I don't like now is when someone is trying to do the Standing Bow for the very first time and they stand there and wobble, fall over etc...I just want to say..hold your friggin knee and just stand there - don't move!! It always makes me break my concentration. But I can't say anything about that one because I did it too, LOL!! However, in the beginning for me, our instructor gave the instructions to maintain your balance, hold your leg in place before charging your body forward, and that was the most important part of the posture...I learned it quickly. Sometimes those little things get said and sometimes they don't. I think the instructor has a responsibilty to help keep everyone mindful in the room - especially the cell phones!! Okay, now don't come back and tell us that the instructor was the one on the cell phone
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-14 2:31 PM (#19051 - in reply to #19048)

I have been in class twice when a cell phone rang...but never someone answering it. I would have been PISSED.

There is a girl, who before class when we are standing waiting to go into the studio who LOUDLY chats on her cell, which is really annoying. Though the rest of us standing around kinda bond over it as we look at each other and grin and roll our eyes.

LoraB
Posted 2005-03-14 2:44 PM (#19052 - in reply to #19048)

Wow! That is definitely in the running for the worst use of a cell phone award. That, and the public restroom user - when it comes to bodily functions I am absolutely in support of the uptight American need for privacy!

I've never seen anyone in a yoga class on the phone though - depending on the asan that could be quite dangerous. I'm chuckling, now, though, picture someone in headstand talking on their hands-free unit.

The closest I've ever come to seeing anything like that was the ob/gyne who had to have her pager with her - but she informed the instructor prior to class, kept it on vibrate, and oh-so-quietly rolled up her mat and ducked out when it went off.

Did your instructor react in any way to the dumb-asana?
CGG
Posted 2005-03-14 4:03 PM (#19054 - in reply to #19048)

Gruvemom - 2005-03-14 1:26 PM
Who thinks it's the height of bad yoga etiquette to be TALKING ON THE PHONE DURING CLASS???

That's so annoying! What did the teacher do? I hate it when phones go off during class, and they always seem to go off during Savasana. One time a woman went out in the hall, and chatted LOUDLY through the entire relaxation period. She then had the NERVE to come back in and stomp back to her mat while we were finishing up. GRRRRRRRRR!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-14 5:00 PM (#19058 - in reply to #19048)

Right, CCG, the stomping can be terrible too. I don't know, some people just seem not be able to walk quietly, they really stomp like elephants, hacking their heels into the floor.
BTW, I was once in the awkward situation that I forgot to turn my cell off before class - and of course it started ringing. I didn't answer it though. And since that day I never take it to class anymore. In fact I don't take it with me nowhere.
Recent scientific reports say that people can manage to survive over extended time periods without the use of cell phones. Astonishing isn't it?
MrD
Posted 2005-03-14 6:18 PM (#19063 - in reply to #19048)

Well I've got a worse one.

Just the other week a cell phone went off in class. Only this time it was the INSTRUCTOR"S. She just let it ring. It was funny in a way because she's one of those instructors that is really into atmosphere and getting the right tone for the class. She definitely lost the mood she was trying to cultivate that night. Hasn't done it since however.

Cyndi, I'm like you. I can get into standing bow pose easily and hold it the entire time. But I don't feel that people falling out of poses -- especially balancing poses -- is something to be unexpected. Heck I've seen very experienced teachers fall out of balancing poses. It just depends on the concentration, and somedays the body just doesn't respond well. Bikram teachers avoid the issue because they don't demonstrate poses.

Doesn't everybody fall in yoga.

Edited by MrD 2005-03-14 6:20 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 6:55 PM (#19065 - in reply to #19063)

Expert Yogi

Mr. D.

Please don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to imply that everyone should do it perfectly or that falling over doesn't happen. Believe me, you have no idea... I always fall everytime....I am not even close to 75% doing some of the asana's I practice and maybe 25% at a couple of the challenging ones or Yoga at all for that matter - I wish I were there yet:~) I really meant that when your in a room and everybody's falling in Standing Bow because they are new and these people clearly need to stand there holding their ankle, not their knee and just balance their leg. It is only aggravating to me because I do this at home and don't get out much. Soo, I've been thinking that these irritating things are also good practice too, because it helps build up a resistance to things that aggravate us I could see how I could be a stronger person if I didn't let things like this affect me - which mostly is getting better for me in some ways...although, I would think that would help us learn how to be more tolerant. Easier said than done and practice practice....maybe that's why we have to deal with it:~) Sorry, that is how we are suppose to learn loving kindness and compassion - I had to say it. Oh well.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-14 6:57 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-03-14 7:06 PM (#19066 - in reply to #19063)

Expert Yogi

I have mostly seen people be VERY apologetic and embarassed when their phone rings in class. Heck, I get embarassed when I discover mine has been left on and DIDN'T ring during class. I do have one friend who must keep hers on from time to time and she always keeps it on vibrate and lets us know ahead of time but it never has rung yet
MrD
Posted 2005-03-14 7:35 PM (#19069 - in reply to #19065)

Cyndi - 2005-03-14 6:55 PM

Mr. D.

Please don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to imply that everyone should do it perfectly or that falling over doesn't happen. Believe me, you have no idea... I always fall everytime....I am not even close to 75% doing some of the asana's I practice and maybe 25% at a couple of the challenging ones or Yoga at all for that matter - I wish I were there yet:~) I really meant that when your in a room and everybody's falling in Standing Bow because they are new and these people clearly need to stand there holding their ankle, not their knee and just balance their leg. It is only aggravating to me because I do this at home and don't get out much. Soo, I've been thinking that these irritating things are also good practice too, because it helps build up a resistance to things that aggravate us I could see how I could be a stronger person if I didn't let things like this affect me - which mostly is getting better for me in some ways...although, I would think that would help us learn how to be more tolerant. Easier said than done and practice practice....maybe that's why we have to deal with it:~) Sorry, that is how we are suppose to learn loving kindness and compassion - I had to say it. Oh well.

Thanks for the clarification. I just bought Bikram's book, and I have to laugh after reading his book yesterday, and your current explaination. Bikram continually says "Now if you would just liisten to me I'll tell you how to do it right." Yep there's a reason the script is the same. It's precisely because they don't get it right the first time. I of course always get it right the first time.

Edited by MrD 2005-03-14 7:36 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-14 7:58 PM (#19070 - in reply to #19069)

Expert Yogi

Help me out here Mr. D. I didn't understand your last statement about getting it right and Bikram's book. Will you clarify what you meant by "I of course get it right the first time?" They never getting it right the first time I think I understand..I fall into the category of they:~)

Anyway, this may not have much to do with anything...but, I really learned alot from Bikram's book and his instructional tape. Really I did. I personally don't have a problem with Bikram and his instructions. My problem with the instructional tape is that he holds the postures longer than I would like to do and doesn't give enough time in between to get aligned for the next one. I also like to spend longer each time in Savasana while doing floor postures - he goes so fast. And him singing at the end is so adorable and actually kinda nice...although I prefer my Kitaro or R. Carlos Nakai Music better:~) I've thought about dubbing the tape and customizing it to fit my idea of a good Bikram class should be - and using his voice and instructions. Bikram is funny, witty and humorous....but definitely motivating, which is what I like most. I also like his philosophy about most things, he's pretty sharp and to the point. I can see how some would be totally turned off by him, but that's okay.
CGG
Posted 2005-03-14 8:15 PM (#19073 - in reply to #19058)

afroyogi - 2005-03-14 5:00 PM
Recent scientific reports say that people can manage to survive over extended time periods without the use of cell phones. Astonishing isn't it?

My phone is always set to vibrate. It goes wherever I go, but I hate hearing it ring even when I'm not in class. For some reason the ringing annoys me far more than any chatter that may follow.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-14 8:30 PM (#19077 - in reply to #19050)

Okay, now don't come back and tell us that the instructor was the one on the cell phone<<

LOL - how far has humanity fallen that we could even conceive of that? No, it wasn't her... had it been (and not an emergency) I know her well enough that I would have been comfortable to say something to her!
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-14 8:33 PM (#19078 - in reply to #19052)

Did your instructor react in any way to the dumb-asana?<<

NOTHING! I'm going to email her later and ask for a moratorium on the phone/ beeper thing... it's gotten too pervasive in this particular class... maybe she didn't notice what was going on... she (the instructor) had acold... maybe her ears were blocked...

Btw, we were doing catstretches...
caseylane
Posted 2005-03-14 9:27 PM (#19082 - in reply to #19048)

There is a sign on the door of our yoga studio that says to turn off your phone, then on the door to the studio proper there's another sign reminding people to take off their shoes and turn off their phones before entering. Still there will be at least one occurrence of ringing during the 8 class cycle you sign up for, usually followed by a mad grab at someone’s purse and then the beep of being shut off.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-14 11:58 PM (#19107 - in reply to #19073)

Expert Yogi

Roxanne - is your phone your work? My DH is a computer guy and his phone is his "leash" to work. Yes, it helps pay the bills but he hates to hear it ring. He even hates to hear our home phone ring and g*d help you if you call after 9 pm!
CGG
Posted 2005-03-15 12:12 AM (#19111 - in reply to #19107)

tourist - 2005-03-14 11:58 PM

Roxanne - is your phone your work? My DH is a computer guy and his phone is his "leash" to work. Yes, it helps pay the bills but he hates to hear it ring. He even hates to hear our home phone ring and g*d help you if you call after 9 pm!

It's my work, as well as my main phone line. I don't even bother giving out my home number because I am never home, and never answer that line when I am. Having a cell phone always by my side doesn't bother me, but I find ringtones to be annoying.
MrD
Posted 2005-03-15 1:56 AM (#19114 - in reply to #19070)

Cyndi - 2005-03-14 7:58 PM

Help me out here Mr. D. I didn't understand your last statement about getting it right and Bikram's book. Will you clarify what you meant by "I of course get it right the first time?" They never getting it right the first time I think I understand..I fall into the category of they:~)

Well Bikram said this in his book at least 15 times so far. Cheesh. Sure we'd all like to get an asana right the first time, but we either don't understand the instructions, or the body is not ready to do it yet. As one of his students said, "Sometimes after the hundredth time it makes sense." I also definitely fall into the "they" category on Hand to Knee pose, and Eagle, and balancing toe pose, however fixed firm and pyramid are progressing.
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-15 2:55 AM (#19120 - in reply to #19058)

afroyogi - 2005-03-15 7:00 AM

Right, CCG, the stomping can be terrible too. I don't know, some people just seem not be able to walk quietly, they really stomp like elephants, hacking their heels into the floor.
BTW, I was once in the awkward situation that I forgot to turn my cell off before class - and of course it started ringing. I didn't answer it though. And since that day I never take it to class anymore. In fact I don't take it with me nowhere.

on april 1st i will celebrating one year mobile phone free - it is a huge deal as i own two! in japan, everyone has a cell phone - EVEN CHILDREN

i wont wax poetic on the japanese and their phones but it is RIDICULOUS. cant talk face to face but have no problems saying things via text message!

at first it was very difficult, but now i love the fact that my phone doesnt rule my world. the only thing i wish i had it for now - the gps...when you cant find an address, it is a godsend.

in the studio - cell phones like egos, need to be checked at the door IMVHO
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-15 5:49 PM (#19157 - in reply to #19120)

Update: I spoke to my teacher last night and asked if she noticed the talker - she had. She said that she gave the woman "a look" but doubted that she had noticed. I think she intends to say something next class.
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-15 9:46 PM (#19176 - in reply to #19048)

about 3 months ago a new lady came to class. it was about her 3-4 time.
(i am a bikram yoga teacher)

bikram class- standing bow:
the phone in her purse rings...and rings...rings
stops ringing and starts again.

dee days sternly "who's phone is that?"
the lady looks irritated, comes out of bow and ANSWERS THE PHONE!
she says, "I'm at yoga, I'll call you later" ...listens to the caller ..." no I'll call later... I have to GO" she hung up.

dee says very sternly:
"it's NEVER appropriate to answer a phone in yoga. please, next time just turn it off" she looked embarrassed.

frankly, I sound a little harsh. well, harsh according to what you guys are saying here, and how you and your teachers reacted.

I have ZERO tolerance for really loud call phone talkers. especially in a yoga studio. it is the height of rudeness, and it's the teacher's responsibility to be the 'party pooper' and maintain the space for yoga. (yes, I have been known to tap a loud rude phone talker on the shoulder at starbucks and tell them how loud and they are being and that they are disturbing others. I get different reactions but they all usually seem a little sheepish.- THEY know how rude it is too- just unaware that it's THEM who's being obnoxious.)

shhhh! or just step outside!
dee
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-15 10:18 PM (#19178 - in reply to #19048)

Cell Phones annoy me to no end. It's almost like, these days, there is no such thing as ettiquate anymore It really is sad.

On another note, I know it's good luck to bump someone during class, but this guy who always is beside me bumps me non stop. Hmmmmm. It takes away from my focus a lot.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-15 10:35 PM (#19181 - in reply to #19178)

this guy who always is beside me bumps me non stop.<<

Tell him to either ask you out already, or to stop bumping you!
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-16 12:34 PM (#19247 - in reply to #19181)

Gruvemom - 2005-03-15 8:35 PM

this guy who always is beside me bumps me non stop.<<

Tell him to either ask you out already, or to stop bumping you!

The thing is, Im there with my wedding ring, and he's seen me with my baby after class when my HUSBAND picked us up. Really, how much more can I hint? Oh well. He seems to be a gym-guru-look-at-me-I-have-muscels type of guy. I dont know, but that is my impression. I wish him luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)