YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Learning different yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-16 12:36 AM (#19189)
Subject: Learning different yoga

How does one go about learning/researching all the different types of yoga? It all seems overwhelming, there is so much to it on so many different levels. Do you just learn through experience? Or do you take an active role in researching it all. How do you know that the yoga you do is right for you? Have you tried many/all types?
A lot of question, I know. Just thought I would ask, because I just want to be sure Im going about this the right way (or is there a way?)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twisti
Posted 2005-03-16 8:36 AM (#19206 - in reply to #19189)
Subject: RE: Learning different yoga

Personally I am a reader... I like to read alot about the different styles.

I look at the philosophies, how/if they differ much from other styles.I look at the way the asanas are structured and how they might do the asanas differently etc If I like the impression I get from the book I will then seek out a class.

Sometimes on my journey I have come across certain teachers/styles by mistake, that is always great because I know it will be what I need for that time.

Yoga is a life long journey so just be patient, opportunities will come to experience different styles when you are ready
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-16 8:42 AM (#19210 - in reply to #19189)

Expert Yogi

Why don't you go to a studio and find out what is good for you. That is what I did and ended up loving Bikram Yoga. That was not my original plan of learning yoga..it just worked out that way. Getting my foot in the door was the biggest step, then the answers just magically appeared:~) I later ended up in a Bikram workshop and then I realized before that workshop I had been in 3 classes previously, that I was actually attending the Bikram class (I was totally overdressed for it - with makeup and all)...but I loved it. So, that is where I ended up..I really liked the routine and I liked the repetition. Now I can do it at home by myself which is even greater. I attend a yoga studio that does a variety of yoga. Is there a right way?? Probably not, if there were I certainly didn't know about it. You will know if it is right for you...Bruce will tell you to run away from the hoky poky ones where they burn insence during Savasana, LOL!! Good luck.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-16 9:02 AM (#19213 - in reply to #19189)

Dear FamousLadyJane:
There is NO way you can learn about all these different forms in terms of you knowing whether you are going right way, by collecting information from others. This involves what you want to get out of Yoga, what class you will go to, background that particular teacher, and many other factors. Also, there is NO need to know all this before you go.

So, the best way and the only way is: Start doing some Yoga somewhere and somehow (NOT anyhow, sommehow means you do some small amount of research, let us say 2 hours at the most, and then after 10 weeks decide more and change if you like, and so on until you find your correct path.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-03-16 10:10 AM (#19229 - in reply to #19189)

Expert Yogi

Laura Jane - you have a lot of highly qualified Iyengar teachers in Edmonton. That would be a good place to start. Email me if you want names or look at: www.iyengaryogacanada.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)