YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Speaking of asanas
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-16 12:43 AM (#19190)
Subject: Speaking of asanas

Looked around a bit, but didnt find a thread about this, my apologies if there already is one.

Just wondering, can anyone recomend a good book of all or many poses? I do the class thing, and am just getting into doing yoga on my own at home. A book would be benificial (not a video) as I forget how to get into them/out of them as soon as I leave that classroom door.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CGG
Posted 2005-03-16 7:26 AM (#19202 - in reply to #19190)
Subject: RE: Speaking of asanas

Great question about books. I'd like some suggestions myself. Right now I use Yoga Journal's directory of online poses. It covers the basics, and has even added streaming video for some of the asanas.

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/index.cfm
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-16 8:40 AM (#19207 - in reply to #19202)

I practice Sivananda yoga mostly. Asana, Pranayama, Mudra & Bandha is the main handbook for this form of yoga and has both poses and dynamic sequences. It also covers breathing, meditation and cleansing practises. The pictures are in the form of outline sketches rather than photos though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/8186336141/026-6875642-5249235

Fee
twisti
Posted 2005-03-16 8:42 AM (#19209 - in reply to #19190)

One of my favorites is "Yoga the Iyengar Way" by Mira, Silva and Shyam Mehta. The descriptions are great and it also gives 'focus in the pose' little suggestions of how to go deeper. It has several structured asana programs in the back catering to the differing levels and abilities.

"Light on Yoga" is the classic. Enough said.

I have also heard "Yoga your Way" by Cindy Dollar is good. Lots of colorful pictures and it is formatted in such a way to make it easy to have 'on hand' during practice.

Just my 2 cents
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-16 9:05 AM (#19214 - in reply to #19190)

Dear FamousLadyJane:

There is NO book which contains all yoga poses, and can never there be one. However, probably, Light On Yoga, by BKS Iyengar is the only book which contains max number of Yoga Poses. But, the book is NOT the way to go about learning for a beginner or average Yoga student. And, MOST of the DVDs are the worst way to learn it.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-03-16 10:05 AM (#19227 - in reply to #19209)

Expert Yogi

I agree with twisti and would add The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health by Patricia Walden and Linda Sparrowe.
KPopejoy
Posted 2005-03-16 10:06 AM (#19228 - in reply to #19190)

FamousLadyJane - 2005-03-15 11:43 PM

Looked around a bit, but didnt find a thread about this, my apologies if there already is one.

Just wondering, can anyone recomend a good book of all or many poses? I do the class thing, and am just getting into doing yoga on my own at home. A book would be benificial (not a video) as I forget how to get into them/out of them as soon as I leave that classroom door.

Thanks!

As a beginning student you're doing the right thing by involving yourself with a teacher. There's no better way to learn than with proper guidance of an informed instructor. Good reading material is a requirement in my opinion. There's no way you can get it all from a class. "Light On Yoga" is the bible. Every personal library should have a copy. I've found Judith Lasater's "30 Essential Yoga Poses" to be an excellent resource for a student attending classes and developing a supplimental home practice. Lasater emphasizes the Student/Teacher relationship and gives guidance on sequences. Although the title says 30, there are more like 100 poses presented when you include the variations. Another posture book with excellent photos and thorough attention to variations and alignment, is "Hatha Yoga Illustrated" by Martin Kirk and Brooke Boon. It includes a section with several Vinyasa sequences of various levels of intensity. Another book I pick up every day is "Meditations from the Mat" by Rolf Gates. Following the general structure of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, it's a collection of 365 reflections or meditations. I read one each morning. It's a good way to get my head straight before morning drive time. It's not an asana book but don't forget, postures are only one dimension of yoga. There's a huge variety of material available...it's half the fun of this practice. But then, I've always been the bookish sort.

Enjoy, Kevin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)