YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Turning Points
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 9:57 AM (#19324)
Subject: Turning Points

Well, last night was a big one....Several weeks ago I dropped my gym membership in an effort to save money since I was really only attending my regualr Wednesday yoga class and it expires at the end of this month. Before I dropped, though, I talked to my teacher, who mentioned that was also thinking about leaving to concentrate more on school and studios closer to her home.

As the weeks have dwindled I've focused on creating a home practice so that I could ask her any questions that came up, and in an effort to *get* headstand...I went to class last night and found out it was her final class - but the good part is that I was the only one there! And the better part? We've been working on headstand since July, away from the wall - her theory being that it takes longer to get away from the wall than it does to just get up into it - and last night, in the final class, I had it. Got up on my own, stayed up on my own for about 5 seconds, and came back down in a relatively graceful manner. It was a perfect ending to a great class. I think she might have been even more excited about it than I was!

So now here I go, off into the murky but exciting land of home practices (supplemented with the free weekend class). Wish me luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-17 11:33 AM (#19334 - in reply to #19324)
Subject: RE: Turning Points

Congrats, Lora!

It's very similar to riding a bicycle: you'll never forget how to do it. Keep up the great work.

Keith

LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 12:27 PM (#19338 - in reply to #19324)

Thanks! The funny thing is that now I want to do it over and over. I wish I could practice it right now at work!

I think I mentioned this on another post, but has anybody else who has struggled with headstand noticed that there seems to be a major off-the-mat connection with this asana? I noticed last fall that the closer I got to headstand, and the more comfortable I felt working farther into it, the more outspoken I was in every situation. Then I started chickening out big-time on some life stuff and it carried over to headstand...As an experiment I forced myself to be bolder in the pose, and therefore have become much more comfortable putting myself out there and making darn sure I'm heard. Anyone else?
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-17 12:43 PM (#19339 - in reply to #19338)

yay for LoraB!!! I had my headstand turning point new year's day when the instructor said "Bakasana into headstand"... I knew I could do bakasana into the 3 point pose w/outgiving myself a concussion, but wasn't sure about really extending my legs - surprised the heck out of myself when I "just did it". I have to work on Sirsasana A (the Ashtanga one) b/c I'm not confident w/ that one.... you can't push against the floor w/ your elbows like you can w/ your hands IYKWIM.

I started chickening out big-time on some life stuff and it carried over to headstand.<<

crap. and suddenly my argument with handstand makes all the more sense! Thanks for pointing that out, Lora!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-17 1:31 PM (#19341 - in reply to #19324)

LoraB:
Best Luck with your practice.
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 2:43 PM (#19349 - in reply to #19324)

Interesting, Meliissa...I've been learning it with the elbows. I'll have to try it with the hands and see what the difference feels like! So generally speaking it's learned up against a wall and with the hands rather than elbows? I guess it's just as well that I've been learning it the hard way as I would have found a wa to make the easy way mroe difficult all on my own.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-17 4:15 PM (#19361 - in reply to #19324)

Congrats Lora! Great feeling isn't it? I learned it with the hands first, coming from the 3-point bakasana like Groovemom. But never at the wall. It's one of my favs, since it doesn't take a big portion of flexibility to get into it. It's a stunning pose nevertheless, looks quite spactacular and turns you into an "expert yogi" at once.
You're right with the chickening. Not only the headstand but yoga practice generally made me much more confident. I wish I would've been the person I am now five years earlier.
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 4:53 PM (#19365 - in reply to #19324)

I am definitely going to try it from bakasana as soon as I get home! I'm dying to try it right now, but docs and patients in the clinic might object - especially if I kicked one in the face on the way down!

Congratulations, Stefan, you are now an Expert Yogi! Next stop, Guru!
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-17 5:32 PM (#19372 - in reply to #19349)

So generally speaking it's learned up against a wall and with the hands rather than elbows?<<

Actually, I was in the middle of the room - I've never done it against the wall. Execute bakasana, keep your knees on your arms while you (slowly) pivot your head onto the floor (expect a crash landing the first few times). Push with your hands like you are pushing into a handstand (push from your shoulders, too). Bring your big toes together and point them at the ceiling and uncurl into headstand.

I've never done handstand on the wall either - I start in "right angle pose" (downward dog away from the wall) then walk your feet up until your upper body is vertical. Lift one leg until you point your toes at the ceiling, then lift the other leg until you are in handstand. I had handstand some months ago then I lost it... dunno, just kept falling out of it (straight down onto my head). I've done it once w/ some pretty heavy duty spotting from the instructor... sigh... gotta think more about your post though... grumble grumble...
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 5:47 PM (#19373 - in reply to #19324)

Thanks for the tutorial! It could have gotten really interesting without it! Hopefully the crash landings will be minimal - I don't get too far up in bakasana, so there's not too far to go!

As for handstand, I've been doing some prep-work there with the wall. I back up to it, move into downward dog with my feet right at the wall, and then walk them up the wall. I still need to build some strenght in my arms and shoulders - plus at home, there's really is nowhere to crash if I come flying down. My studio apartment is big enough for a lot of things - even for two people at one time - but not big enough for a crashing LoraB! It's like being in really crowded class, but your neighbors (coffee table and entertainment center) are breakable and have sharper edges! All thigns in time...
CGG
Posted 2005-03-17 5:51 PM (#19374 - in reply to #19324)

Congratulations on your headstand, and good luck on your home practice. Please keep us updated. One of the great things about this forum is learning the journey of others in their practice.
Jeanna
Posted 2005-03-17 5:55 PM (#19375 - in reply to #19324)

WAS IT HARD? MY FIRST ONE WAS.
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-17 6:39 PM (#19380 - in reply to #19324)

Question about headstands: I used to do them all the time before being pregnant. Id like to do again, but have a bit of exess weight still from the pregnancy. Should I try, or is it dangerous to do it without being fit again?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-17 8:30 PM (#19389 - in reply to #19324)

LadyJane - if you had a strong practice before your pregnancy, it will probably not cause you problems. After all, the baby is rarely "right side up" anyway and might enjoy the change of pace!

But, most teachers don't recommend it. If you are unsure enough to ask, it might not be a good idea for you. Just keep with your current practice and listen to your body - and to your baby! Pregnancy is one of the BEST times for a dialogue with your body, it shouts loud and clear more than any other time in your life! Just listen and see what your body wants to do. Make sure you're listening very hard throughout each pose, because you will know immediately if something is not right for you.
audreyh1
Posted 2005-03-17 8:54 PM (#19391 - in reply to #19324)

Congratulations! I LOVE reading about other people's yoga breakthroughs.

Now if only I could get into bakasana......

Audrey
MrD
Posted 2005-03-17 8:57 PM (#19392 - in reply to #19391)

audreyh1 - 2005-03-17 8:54 PM

Congratulations! I LOVE reading about other people's yoga breakthroughs.

Now if only I could get into bakasana......

Audrey

Well, getting into bakasana isn't the problem. It's staying in bakasana that is.

Edited by MrD 2005-03-17 8:57 PM
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-17 10:10 PM (#19405 - in reply to #19324)

So true! Don't worry too much about it, Audrey - you'll get there. One teacher of mine said it took her 5 YEARS to really get it! Just keep working on it!

BTW, I just tried headstand from bakasana - getting there, but I can't quite get my head in the right place. Just another fun thing to work with!
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-17 10:21 PM (#19410 - in reply to #19389)

jeansyoga - 2005-03-17 6:30 PM

LadyJane - if you had a strong practice before your pregnancy, it will probably not cause you problems. After all, the baby is rarely "right side up" anyway and might enjoy the change of pace!

But, most teachers don't recommend it. If you are unsure enough to ask, it might not be a good idea for you. Just keep with your current practice and listen to your body - and to your baby! Pregnancy is one of the BEST times for a dialogue with your body, it shouts loud and clear more than any other time in your life! Just listen and see what your body wants to do. Make sure you're listening very hard throughout each pose, because you will know immediately if something is not right for you.

Sorry, my post may have been confussing I USED to be pregnant. IM not anymore (baby is 6 mos) but I still have excess weight from the pregnancy to be lost, is what I meant. So, I was wondering if because of the weight, maybe it will be dangerous because my balance is off.

I suppose I could always just try. Then I will know
tourist
Posted 2005-03-18 9:52 AM (#19432 - in reply to #19410)

Expert Yogi

Yep, that excess baby weight can throw everything off. Maybe that's why I have trouble in some poses - only 22 years post partum myself and still a "few" pounds to lose...

Seriously though - at 6 months PP your body is still adjusting to what it has been through in the past year or so. The weight is one small part of that. Don't be in a hurry to get "back to normal" a) because "normal" will never be the same as it once was because you are not the same as you once were (in a good way!) and b) what's the rush? Enjoy your yoga and your new baby time
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-18 10:26 AM (#19439 - in reply to #19405)

I just tried headstand from bakasana - getting there, but I can't quite get my head in the right place. <<

Sometimes I have to come down and go back up a few times in a row until my head placement is ok for my neck. I find that pushing against the floor like I'm trying to push into handstand really helps keep the pressure off of my neck.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-18 10:28 AM (#19440 - in reply to #19410)

(baby is 6 mos) but I still have excess weight from the pregnancy to be lost,<<

Jane, my baby is 6-1/2YEARS and I still have weight to loose!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-18 6:29 PM (#19495 - in reply to #19440)

Expert Yogi

I still got ya beat by a good 16.25 years Melissa!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)