YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the Hindu Holiday Holi
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

MrD
Posted 2005-03-17 8:59 PM (#19393)
Subject: What is the Hindu Holiday Holi

I understand it's coming up soon. It was on a world holidays calendar at work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-17 10:26 PM (#19412 - in reply to #19393)
Subject: RE: What is the Hindu Holiday Holi

Expert Yogi

For this we need Brother Neel. I think it's another Siva celebration,
which involves, eg, putting colors onto other people's faces. I read
a little bit on this after the last Siva holiday, Mahashivaratri day,
but I don't feel qualified to try to explain this one.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-17 11:12 PM (#19416 - in reply to #19412)

Expert Yogi

Its the color festival!!! Its the day you can go out on the streets and paint each other with colors. Satyam husband, says in Nepal most people are afraid to go out because you will get colored or a prank pulled on you. It is also the day when everything is legal and you can do whatever you want, say what you want, etc. In Nepal it is dangerous to go out during Holi and most people don't participate anymore because it gets out of control and not what the original Holi was all about. The information below came from Hindu.net and you may remember this story if you know the Mahabarat. I always think of Krishna during this festival, but there is also a story about Shiva and Paarvati relating to Holi also.

One legend pertains to another Holika, also known as Pootana, who came as a charming woman to kill the infant Sri Krishna by feeding him with her poisoned breast. Sri Krishna, however, sucked by blood and she lay dead in all her hideous form.

Such stories have effectively charged the popular mind with the faith that ultimately the forces of divinity shall triumph over the demonic forces. Symbolically, a bonfire of Kaamadeva or Holika is made in every town or village, attended by unbounded fun and frolic. Games depicting the pranks of infant Krishna are also played by boys singing and dancing around the fire.

As in the case of all our festivals, this too has its plentiful share of spiritual significance. Fire is the symbol of yajna in which all our bodily desires and propensities are offered in the pure and blazing flame of spiritual enlightenment lit within our hearts.

So, Happy Holi Day from indoors.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-18 10:47 AM (#19444 - in reply to #19393)
Subject: RE: What is the Hindu Holiday

There are 3 things about Holi Day, which is a holiday in India!!!

1. In order to instigate the perfectly celibate Lord Shiva so that he can give a child to most divine Parvati, Kaamadeva, the Deity (bhavapratyo videhaprakritilayaanaam ... patanjali. the one who merges into a power in nature, and becomes a demigod, is prakritilaya) of Sex, sends an arrow of sexual urge to Lord Shiva who is in Meditation. Then, Lord Shiva's meditation is broken, and he gives a child to Parvati. However, when his meditation is broken, he learns that it was the mischief of Kaamadevaa. So, he burns him with his power which comes out of the Third Eye. This burns Kaamadeva, and becomes an event of celebration as it became the event for the birth of the most auspicious Lord Ganesha.

2. The devotee Pralhaada of Vishnu is tried by his demon father for giving up devotionn to Lord Vishnu, and he tries to burn the child, but the child remains safe due to the grace of Lord Vishnu.

3. Lord Krishna's story as told by sister Cyndi.

Out of these, the first two give rise to prayers, circumbulation around the fire, and prassad - divine food, etc. And, the thrid one gives rise to celebration in terms of throwing colour at each other with happiness.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-18 12:00 PM (#19451 - in reply to #19444)

Expert Yogi

I'm sorry, it is also a big Holiday in Nepal too!! Did you know that Nepal is the only country that is 100% Hindu?? Anyway, just wanted to clarify that. Things have been really crazy in Nepal over the years and even a simple holiday festival like Holi has gotten out of control due to the violence issues going on there. Hopefully, since the King is back in charge it will be a peaceful event. Here's wishing everyone a splash of color!
MrD
Posted 2005-03-18 4:10 PM (#19486 - in reply to #19393)

Thanks for the info an stories. Fascinating. So what is in the colors that people throw at each other?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-18 10:18 PM (#19522 - in reply to #19393)

The colours signify joy and variety. When something is joyful, we say it is colourful. When one gets a great success, one is said to have come out in many colours. When one talks about a flat of country, one mentions what colours are there, and how many stars are there. When one does wedding in many a cultures they throw rice with many a colours on the couple. When there is a birthday party, we keep baloons of many a colours.

ETC ETC
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2005-03-18 10:28 PM (#19523 - in reply to #19451)

Wonderful stories and explanations of Holi in India and Nepal. How long has the King been back in power, Cyndi? Who was in power before? Sorry, not up to speed in Nepal's history. Sounds fastinating. So sad that violence prevents traditional practices of a unique holiday! Hope to hear more.

Namaste2
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-19 12:54 PM (#19571 - in reply to #19523)

Expert Yogi

Namaste`2,

I'm not really good with explaining politics, or things related with government affairs...but, the King took back the country on Feb.1. The country had established democracy with elected government officials. Well, these government officials were so corrupt..it has been awful. They cheat these people out of their money, they steal money from the government, and they have a Maoist problem and so many people have died. My husband tried to get a letter from his government regarding his Birth Certificate. Here in America if I need that kind of document, I go to the courthouse and pay a small fee of no more that $20 if that, to get what I need. So far, he has paid these people over $200 to get this document and they know he is in America, and they take advantage of this. They think if you are in America you are rich making tons of money. So anyway, the King decided to take back the country and ousted all the bad guys and appointed new ones. So many people are criticizing him and are against him...I am for the King. These people do not know how to handle democracy and this country needs to learn the responsibilities that come with democracy (I do not want to argue the politics about this because there are so many factors involved). I will say that most of the older generation and my husband's parents are for the King because they lost their family business due to the Maoist situation - their lives have been threatened and the Maoist steal from their businesses. Soo, the holiday Holi is very much celebrated, it's not done in a carefree manner like before..it used to be all innocent and fun. Kinda like Halloween here in America. If you want to read more about Nepal go to www.kantipur.org , you can read about Condom Rice visiting Nepal this week trying to put her 0.02 cents worth in. Take care

Cyndi
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-25 10:21 AM (#20025 - in reply to #19571)
Subject: Happy Holi, Easter, etc. Day

Expert Yogi

Well, this weekend is chock full of everything!! Today is Good Friday, it's the Full Moon Day, it's Easter Sunday and it is the Holi Festival. So Happy Holiday's to everybody whatever you find yourself celebrating in
MrD
Posted 2005-03-25 3:11 PM (#20043 - in reply to #20025)
Subject: RE: Happy Holi, Easter, etc. D

Cyndi - 2005-03-25 10:21 AM

Well, this weekend is chock full of everything!! Today is Good Friday, it's the Full Moon Day, it's Easter Sunday and it is the Holi Festival. So Happy Holiday's to everybody whatever you find yourself celebrating in [/QUOTE

It's also the Jewish Feast of Purim.

Happy Holidays everyone, whichevery one you celebrate.
bomberpig
Posted 2005-03-25 6:11 PM (#20048 - in reply to #19393)

Cyndi thanks for the great summary about Nepal. I don't hear a lot about it because of our biased mainstram media that treats say Nicole Kidman's latest flick as news item. Also I don't get the Maoist thing. Aren't they like 50 years behind ? I certainly wouldn't wish the 'Great Leap Forward' and 'The Great Proletariat Cultural Revolution' on the Nepalese.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)