YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hi I'm New!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

soundselecatah
Posted 2005-03-18 6:23 PM (#19494)
Subject: Hi I'm New!

Hi everyone I’m new to this board and new to yoga! I listen to Andrea Bocelli while I do yoga. Does anyone else listen to him while they do yoga! I find it more soothing to listen to something like "Andrea" than any other type of music.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-18 9:03 PM (#19506 - in reply to #19494)
Subject: RE: Hi I'm New!

Welcome to the boards, Melanie!
I surely hope that was meant to be a joke, Andrea Bocelli! I don't wanna be drastic or rude but his music is imvho nothing but a cheapo commercial rip-off of classical music, lifted to undeserved popularity by "music lovers" who never have learned to use their ears properly. He's equally or even more annoying than Sarah Brightman. Also he's not that good a singer! His middle layer sounds nice but he really struggles when it comes to the higher pitched keyes - and that's a knock-out for a so-called tenor.
However, I prefer instrumental music when I'm on the mat, singing is too disturbing for my ears.
CGG
Posted 2005-03-18 9:29 PM (#19510 - in reply to #19506)

afroyogi - 2005-03-18 9:03 PM

Welcome to the boards, Melanie!
I surely hope that was meant to be a joke, Andrea Bocelli! I don't wanna be drastic or rude but his music is imvho nothing but a cheapo commercial rip-off of classical music, lifted to undeserved popularity by "music lovers" who never have learned to use their ears properly. He's equally or even more annoying than Sarah Brightman. Also he's not that good a singer! His middle layer sounds nice but he really struggles when it comes to the higher pitched keyes - and that's a knock-out for a so-called tenor.
However, I prefer instrumental music when I'm on the mat, singing is too disturbing for my ears.

Do you sing AfroYogi? From the commentary it sounds like you might.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who dislikes Bocelli! Whenever I mention that I went to college for opera people bring up Bocelli, Brightman, and that **** Charlotte Church. Ugh.

On the same note I never use music in my home practice. It tends to distract me. Thankfully I know the music typically used in my classes well enough to tune it out, but if a new CD is on the stereo I have to focus on not listening to the music.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-18 9:36 PM (#19511 - in reply to #19494)

GEEZ, superafro, give a new person a chance to get acclimated before you pounce! People around these parts sure get riled up easy about music and food!

I've never heard of Andrea Bocelli but I think Sarah Brightman's voice is pretty! Not a big Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but she had a solo album I used to dig. I don't, however, like listening to music in English when I practice because I get too distracted. Actually, the only thing with vocals that I like for practice is Deva Premal, but I don't use it in class very often (I go with the instrumentals for class). Once I took a yoga class where the teacher used Celine Dion! Talk about distracting!

I find it really hard to find yoga music that I can stomach, because that slow flowy stuff is really not my personal taste. I love techno and dance music for my general listening pleasure. But I just can't see busting a yoga move with the Black Eyed Peas bumpin in the background!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-18 9:40 PM (#19512 - in reply to #19510)

CGG - 2005-03-19 3:29 AM
Do you sing AfroYogi? From the commentary it sounds like you might.

I LOVE TO SING!!! Especially drunken at the beach at night, with a nice campfire going and surrounded by equally drunken buddies and lots of beer. Unfortunatley people don't like to hear me sing. That's what I have in common with Andrea and Sarah and Charlotte.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-18 9:45 PM (#19514 - in reply to #19494)

Well, I like Sarah so I would probably like you too!

When are you releasing an album? I'm sure my brother's small label would be glad to release the world debut of Afroyogi's Drunken Beach Singalong!

I can see it now, you'll be bigger than Jimmy Buffett!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-18 9:51 PM (#19517 - in reply to #19511)

jeansyoga - 2005-03-19 3:36 AM
GEEZ, superafro, give a new person a chance to get acclimated before you pounce! People around these parts sure get riled up easy about music and food!

Sorry mom ... uh, Jean. I'm not the perfect yogi yet so my tolerance only goes so far. When I hear people actually listening to that noise polution then I too "get riled up easy".

BTW, I also prefer silence when I practice. Having classes in a gym some music is good though. It blends out some of the background noise. And after a while one knows the CDs of the different teachers so it's easy not to be distracted by their music.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-18 9:56 PM (#19518 - in reply to #19494)

Well, I'm in a slightly different pitch of voice than Sarah. Think of Tom Waits having a bad night ...
zane
Posted 2005-03-18 10:11 PM (#19520 - in reply to #19494)

anyone else into music when they practice? I notice that I like classes that have the music more than silence... (years of doing my homework in front of the TV I imagine as a kid...) but looking on my own I have to say I don't like much of it...or seem unable to pick "good" yoga music...

any suggestions from music during practice likers?
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-18 10:41 PM (#19529 - in reply to #19511)

jeansyoga - 2005-03-20 11:36 AM

I've never heard of Andrea Bocelli but I think Sarah Brightman's voice is pretty! Not a big Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but she had a solo album I used to dig. I don't, however, like listening to music in English when I practice because I get too distracted. Actually, the only thing with vocals that I like for practice is Deva Premal, but I don't use it in class very often (I go with the instrumentals for class). Once I took a yoga class where the teacher used Celine Dion! Talk about distracting!

I find it really hard to find yoga music that I can stomach, because that slow flowy stuff is really not my personal taste. I love techno and dance music for my general listening pleasure. But I just can't see busting a yoga move with the Black Eyed Peas bumpin in the background!

i am sure they all sing better than me

jeans: i have tried yoga-ing to the black eyed peas but you end up shaking your hips!!

to the original poster, i think it is a personal choice. for me, i like to get inside myself and the music is way to distracting. i cant concentrate on 100% awareness if there is any background music - especially if there are lyrics! my mind wanders too easily. if it works for you great!

back to jeans: celine dion lovers do not read this:

there is no vomit smiley...too bad!!
CGG
Posted 2005-03-18 11:19 PM (#19534 - in reply to #19512)

afroyogi - 2005-03-18 9:40 PM

I LOVE TO SING!!! Especially drunken at the beach at night, with a nice campfire going and surrounded by equally drunken buddies and lots of beer. Unfortunatley people don't like to hear me sing. That's what I have in common with Andrea and Sarah and Charlotte.

Drinken singing is the most fun though.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-19 10:42 AM (#19562 - in reply to #19534)

Expert Yogi

Why does this topic come up so often? Who the heck decided asana practice should have music of any kind? Neel - we need Mr. Traditional Yoga here. Is there something in the sutras or some other dusty ancient text that says "thou shalt play plinky plunky music while teaching/practicing asana"? OK so I practice and teach with all sorts of things that aren't described in the ancient texts (although we know the old guys used a mat - deer skin - and kurunta props - trees) but I just don't get the music deal particularly for class. I don't think I would attempt to teach math or knitting or whatever with music playing. As a matter of fact, even music and dancing classes do their teaching with the music OFF most of the time! and that is not even getting into the most obvious point which this and every thread we have ever had about music brings out sooooo clearly - music is a very personal and evocative thing. What thrills one student will make another want to run away screaming and the odds of finding music that the whole room will enjoy is slim to none.

So my vote is: If you want music for your practice at home, go ahead but even if you think it isn't, it will be a distraction. For classes - NO MUSIC!

Ah - I love a good rant first thing in the morning
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-19 10:58 AM (#19564 - in reply to #19494)

Someone else made a good point - when you're teaching in a gym, music is essential to drown out (or at least distract from) the other sounds of people working out. One of the gyms where I teach, we have people literally throwing weights right outside the door. I can't imagine what they're doing out there, it sounds like a ring toss with 90 lb weights! Plus they blast heavy metal music, and when the class is almost over (during savasana), a group of 7th graders look in the window and dribble basketballs! So, that would provide the "soundtrack" for yoga if I didn't play some kind of music over the top.

I have taken some classes without music, and they were very rewarding and wonderful indeed. But, they were in a silent, warm, cozy yoga studio. Someday I will get to teach in a place like that. But until then, music it is!

Those who are allergic to music may be excused from class.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-19 11:24 AM (#19565 - in reply to #19494)

Sheesh... Hi, I'm new as well, and while I don't use music (at least not western music) during my practise, I happen to love opera AND am a huge Andrea Bocelli fan (which I realise is not actually common...

Afro, if you've ever met those like me you know there's no point in us arguing about it - neither of us will ever change our opinions, right?!   However, I will say that as much as I love him he is not Pavarotti, and does have operatic drawbacks.  That said, I believe he has shown a lot of growth in recent years.  I know many of the rabid fans (myself included in that rabid thing...) cannot admit Mr. Bocelli has any faults - I can do that and love his music anyway.  But I won't argue about it... and I come here usually for yoga, not music.

I must say it's rather intimidating to post for the first time & have a bunch of negative feedback all at once... regardless of whether it's about your choice of music or your choice of yogic practise, or whatever. I tend to be rather pacifistic & can hardly believe I'm going so far as even getting into this, but I think sometimes you've just got to speak, right?

Namaste,

Echo

Let no one charge me with ever having abused or encouraged weakness or surrendered on matters of principle. But I have said, as I say again, that every trifle must not be dignified into a principle.

- Mahatma Ghandi

afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-19 1:03 PM (#19572 - in reply to #19565)

Empress Echo - 2005-03-19 5:24 PM
Afro, if you've ever met those like me you know there's no point in us arguing about it - neither of us will ever change our opinions, right?!

Right! But my initial answer, even if it was a little harsh, was not about opinions or taste but quality! I'm a strong believer in the theory that music can be measured qualitywise. Bocelli (or rather his producers) makes music for the uneducated mass-market. Means: Low quality.
And also I don't think that music like Bocelli's wannabe pop-classic is appropriate to be listened to during practice. But that's only my opinion.

Empress Echo - 2005-03-19 5:24 PM
However, I will say that as much as I love him he is not Pavarotti, and does have operatic drawbacks.

And even Pavarotti is not the singer he once used to be. Problems with his timing and voice holding spring to mind here. I don't have too much a clue about classical and operatic music but that was confirmed by real experts.

That said I have to admit that I do pretty much everything with music on. I sometimes even need music or TV on to find sleep. However, yoga practice is one of the few things I prefer to do without music. And if music has to be on, then I prefer some inobtrusive, soft stuff that doesn't get me involved. I never could practice to the music of any of my favourite artists. And, pleeeeze, no singing!!! Singers are usually annoying enough. Even without yoga practice.

To explain my background, I play all kind of guitars and percussion, bass, harmonica and just a little bit keyboards and vibraphone. I own a rather expensive hi-fi system which I have meticulously fine-tuned for a neutral sound. Also I've spend much time in rehearsal and recording studios and know quite some of the tricks used today to make music sound nice. It needs trained ears (which I claim to have) to draw conclusions about the quality of music. I arrogate that I possess the capability to do so.

Edited by afroyogi 2005-03-19 1:18 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-19 2:24 PM (#19575 - in reply to #19565)
Subject: Andreas Bocelli Rocks!!

Expert Yogi

Hi Empress Echo,

My first Bikram to music class was Andreas Bocelli's Romanza album....It was totally awesome!! Instead of hearing the instructor's words we were listening to Andreas and she would come around the room and help us individually. It was totally cool and I went out and bought several of his CD's and fell in love with opera! Listening to his music while doing Bikram is very soothing and deep. Another good music CD to listen to is Celine Deon's "All the Way". Don't know if this is a girly thing, but I like it alot. We do Celine's at the studio I attend too. I recently wrote to Keiko and Kazu Matsui and told them how I love listening to their music while practicing Yoga...they were very delighted to hear this as they believe music can help you connect with the creator and sooth you inwardly. Kazu plays that Japanese Flute and his music has been in several famous movies like Bladerunner and some Arnold movies. He also played on Kenny Loggins "December" Cd as well. If you ever hear this music, it is incredible and with Keiko his wife, it is a spiritual experience to see them play in person. Kitaro is another great artist for doing Yoga to. I'm sure there are some die hard Yoga practitioners who say no music, which is probably correct when you are trying to concentrate and calm the mind...but for some of us, music is also good too!! I like to do both:~) Soo, Empress Echo, let me apologize for all the negative feedback, this is your positive feedback from me Cyndi who is right next door to you in North Carolina.. go out and feel good about yourself, Andreas Bocelli is an incredible artist (did you know he was blind?) besides, Ignorance and close mindedness is best left ignored! Take care and Namaste` and have a blessed day:~)

P.S. My favorite tune is Andreas and Celine together on his Sogna album "Prayer song" She also does a version on her Miracles CD solo, which will make you cry and is another good one to do yoga to.

Cyndi
tourist
Posted 2005-03-19 5:24 PM (#19583 - in reply to #19575)
Subject: RE: Andreas Bocelli Rocks!!

Expert Yogi

I was in a bit of a mood this morning, eh? I should say (and some of you who have been here awhile already know this) that when my kids were living at home I did practice to a lot of music because they always had music on. I had diverse "traditions" such as Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd (that's the classical stuff), Rufus Wainwright, Hayden, Cake, Ani diFranco, Squirrel Nut Zippers etc. When I am very lazy and just want to stretch and not necessarily practice Yoga, I love to watch the Antiques Roadshow or Inside the Actor's Studio. I have been known to listen to comedy albums while practicing - not recommended for sanitary reasons. Laughing or snorting through the nose is not a pretty sight while in headstand....
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-19 5:48 PM (#19586 - in reply to #19494)

Nor is having a hearty belly laugh while squatting!

I too have been guilty of yoga-ing during Law & Order reruns. Say what you will, but it beats just sitting on the couch and stuffing my face with fishsticks.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-19 6:42 PM (#19588 - in reply to #19583)

Expert Yogi

Oh My Gosh!! I haven't tried Pink Floyd...Dark Side of the Moon album would be perfect for yoga!!!
Gayle
Posted 2005-03-19 6:42 PM (#19589 - in reply to #19494)

Hi Melanie, and welcome. Finally I found another person that cannot stand Celine Dion! Music of any kind, during practice is very distracting to me too. I need to focus- and music makes that difficult.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-19 6:44 PM (#19590 - in reply to #19575)

Cyndi - 2005-03-20 8:24 PM
Andreas Bocelli is an incredible artist (did you know he was blind?)

... he was and still is! Also did you know that he's italian and so his name is Andrea?

Cyndi - 2005-03-20 8:24 PM
besides, Ignorance and close mindedness is best left ignored!

If you wanna ignore the ignorance (that's funny btw, is it a yogic principle?) why are you listening to such ignorant music then? So-called artists like Bocelli, Dion, Brightman and the likes should better be ignored too. Puppets in the hands of cynic producers and managers they are, ripping off clueless consumers ... arrrgh, I'm getting upset ...
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-19 9:25 PM (#19600 - in reply to #19494)

You know Afro, I can't help but half agree with you - you have some very sound arguments there.  But again, I'll leave it at that.

I can't practise yoga to western music - if anything it has to be eastern, instrumental, and quiet in the background.

Afro, I'm a musician also - although I haven't played in years - I used to play bass in a heavy metal band (yes, my tastes are a BIT broad - LOL!)  I also played guitar, drums, and several woodwinds, though it sounds like you have much more experience than I do.  I just love music - I cannot imagine a life without it.

Okay, I'm rambling now... shutting up! ;)

Namaste,

Echo

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-19 9:32 PM (#19604 - in reply to #19494)

I have been known to listen to comedy albums while practicing - not recommended for sanitary reasons. Laughing or snorting through the nose is not a pretty sight while in headstand....

ROFLMAO - sounds like that could be hazardous to your health!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-19 10:16 PM (#19610 - in reply to #19494)

One time, many years ago, I was working an overnite shift at a radio station. About 5am I put on "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd, laid down on the floor and instantly fell asleep! Does that count as yoga?

Next thing I knew, it was a half hour later, and the program director was standing over me going "Are you okay???" I guess he was on the way to work and tuned in to hear . . . the sounds of silence! I had kept on dozing after the record ended!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-19 10:22 PM (#19612 - in reply to #19494)

OOPS!   LOL  "Comfortably Numb" is definitely one of those comfortably relaxing songs - I guess the title speaks for itself!  Did you still have a job after that, I hope?!

I've fallen asleep a couple of times during savasana in the evenings - I then wake up wondering why I'm on the floor & not tucked into my bed!

Echo

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)