YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

types of yoga - I'm curious...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-19 10:15 PM (#19609)
Subject: types of yoga - I'm curious...

I was just wondering... do any of you practise more than one style of yoga, or pretty much stick to one?

I began with Wai Lana tapes (I really have no idea what type of yoga she practises, after months of doing that off & on!) and am now using "Power Yoga for Every Body" dvd with Barbara Benaugh.  I like them both, though I prefer the power yoga.

Is it unusual for people to practise more than one style of yoga?  I'm quite curious!

Namaste,

Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-03-20 10:53 AM (#19645 - in reply to #19609)
Subject: RE: types of yoga - I'm curiou

Expert Yogi

Most people try a variety of styles when they are beginning. it is good to find what works best for you. Although I will qualify this (and I know you have already heard it) and say that you really need a live teacher to get the proper feel for a type of yoga. Eventually though, it is considered best to find one tradition and work with it. It is often compared to drilling a lot of shallow wells - you have to dig deep to get to the water. Or you can compare it to mountain climbing. You can climb part way up a lot of mountains and consider yourself quite the climber, but if you never make it to the top of one, you are not challenging yourself to really fulfill the bigger goal. Practicing with dvd's, using the above analogy, you are just running up and down that hill you used to play on when you were a kid. Don't get me wrong - it is a great start and more than a lot of people do! Keep looking until you find the right mountain for you to climb
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-20 11:00 AM (#19648 - in reply to #19609)
Subject: RE: types of yoga - I'm curious...

Thank you, Tourist!  I appreciate the advice.   It's exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, due to various circumstances, I can't attend a class right now and have to stick with my dvd.  While I enjoyed the Wai Lana tapes they never really inspired me like the power yoga dvd does, and as it has quite a lot of workouts on it (24 from beginner to challenging) it will keep me climbing that mountain for quite some time   But I do hope to be able to attend a class one day in the near future!

Thanks again!
Echo

afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-20 12:18 PM (#19655 - in reply to #19609)

As much as I would like to try out different yoga styles I'm kinda stuck with iyengar, after my first contact with yoga was made through bikram (don't we all?). This I do for 2 reasons: First I don't wanna do it on my own but prefer to have a live teacher. Second is that classes are really too expensive for me so I only practice yoga in the fitness club. And there they only offer iyengar. But that's okay with me since iyengar gives me a good and strong foundation from which I can explore further into yogaland once my contract is running out. That's like 1,5 years from now and I hope that iyengar will keep me busy until then. As for now it's challenging enough. After that I will probably go into the ashtanga style. Let's wait and see.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-20 1:46 PM (#19659 - in reply to #19655)

Expert Yogi

Some of us just find the right one right away Stefan So when your contract runs out, will you be a euroyogi again or do you go wherever the wind/company with a good contract takes you?
CGG
Posted 2005-03-20 4:24 PM (#19666 - in reply to #19609)

I mostly practice anusara. It was the first kind of yoga class I ever attended, and my favorite teachers so far have been schooled in anusara. Another teacher at my studio teaches in the Kripalu style though and I attend those too.

This summer, after two years in CT, I'm moving back to NYC. I'm currently checking out studios and classes there so that when I move I can take classes again ASAP. Seeing how other people practice has been a great experience for me, and though I want to continue with anusara I think that working some with other styles has deepened my practice.
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-20 5:38 PM (#19667 - in reply to #19609)

I'm a mixed nut yogini myself.

I've mainly taken classes at my gym because they offered two yoga classes a week, and the membership cost about half as much as taking eight classes at a local studio. One of the teachers was more of an athletic-yoga type, and the other was more of an Iyengar and Sivananda type. I liked both, and the free class offered at a studio in town seems to be fairly broad but many of the teachers (they rotate the class) seem to work in a pre-ashtanga manner. I've taken an ashtanga class and loved that as well. Haven't tried Bikram yet - and may not, who knows - and the Anusara studio dropped their drop-in classes.....

All that being said, though, I'm working on an eclectic home practice now, and starting to narrow down a focus to either Ashtanga or Sivananda. And that goes back and forth depending on what day it is!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-20 6:25 PM (#19669 - in reply to #19659)

tourist - 2005-03-21 7:46 PM

Some of us just find the right one right away Stefan So when your contract runs out, will you be a euroyogi again or do you go wherever the wind/company with a good contract takes you?

I meant my contract with the gym, Glenda. They only have 3 year contracts here, isn't that terrible? Okay, it costs only like 25$ a month but I couldn't afford additional classes on a regular basis since we live from my wife's pension and I don't have a work permit. So far we have no intents of leaving SA soon. Living here is pretty much the best thing possible for us. Back in Gerryland I would have to find a job which is not easy with 10% unemployment rate and the fact that I didn't work since '99 and am in my 40s already. Underqualified and overaged, you get the picture. Logically we prefer to enjoy our carefree hippie-esque lifestyle in Africa
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-20 11:10 PM (#19694 - in reply to #19609)

Sounds like a pretty good life, Stefan - mind if we join ya?
tourist
Posted 2005-03-21 10:07 AM (#19712 - in reply to #19669)

Expert Yogi

Wow - a 3 year gym contract is a big committment! OTOH, you are able to get a lot of yoga for your $25 per month, which is great. DH keeps talking to surf ski paddlers from SA so you never know - we may show up to visit you one day
MrD
Posted 2005-03-21 3:22 PM (#19731 - in reply to #19609)

Empress Echo - 2005-03-19 10:15 PM

Is it unusual for people to practise more than one style of yoga? I'm quite curious!

Namaste,

Echo

I think that that really depends on the person. In our area yoga studios are mostly of the We're into one kind of yoga only, but I do have 2 studios that have quite a variety. One offers Power, Anusara, Sivananda, and Ashtanga.

I've done several different schools and frankly everyone of them has strengths and weaknesses. So personally I attend at least 2 different styles each week. But I'm the kind who hates the same routine day in and day out. The variety helps keep it fresh.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-21 4:27 PM (#19734 - in reply to #19609)

Lora & Glenda: Anytime! Just gimme a holler when you come so that I can pick you up at the airport and have enough time to start the bbq.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)