YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Living and Dying
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Thushara
Posted 2005-03-23 10:52 PM (#19917 - in reply to #19902)
Subject: RE: Living and Dying

Bay Guy - 2005-03-24 8:32 AM

I agree with Neel's observation about how people like others to
treat them, but some people seem to take the attitude that because
life is short, they should do as much as they can for themselves while
they are here without worrying to much about others. The rest of us
spend a lot of time trying to get such people to treat others the way that
they themselves would like to be treated.

Very well said !

PS. BG, what do you think of that web site ? www.partingwishes.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-24 7:21 AM (#19930 - in reply to #19917)

Expert Yogi

I looked at the web site just now. It's kind of hilarious.
You can leave detailed instructions for your funeral.
You can set up a "permanent memorial in cyberspace".

How would you like to have a permanent memorial in cyberspace?

If you wish, you can set up a permanent location in the "MyLife" area of our web site where you will always be remembered. Include photos, thoughts, memories, accomplishments, or anything else you'd like to be remembered by.

How "permanent" is anything online?

I've already given instructions for my funeral: don't have one.
Spend as little money as possible in disposing of my remains.
Funerals are for the living, not the dead.

Thushara
Posted 2005-03-24 7:31 AM (#19932 - in reply to #19930)

Yeah I know what you mean.. I think its wise way of thinking... I think not much different to that!

LoraB
Posted 2005-03-24 9:18 AM (#19934 - in reply to #19614)

More importantly than spending as little $$ as possible (I'm with you there, BG - I'd rather have peopel throw a big ol' party), in light of certain (long-running) current events, make d**m sure people know what it is you want and get it written in stone somewhere!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-24 10:24 AM (#19945 - in reply to #19930)

Expert Yogi

Just as a "stir the pot" type of question - if funerals are for the living, shouldn't the living have some choice in the matter? I have had relatives who said "no funeral" and it was quite disconcerting. There was no sense of completion and no reason to bring family and friends together. "No service" is a better choice in my experience. We went ahead and had a memorial tea for my grandmother - no speeches or sermons - and that was very nice. Then a VERY small group to spread the ashes later on.

I have a friend who has elaborate plans for her funeral but they all are very cheap and intended to be fun (and this is from a staunch Catholic!). Since the classic pine box is now apparently cardboard, she wants to have magic markers for us all to draw on it, balloons, bubbles, lots of music. Oh yes, she is also Irish so a wake is in the plans, too.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-24 12:54 PM (#19960 - in reply to #19945)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-03-24 10:24 AM

Just as a "stir the pot" type of question - if funerals are for the living, shouldn't the living have some choice in the matter? I have had relatives who said "no funeral" and it was quite disconcerting. There was no sense of completion and no reason to bring family and friends together.

Oh, I completely agree with this. What I really don't want is for my survivors to feel that
they are obligated go through all the added stress, hassle, and expense of putting on a big
show to "honor my memory". It will make no difference at all to *me*, since I won't be
there for it. And I am therefore not going to leave instructions either. Funerals are for the
living, to do for themselves.

bomberpig
Posted 2005-03-24 5:57 PM (#19977 - in reply to #19614)

Just wondered what the American yogis and yoginis think of the Terry Schiavo thing. From where I am sitting it's a case of ' those Americans are so strange...'.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-24 7:42 PM (#19986 - in reply to #19977)

Expert Yogi

Well, about the Terry Shaivo thing....I guess you could say her parents are doing the noble thing according to their faith. If it were me, I would want to be in peace, whatever that would entail. I pray that I will be blessed with the right karma so that I, my family and relations will never have to endure that type of suffering. So, my prayers go towards the families who are having to endure this type of suffering that has gone to such an extreme level, and may the highest good come from this event. May there be a very good lesson for all to learn.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-24 9:23 PM (#19995 - in reply to #19977)

Expert Yogi

bomberpig - 2005-03-24 2:57 PM

Just wondered what the American yogis and yoginis think of the Terry Schiavo thing. From where I am sitting it's a case of ' those Americans are so strange...'.

I haven't followed it closely but I presume the parents are "right to life" on religious grounds? Correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway, I wonder about the conflict between insisting that she live out more time on earth and denying her the opportunity to heaven? Nevertheless, I am so glad not to have to make those sorts of decisions. Heartbreaking no matter which side you believe is right.
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-24 9:40 PM (#19996 - in reply to #19614)

The Terri Schiavo case is really sad because its a very private matter thats now been politicized. I feel that she is becoming a pawn in some game. I do hope that it a resolution happens to to bring peace to the families.

It has made me start thinking though what is life and what is death. Terri, and others in these "vegetative states" are technically alive, but yet they are not aware. Where is one's soul? Is it trapped? Has it gone onto the next world?

I am not religious myself. I did grow up in a fundamentalist church, so I am aware of how Christians might interpret that question but I would like to know how others might answer it.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-24 10:30 PM (#20002 - in reply to #19996)

Expert Yogi

What terrifies me about this case is that our Congress went and made a law affecting
one individual AND trampling entirely the legal processes of the State of Florida.
The US Congress has never been a very thoughtful or responsible
body (with the exception of some Great Americans like Ted Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey,
Robert Byrd, and S.I. Hayakawa), but lately the Congress has shown
that Democracy in America is founded in bedlam rather than principled reasoning.

If I were brain dead and beyond reach I'd hope my family would pull the plug and
get on with their lives. Deciding whether I would be beyond reach is not so easy,
though. Is the cure just around the corner? Did my finger twitch when someone
talked to me? Oh dear god... and I've been reading about ALS lately, which simply
scares the SH!T out of me....a functioning mind trapped within an unresponsive body.

bomberpig
Posted 2005-03-25 6:19 PM (#20049 - in reply to #19614)

Bay Guy you are spot on. What we outside America couldn't fathom is the level of political interference that had happened in this case. Luckily you appear to have a pretty sensible and independent supreme court. What people here can't understand is these Americans go on about sanctity of life and how it is so imperative to save one woman's life, but on the other hand you have the death penalty, people can have as many guns they want and it's ok for kids to get these guns to shoot their classmates, it's ok to start a war somewhere and if you happen to be caught in the middle it's 'collateral damage' and gee bad luck ( there are a lot of people who haven't forgotten the bombing of the Chinese embassy for instance, not to mention Iraq ).
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-25 8:32 PM (#20061 - in reply to #20049)

Expert Yogi

If I reply to this, we'll be back into politics. I live in the twilight years of
the Weimar Republic.... Opps, I'm being called to dinner.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-25 10:27 PM (#20075 - in reply to #19852)

Expert Yogi

redtail - 2005-03-23 7:13 AM

So, once again, I would have to say that the answer lies in being compassionate, honest, kind, all of those "good" words that come to mind, in any given moment. I feel that this is the "simple" answer to your question of "what does best mean?" As we die, our thoughts, attitudes, and the environment that this event takes place in, will be causes for other future events or not.

Namaste

That's more or less where my values lie as well, moment to moment. There's a longer
arc that our moments trace as they add up to a lifetime, and I still wonder how best to
set that arc. You can pursue goals for mankind, or you can pursue goals for yourself.
Most of us despair of the first and have our hands full with the second. I get annoyed
when I see people who have the wherewithal to help mankind but who choose instead
to help themselves.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)