YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hand Stand
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

CGG
Posted 2005-03-19 11:21 PM (#19617)
Subject: Hand Stand

So I've been practicing hand stand for about three weeks now. The problem is that I can't seem to go up into it when I work at home. I don't think it's fear, distractions, or anything wrong with my floor, but something just isn't working. It's starting to frustrate me.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twisti
Posted 2005-03-19 11:27 PM (#19618 - in reply to #19617)
Subject: RE: Hand Stand

There is the old 'up against the wall' approach, taking one leg away at a time until you can get both off and balance on your own.

If it is fear that is holding you back, you can practice purposely doing the thing you are scared of. Normally in handstand that is falling over in to a backbend. Purposely do this a few times (only a few though you don't want to make it a habit...) to get it out of your system, it may help get over the psychological barrier.

For me handstand had nothing to do with my body, its all in my head!
CGG
Posted 2005-03-20 12:01 AM (#19619 - in reply to #19618)

There is the old 'up against the wall' approach, taking one leg away at a time until you can get both off and balance on your own.

If it is fear that is holding you back, you can practice purposely doing the thing you are scared of. Normally in handstand that is falling over in to a backbend. Purposely do this a few times (only a few though you don't want to make it a habit...) to get it out of your system, it may help get over the psychological barrier.

For me handstand had nothing to do with my body, its all in my head!

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I actually do practice it against the wall. Also, I don't think it's fear holding me back. I know that I can do the pose because I have so many times in classes. That's part of what's so frustrating. Maybe I'm afraid of practicing alone, but I really don't think that's it either.
twisti
Posted 2005-03-20 8:35 AM (#19627 - in reply to #19617)

NO probs CGG,

Make sure there is lots of space around you, if I think I am gonna hit the wall/table/door/dog/stereo etc I sure hold back! ;)

If you can do it in class perhaps you just need to practice focusing in a different envirnoment, getting into Yoga headspace in your living room can be more of a challenge than it sounds.

Really focus on grounding through you hands and lifting through the shoulders. Keep the legs stiff and try to work them as one. Practice coming up on to your tip toes while in lift off position and see if you have the strength in your arms to just lift your feet slightly off the ground (as opposed to jumping) this will ensure that most of the weight is over you upper body before taking off so you will be less likely to be thrrown of balance. This can also be done against a wall.... working towards a deadlift.

That all makes sense in my head so hopefully it came out right!?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-20 9:02 AM (#19631 - in reply to #19627)

Expert Yogi

Two other thoughts ...

Make sure that you are at the same distance from the wall as you are
using in your classes...sometimes in a change of setting we'll unconsciously
change the way we are setting up for a pose.

If you usually do some other poses to warm up for handstand in your classes,
then do those poses at home, too. I usually "start" my practice with handstand,
in the sense that it's the first pose that I am doing with intensity or a prolonged
hold, but I'll often prepare for it with down-dog, uttansana, and maybe Ardha Chandrasana,
to wake up the muscles in the forearms, shoulders, and hips (I practice it as a deadlift away
from the wall, so the hips are fingers are pretty important to the stability of pose).

Handstand can take quite a long time to master, in the sense of both building strength
and finding balance. It took me about 1.5 years of daily practice to get to doing the
pose as a lift w/o the wall, and I fell *A LOT* before that happened. Don't be discouraged
if this one does not come quickly.

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-03-20 9:05 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-03-20 10:34 AM (#19639 - in reply to #19617)

Expert Yogi

Good suggestions above. Let me add that it is more than ok to practice at the wall. I have seen strong students make vast improvements in their pose by using the wall to get more length by moving the heels up the wall. You can also put your chin towards your chest while at the wall and a) lengthen the neck and b) get the shoulders aligned.

Do check the distance of your hands from the wall. That was one of my problems when I started doing handstands at home. If you are too close you will get most of the way up and just sort of bounce off the wall. Keep your shoulders lifted and over your wrists. There is a tendency to lean into the wall and it throws everything off. You may want to try the pose with fingers pointing out to the edges of your mat. It feels like it will be harder if you aren't used to it but it is actually a little easier. Keep your legs straight and think about getting your kicking leg up to the ceiling rather than the wall. Let the following leg just follow because once the kicker is up, the rest should be "easy"
CGG
Posted 2005-03-20 11:35 AM (#19653 - in reply to #19617)

Thanks Twisti, Tourist, and Bay Guy. I'm going to print out all of your posts. There's so much good stuff in there, especially about making more space, and making sure that my hands are the same distance from the wall as they are in class.

Hand Stand was a huge breakthrough for me. I came to yoga with lots of flexibility, but almost no upper body strength and very little steadiness. No one was more surprised than I the first time I was able to get up into it on my own.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)