YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iyengar books: soooo good !
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

cerise
Posted 2005-03-20 12:36 AM (#19621)
Subject: Iyengar books: soooo good !

just to share that the book LOY, as well as BKS Iyengar's Light on Pranayama, are the best two books on yoga I have ever read. I also thoroughly enjoy his Yoga Vrksa (Tree of Yoga).
His books are very structured, logical in presentation, very informative, full of details and he shares his experience in such a beuatiful way. We can feel that A LOT OF WORK is involved in writing these books.

Have you had the same experience ?

And by the way, any other book of the same intense quality would you recommend ?

I recently read one of Andre van Lysbeth's book (in French) and also learnt a lot from his insights. There are details from his own experience as a teacher/life-time student which are very interesting and which I found useful. I would recommend any of his books (I don't know if they have been translated into English though)

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-20 8:53 AM (#19629 - in reply to #19621)
Subject: RE: Iyengar books: soooo good !

Expert Yogi

cerise - 2005-03-20 12:36 AM

just to share that the book LOY, as well as BKS Iyengar's Light on Pranayama, are the best two books on yoga I have ever read. I also thoroughly enjoy his Yoga Vrksa (Tree of Yoga).
His books are very structured, logical in presentation, very informative, full of details and he shares his experience in such a beuatiful way. We can feel that A LOT OF WORK is involved in writing these books.

Have you had the same experience ?

Yes! These books a amazing!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-20 9:03 AM (#19632 - in reply to #19621)
Subject: RE: Iyengar books: soooo good

Dear cerise:
If you do not mind, I have a personal question. If you mind, just ignore my question. My aim is not to test you, but to know something else. You read the two books you mentioned as great ones. I want to know a) when you read them or how long have you been reading them. b) what is the exact relation between the books and your practice, I mean which is not demostratable.

The same question for Brother Bay Guy.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-20 9:17 AM (#19638 - in reply to #19632)

Expert Yogi

Dear Brother Neel,

I'll try to answer your questions.

a) I read Light on Pranayama cover-to-cover over the course of
September to December 2004, following the recommendation of my teacher.

b) I practice various pranayamas given in that book for what totals to
1.5 to 2 hours per week. These include: Ujjayi XIII, Viloma IX, Analoma IV, and
Nadi Sodhana IV.

a, again) I first read Light on Yoga starting in summer of 2002, I think,
and repeatedly since then. I have read every part of this book at least once, and
some parts an uncountable number of times.

b) My weekly practice is built upon the sequences given on pages 484-486. Today,
I will probably do the one called "3rd day of the week". I add to these sequences
at points, and have moved a few parts around (shoulderstand after backbends, rather
than before).

Bay Guy
tourist
Posted 2005-03-20 10:58 AM (#19647 - in reply to #19621)

Expert Yogi

I think the amazing thing about LOY and LOP (and LO Sutras) is their depth. I refer to it constantly and so do my teachers. Although they have studied Iyengar yoga for many, many years and have used the books all that time, they are regularly surprised by some new insight on a pose or a bit of philosophy that seems like it wasn't in there the last time they read it. We joke about how he keeps rewriting his books when we aren't looking.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-21 8:59 AM (#19707 - in reply to #19621)

I wish to thank Brother Bay Guy and tourist for answering the first part of my question. In case, the second part is missed, I would like to know this:

If they compare the amount, extent, etc of the books, or even just the part of the book they are using (even if it is just one pose), how does their Demonstratable Practice (I mean the demonstration) compare to what is written in the book?

Same question for cerise.

Thanks again.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-21 10:37 AM (#19717 - in reply to #19707)

Expert Yogi

Neel --- I'm afraid that I don't really understand what you are asking? --- Bay Guy
tourist
Posted 2005-03-21 10:38 AM (#19718 - in reply to #19707)

Expert Yogi

Neel - I'm not sure what you are asking here. Are you asking how the instructions given (in LOY for example) affect how I practice an individual pose? We refer to LOY constantly for info on poses - to see if the feet are together or apart in Ustrasana or Salabhasana, for example. So in that way, yes, the teaching given in the book affects my practice daily. The philosophical aspect, the understanding of the system as a whole is also understood through these books. I hope that answers your question.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-21 11:45 PM (#19755 - in reply to #19621)

Sorry for the Unclear question. I shall try to clarify: what I am asking is: There was a comment by cerise that these two books are very indepth and very exahaustive, and he has read them fully or whatever. They BG said he read them cover to cover, etc. What I am asking is:

The practice done by reading these books and the extent of either the whole book, or the details of the part of the book. Is there a vast difference in these two events or is the difference is negligible?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-22 3:26 AM (#19768 - in reply to #19621)
Subject: loy is my **bible**

brother neel,

i keep this book on my kitchen table! the yoga asanas section is a valuable resource. if i am trying to learn a new asana or if i need confirmation when i am thinking about how something is done properly - the book always comes in handy.

when i eat my meals, i usually flip through it for new things to try or just because i havent got the whole thing memorized

i like the fact that there are appendices but i dont use them as much as i should.

i have requested my husband bring back the light on the yoga sutras for me as the intro in loy does summarize the meaning of yoga but i am looking for something a little less brief - it will become my new beside the bed book!! (replacing the meditation book that is there right now!) i also asked for geeta iyengars book for ladies (that will replace the one in the bathtub!! )
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-22 3:32 AM (#19769 - in reply to #19755)

kulkarnn - 2005-03-23 1:45 PM

Is there a vast difference in these two events or is the difference is negligible?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

oops! i forgot to answer this! for yoga philosophy,pranayama and asanas that i already know - negligible but that is because my main mentor studied iyengar yoga! for new asanas and new pranayama there is no difference because i do what it says in the book - and then if i cant figure it out - i post my questions here

i agree with glenda on one thing - you can read it a few times, then come back to it and suddenly you errr..... see the LIGHT......
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-22 8:59 AM (#19777 - in reply to #19621)

Thanks for the Sun in the East, esternsun. About, Patanjali, you might like to order my translation which shall be out next month. This will have just translation of Sutras. If you wish my whole video speeches, there will be 16 1 hour videos, 7 on the first chapter, and then 3 on each remaining chapter. I exceeded the time given for the first by only 4 hours. They shall cost total 120 dollars. First 10 are ready.

Thanks for your answer, and I did get what I was looking for in it, as for you.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-03-22 9:58 AM (#19780 - in reply to #19777)

Expert Yogi

Ah, I see what you are asking Neel. Of course for me there is no "difference" since I have always (as an adult) practiced Iyengar yoga with Iyengar teachers. There is very much a difference from when I practiced in the 60's and 70's both because I was very young and had no teacher and because yoga was "young" to North America. Having access to Iyengar books and teaching was a wonderful thing for me since I always had so many questions on how to best do the pose, how do move deeper into it and how to progress in practice. Those questions are all answered in LOY or by my excellent teachers who access the source of the teachings by going to Pune regularly.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-22 10:52 PM (#19837 - in reply to #19755)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2005-03-21 11:45 PM

The practice done by reading these books and the extent of either the whole book, or the details of the part of the book. Is there a vast difference in these two events or is the difference is negligible?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

I think I understand your question, Neel --- whether the descriptions
in, say Light on Yoga match the style of practice. This is actually
tricky, because what an Iyengar teacher will teach you today is a bit
different from what Iyengar put into his book 50 years ago. First, the
descriptions of the postures in LOY are sketchy. They don't go into the
details of alignment the way, say, my teacher might. LOY does not address
sequencing directly, instead grouping poses mainly by classification: standing
asanas, forward bends, twists, arm balances, backbends. These groupings
don't reflect anatomy as well as they might seem to, since you can have
twisting arm balances or twisting standing poses that might actually sequence
well with seated twists. Today's thinking is different.

Light on Pranayama, in contrast, is a much more mature or modern
work, both in the sense of covering today's teaching and in the sense of
presenting fine details of the practice. While reading LOY cannot substitute
for working with an Iyengar teacher, reading LOP can. (Let me add, for the benefit
of those who have not read these books or worked with an Iyengar teacher, that that
last remark is a very strong statement.) What's missing from LOP are the asanas
that might be used in preparation for pranayama, and discussion of the sequencing
that one might follow (the appendices at the back of LOP give sequences w/o explanation).

To go back to the question, then, it depends on which book. LOP is very close to
what I practice (either alone or in a class). LOY is an outline which I fill in with things
that I have learned through my own practice or in classes. I follow the sequences about 80%
of the way they are written, and I practice the asanas as I have learned them through
experience.

I will conclude by undermining my own remarks a bit. My teacher has had a greater
impact on my practice of pranayama than upon my practice of asana (although the latter
is hardly small). This is because I never practiced pranayama until I learned it from
my teacher, whereas many hands have shaped me in asana.

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-23 1:46 PM (#19877 - in reply to #19621)

thanks to tourist and bay guy for your answers. thanks again.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-24 3:57 AM (#19928 - in reply to #19777)

kulkarnn - 2005-03-23 7:59 PM

Thanks for the Sun in the East, esternsun. About, Patanjali, you might like to order my translation which shall be out next month. This will have just translation of Sutras. If you wish my whole video speeches, there will be 16 1 hour videos, 7 on the first chapter, and then 3 on each remaining chapter. I exceeded the time given for the first by only 4 hours. They shall cost total 120 dollars. First 10 are ready.

Thanks for your answer, and I did get what I was looking for in it, as for you.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Kulkarnn,

Can I buy it online?

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-24 1:43 PM (#19966 - in reply to #19621)

Dear Thushara:
When you say online, I think you mean credit cards. I decided to forgo credit cards 4 years ago and have been happy to be away from all Credit Card related things. Of course, that is not my lifetime promise. You can send a check to me, or you can send Rs. check to my Bombay address and I shall send the CDs to you. Let me know. Just use the current whatever conversion rate.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-28 12:04 AM (#20268 - in reply to #19966)

Thank you so much for the information kulkarnn. Where can I find more information on that? I went through your site and couldnt find it. Do you have a book too ? I just have a micro library at home and I prefer old style books instead CDs.. Any way from where I can find more info on that ?

Its sad to hear that you dont deal with credit card transactions . I think you must have

Thanks

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-28 2:18 PM (#20313 - in reply to #19621)

Dear Thushara:
I could not understand your question, when you say information on that. Let me try again, if you need ask me a specific question:

- the description of the Video CD on Patanjali: This is a video taping of my lectures on the Patanjali Yoga Aphorisms. They are supposed to be approx 3 hours for each chapter, that is total of 12 hours, for 4 chapters. However, the first chapter took extra 4 hours time. Thus, so far 1st and 2nd chapter are complete, and 3rd shall be on 9th April. Thus, now 10 CDs are ready and another 3 will be done by 12 th April. They cost as I wrote above before.

- to mail a check to India, send in Rupees to Neel Kulkarni, send me an email so I can send you the address.
- to mail a check in Dollars to USA, send to Neel Kulkarni, Apt 104, 2536 Chain Bridge Road, Vienna, VA 22181.
- You can also send a cash to both of the above if you feel that is easy. Or, Money Order.

My website is not uptodate with the latest work.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Thushara
Posted 2005-03-28 10:20 PM (#20378 - in reply to #20313)

Ok thanks Kulkarnn for the info.. I will inform you if Im going to buy this.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)