YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

gas
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

bigdummy
Posted 2005-03-21 10:09 PM (#19750)
Subject: gas

I was wondering if anyone else has this admittedly embarrassing problem. Often when I go to class I release loud farts. They usually don't smell, but I never know if other yogis know it's me. Sometimes I hear snickers from other students and my face becomes hot and red. Has anyone else had similar problems? I like doing yoga in a class and don't want to give that up to practice at home, but this is very embarrassing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-21 10:16 PM (#19752 - in reply to #19750)
Subject: RE: gas

Expert Yogi

Well, I think that is why they call it Wind Relieving Pose or where I come from we call it the farting posture heehee. I always let some air out after this one...for some reason, I can hold it better when I'm in a studio than at home. At home I'm free and natural...at the studio I probably don't go as deep in the posture. My reason for studio practice has been to go there to learn and have the teacher make modifications to my alignment, then I do it from home to get the real yoga experience....so, I can fart away What a funny topic...I can't wait to read these posts. Bruce will probably have more to tell about how to *fart* in Savasana, then he wonders why the teacher lights the incense wands, LOL!!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-21 11:39 PM (#19754 - in reply to #19750)

Dear bigdummy:
You have a gas (indigestion) problem. And, there is not much you can do until you advance in your Yoga Practice when the problem shall disappear after reduction, to your own surprise. Following are some tips, which you may use only for partial success or your satisfaction:

- Do NOT eat 6 hours before class, and take a liquid meal 6 hours before class, such as Fruit Juce, or Buttermilk (thinned yogurt), etc. This shall relieve the gas before the class time, and possible relieving restroom visit.

- Do the poses which relieve gases before thhe class, and let the gas be released at home practice before the class.

Best Luck.
neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-22 2:01 PM (#19798 - in reply to #19750)

This can happen to even the best of us, James. The other day my teacher let one go, very loudly, much to the amusement of the whole class. I mean, he was sitting on his podium, demonstrating a pose, clearly elevated above the rest of us. It was a real cracker!
Here's what I do to avoid the most embarassing parts: I try not to have a big meal before class. I don't meet Brother Neel's suggestion of 6 hours though. But 4 hours before class I try to have my last (light) meal. Also I try to find a timing that enables me to empty my bowel completely before I leave for class. I sometimes even miss the start of class because I'm still busy in the restroom. But hey, that's life.
MrD
Posted 2005-03-22 2:32 PM (#19805 - in reply to #19750)

Tighten the Mula Bhanda in those poses that cause wind breaking.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-22 3:15 PM (#19810 - in reply to #19754)
Subject: Buttermilk and Gas

Expert Yogi

Namaste` Neelbhai,

I once had an Indian doctor prescribe the buttermilk recipe for me. He told me to drink the buttermilk after my meals. Instead of relieving my indigestion problem, it made me bloat like crazy at first...and then I had extreme gas. Then I tried adding the Indian *black* salt to the buttermilk as he suggested, which was worse, and I won't describe the smell that came from adding this particular salt.

So, to correct my problem and using this doctor's advice...I found that if I drink buttermilk alone without any meal, it helps this problem tremendously, and if I do it 2-3 hours before bedtime. I have used this as an evening meal by drinking buttermilk made with my homemade cornbread. Next morning my stomach is usually feeling quite fine, no bloating and no gas.

By the way, in America, the store bought yogurt is much different than in India, so is Buttermilk. I get the best results from buttermilk...NOT Yogurt as I think the buttermilk enzymes seem to do better. The Tibetans I know say the same thing about American yogurt and buttermilk as this is what they use as well from the Yak or Dri (which is the female yak). Thanks for reminding me about the buttermilk, that recipe with the cornbread came from my Mother and is what they ate all the time on the country farm using fresh buttermilk. I do have available true buttermilk straight from the cow, which is a totally different taste.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-23 11:50 AM (#19866 - in reply to #19750)

Dear MrD and all others:

With all love for MrD, mulabandha and tightening must NOT be done when there is gas in order to stop the flow of gas going out. A gas which is trying to pass out must never be stopped. If that is done, it is a)NON-Yoga b) Unhealthy c) and, also filthy. Because what you do not like outside, you are keeping it inside.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-23 12:00 PM (#19868 - in reply to #19750)

Hello CyndiBen:

I once had an Indian doctor prescribe the buttermilk recipe for me. He told me to drink the buttermilk after my meals. Instead of relieving my indigestion problem, it made me bloat like crazy at first...and then I had extreme gas.
===> Buttermilk has an acid which creates salivation while in the mouth and also creates relief due to acididy if the stomach is lacking in it. This relief is MISTAKENLY understood as helping indgiestion. Buttermilk and NOTHING else can ever help indigestion, because the BUTTERMILK and everything else (except water) itself needs digestion.

Then I tried adding the Indian *black* salt to the buttermilk as he suggested, which was worse, and I won't describe the smell that came from adding this particular salt.
===> Black Salt is a poison, and so is white salt and all spices which I myself like in the Indian Food. The spices, being poison in small or big doses, create high which brings more blood to the digestive track, giving a feeling of relief, which is mistakenly understood as digestion. Same thing with all herbal teas.

So, to correct my problem and using this doctor's advice...I found that if I drink buttermilk alone without any meal, it helps this problem tremendously, and if I do it 2-3 hours before bedtime.
===> When buttermilk is taken alone, it is good (in a limited sense, I mean it is not the best human food. But, it is good.). Because, it is easy to digest as compared to milk and it has lots of good nutrients. When it is taken alone, it is easy to digest. Also, it still gives little relief as described above. Bedtime has NO relation with this.

I have used this as an evening meal by drinking buttermilk made with my homemade cornbread. Next morning my stomach is usually feeling quite fine, no bloating and no gas.
===> Cornbread or anyother bread is bad with buttermilk. Because, the bread requires Ptylin, an alkali, to digest which is neutralized by the acid in the buttermilk causing more work for secreting more Ptylin for bread digestion. However, the salivation process and acidity give a false feeling of digestion due to relief.

By the way, in America, the store bought yogurt is much different than in India, so is Buttermilk. I get the best results from buttermilk...NOT Yogurt as I think the buttermilk enzymes seem to do better. The Tibetans I know say the same thing about American yogurt and buttermilk as this is what they use as well from the Yak or Dri (which is the female yak). Thanks for reminding me about the buttermilk, that recipe with the cornbread came from my Mother and is what they ate all the time on the country farm using fresh buttermilk. I do have available true buttermilk straight from the cow, which is a totally different taste.
===> What is called Yogurt here is a very very bad substance and it is not buttermilk as you wrote correctly.

===> I wish you all the well, and I would like a glass of buttermilk when I come to GA, of course with black salt pinch in it.

Brother Neel
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-23 12:26 PM (#19869 - in reply to #19868)

Expert Yogi

Neelbhai,

Would you Pullleeze quit saying tea is bad, it's ruining my enjoyment of having my morning tea as I look over the mountains, now stop it

BTW, you can have all that black salt you want...I'll even send you home with a jar of it - but you have to come to NC not GA.

Seriously, thank you. I understand where you are going with all this and I will keep that in mind. I do enjoy my buttermilk with cornbread...like you enjoy your's with that black salt, LOL!!

Take care,

Cyndiben
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-23 1:39 PM (#19876 - in reply to #19750)

Hey Cindyben:
I am a pure Indian blood. I shall always enjoy tea. I never take herbal tea. I like only caffeinated tea, called Chai. with sugar and milk, and if possible, ginger, etc. And, you are more lucky than me to have the mountans to watch, when I watch the parking lot of my apartment.

And, I do not like black salt in large quantity, only a pinch of it. I enjoy butter milk only on hot days.

So, we have lot in common. After all that is expected between Bro and Sis.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-23 8:59 PM (#19900 - in reply to #19750)

I start watching what I eat the day before I take a class.

(How's THAT for paranoid?)
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-23 10:06 PM (#19908 - in reply to #19876)

Expert Yogi

Ah yes Neelbhai,

I understand you more than you will ever know... Okay, since you are 100% pure Indian blood and I'm only 1/2 by past life, please tell me how to get a mango tree to grow so that I can grow me some mangoes??? Do you think mangoes would like to grow in my mountains?? Tonight we ate fresh mangoes - the first of the season. You have not lived until you eat a fresh, ripe mango - Indian style

I came back to edit this to ask what in the heck is the deal with that Banana Avatar??? ROFLOL, I first I thought it was sponge bob in the form of a banana

Edited by Cyndi 2005-03-23 10:08 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-23 10:10 PM (#19909 - in reply to #19750)

Cyndiben:
I do not know how to grow a mango tree, but I know why it is called 'mango'. This is because:

when you see it, it says, "man go for it".

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-23 11:39 PM (#19922 - in reply to #19909)

Expert Yogi

You don't want Cyndiben near your mango tree....she will take each ripe mango, squeeze it really good all over, then strip each peel layer by layer, eating the flesh until nothing left but a thin skin, then she will take the inner flesh mango and devour it until all that is left is a smooth rock. Then she will grab another, and another.
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-24 8:52 AM (#19933 - in reply to #19908)

That would be the Dancing Banana.

Here's his little dance: http://www.chrisruzin.net/images/uploads/banana.gif
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-24 3:13 PM (#19974 - in reply to #19900)

Kabu - 2005-03-24 2:59 AM

I start watching what I eat the day before I take a class.

(How's THAT for paranoid?)

That kind of paranoia would kill me since I have classes almost every day. Staaaaarv........

I'm good and bloated right now cause I skipped most classes this week.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-26 3:04 PM (#20123 - in reply to #19750)

I'm allergic to dairy (so no buttermilk for me!) and cannot digest beef or pork or eggs. The key for a fart-free class, for me, is to eat very easy to digest foods and to quit eating about three hours before class. I usually have very overcooked chicken soup for lunch on yoga days, with spelt bread (also allergic to wheat in large amounts). I supplement my foods with enzymes. Even with all my food allergies, I am pretty gas-less, but when somebody breaks wind in class, I just pray it's not smelly and accept it as a part of class. I try not to laugh, but sometimes if I feel my own stomach rumble and I'm thinking, "Oh no, don't fart, don't fart, don't fart..." And then somebody else farts, it's hard not to laugh because it surprises me so much. I'm sure that if you ever fart, you are surrounded by half a dozen peopel who are trying very hard not to fart, so don't be too shaken up.

Jeri
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)