YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does mood affect your practise
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-24 10:04 PM (#20000 - in reply to #19784)
Subject: RE: Does mood affect your practise

Don't worry - I keep them in separate folders   LOL  My mouse is tough - not only does he lift weights, but he does power yoga also - a nice, well-rounded mouse! ;)

I still can't figure out why it wouldn't let me put my old pic back tho...

Puzzled,

Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-27 8:20 AM (#20169 - in reply to #19784)
Subject: RE: Does mood affect your practise

Every day (well, 5 out of 7), my bad back needs the stretching and my hamstrings need to be gently challenged, no matter how my mind kicks up a fuss about practice.

I leanred in martial arts that developing a proper mindset is just as much a part of the training as developing better breathing or deeper stances. So just like there are days when the hamstrings won't go far, there are days when the mind just doesn't want to focus. But, unless the mind is so far out of it that there's a danger of injury through carelessness, I think it's better to attempt practice and try to ride out the distracted mind. The benefit from yoga is one that accrues over time.

My own greatest struggle is with boredom. The quiet and low key atmosphere of yoga class, in spite of its great benefits for my back, is often unappealing to me. I find that I just have to turn my mind off about going to class, but once I get there, it's easier than I would have expected otherwise to get calm and stay focused on what we are doing. But if we could just incorporate some kicking and punching into yoga, I would be so happy!

Jeri
tourist
Posted 2005-03-27 10:15 AM (#20178 - in reply to #20169)
Subject: RE: Does mood affect your prac

Expert Yogi

Jeri - maybe you just need a teacher with more energy. Although I doubt most would have the zip and zing of a martial arts class, some are not so low key. Of course there is always the good old yogic argument that if you are feeling resistance to something, you probably need to work even more with it to get balance in your self...
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-27 1:29 PM (#20208 - in reply to #20178)

Thank you, tourist! I would definitely benefit from learning to be calmer and more low key. Now that you mention it, my favorite teacher on our yoga school's staff is also the peppiest and the one who turns each posture into a challenge. Another person in my class has also noted that my boredom is something I may outgrow as I come more into a yoga-practice mindset. Practice, practice, practice....
tourist
Posted 2005-03-27 1:43 PM (#20211 - in reply to #20208)

Expert Yogi

We do get attached to our habits. Me, I'm a slug, so I should probably be working with a rah-rah super aerobic teacher. In fact, my first teacher is quite a lot like that. I have never figured out quite why I kept going to class when it was so against my nature. Obviously, I knew on some level I needed a kick in the pants!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)