YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga wrists
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2005-06-05 4:07 PM (#25109 - in reply to #25102)
Subject: RE: yoga wrists

Expert Yogi

Good advice for ashatangis, Yoga Guy, but we do a LOT of down dog before we get to chaturanga or up dog in Iyengar yoga. Most people with tight shoulders find it almost impossible to get any weight onto their legs. I speak from experience and compared to MANY of my beginning students I have shoulders like Gumby. Working with the hands at the wall gets into the shoulders and working from the ropes helps relieve the weight from the arms and wrists so the student gets a chance to work the pose without strain.

And you are so right about the transitions! I was teaching down dog to plank to chaturanga to Level II students last week and the basic mechanics of it needs a ton of work. I cringe to think of people doing it in flow practices without good alignment
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-12 1:31 AM (#25444 - in reply to #25109)

Expert Yogi

Ever notice the differences among schools in the transition from Down Dog to
Up Dog? Dharma Mittra has a way of doing it that scoops the nose and chest
down to the floor and then into an arc to Up Dog.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-12 8:06 AM (#25452 - in reply to #25109)

Good point, tourist. However, I still stand by the fact that for many people taking weight into their fingertips in down dog is a baffling concept because the weight simply isn't on the hands. If these people are already struggling with downdog, then they probably do not have the body awareness to balance the pressure in their hands.

I still recommend getting them into plank pose or cat/cow so that that there is weight on their hands and the shoulders are over there wrists. Then they can start to feel where the weight is and where it should be. I'm still baffled by why chattaranga and plank are level II poses.

I like the idea of using all the props to work the poses without strain, however, I'm of the mind that if you want to learn how to support your weight properly, you have to support your weight....properly. Of course it should be done gradually to avoid injury. But I think there has to be the stimuli.
tourist
Posted 2005-06-12 12:50 PM (#25472 - in reply to #25452)

Expert Yogi

Actually, I find the best way to learn the arm/hand/shoulder work in down dog is to use the wall ropes. That way you aren't so busy supporting your body weight it is easier to concentrate on getting the actions right.

Why is chaturanga a Level II pose? Good question! Plank, I find easy and a good way to learn the shoulder blade actions and an ideal transition to chaturanga. The best reason I can think of for doing chaturanga is to learn all the actions for backbends. But yikes - a hard way to learn!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-13 10:17 AM (#25512 - in reply to #25472)

tourist - 2005-06-12 12:50 PM

Actually, I find the best way to learn the arm/hand/shoulder work in down dog is to use the wall ropes. That way you aren't so busy supporting your body weight it is easier to concentrate on getting the actions right.

Why is chaturanga a Level II pose? Good question! Plank, I find easy and a good way to learn the shoulder blade actions and an ideal transition to chaturanga. The best reason I can think of for doing chaturanga is to learn all the actions for backbends. But yikes - a hard way to learn!

I'll defer to you on that because I don't ever play with the ropes...but I'm really eager too. Hopefully soon, I'll start checking out some Iyengar studios and get to play with that. Although my point was that in reality, people's "Perfect" alignment goes out the window as soon as you add weight. It's like practicing a piece of music alone in your apartment all the time and perfecting it, then when you play a concert, the mere fact of having the pressure of an audience totally changes all the "perfect" practing that you did. Although all that practice without pressure is good and necessary, IMHO you have to combine it with pressure, weight, and other stimuli to really get the feel of it.

Please explain more about chattaranga for backbends...and clarify if backbends are also level II poses. Curious.

tourist
Posted 2005-06-13 11:07 AM (#25525 - in reply to #25512)

Expert Yogi

Rope work is SOOOO fun! I hope you get a chance to do some soon And absolutely the real feel of the pose comes from doing the full pose. It is great to look at different aspects of poses in isolation but then you have to go back and put what you learned into context.

The question about chaturanga really got me thinking. My teachers would heartily approve! The actions learned are the working of the legs (calves toward heels, thighs to the ceiling), the lengthening of the lumbar (moving buttocks to heels without "jamming" the sacrum), stability of the torso (the bandhas), the lift of the sternum and the working of the shoulder blades to bring the dorsal spine in to the body. In Level II we do dwi pada viparita dandasana and urdhva dhanurasana (both from a chair), dhanurasana, salabhasana and up dog. Chaturanga builds strength in the key areas without actually getting into the back bend, which is where beginners tend to injure themselves. The "baby steps" toward those in Level I are down dog, vira I and prasarita paddottanasana.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-13 2:14 PM (#25549 - in reply to #20010)

Hmmmmm......

So much to think about.
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-06-13 4:58 PM (#25559 - in reply to #25444)

Bay Guy - 2005-06-12 1:31 AM

Ever notice the differences among schools in the transition from Down Dog to
Up Dog? Dharma Mittra has a way of doing it that scoops the nose and chest
down to the floor and then into an arc to Up Dog.

BayGuy, this is Ashtangasana, Knees-chest-chin, catepillar, and Scoot-through. It's part of the Sivananda sun sals as well. Many teach this to beginners as a chaturanga alternative, but I happen to feel it crunches the lumbar, so I'd rather teach someone chaturanga on their knees with better shoulder/arm integration and head position. It also teaches people to "grasshopper leg" their arms, which is a tough habit to get out of in chaturanga, particularly when upper body strength is lacking.

When someone has a strong(er) practice, this is an interesting way to updog, because with the elbows bent, you can really arch the upper back. Try it. In your regular updog, take a second and bend the elbows. Draw yourself forward by pulling your hands isometrically backwards against the floor. Arch your upper back and then straighten your arms, shoulders down and back away from the ears. Even for someone with as tight an upper back as I have, it feels pretty good and is far deeper than I can just lift myself into. Go figure, huh?

C.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-13 10:04 PM (#25580 - in reply to #25559)

Expert Yogi

Thanks, Christine.

It's interesting that my Iyengar teacher told us NOT to do the transition this way,
and with your discussion of it, I can see why. I think it's kind of a beautiful approach
to the pose (updog) which can help to pull the depth into the curve of the upper back.
I love arm work...

I guess that one issue for this transition, however you are doing it, is shoulders and
shoulder blades. The latter flat on the back and the former not scrunched up around the
ears or flexed into the chest.

In Ashtanga Surya Namaskara, this transition doesn't appear, since Down Dog is always
(?almost always) followed by jumping forward to Uttanasana. I'm probably too tired to think
of the vinyasas that include this transition....time for me to do pranayama....
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-13 10:55 PM (#25583 - in reply to #25580)

Bay Guy - 2005-06-13 10:04 PM

In Ashtanga Surya Namaskara, this transition doesn't appear, since Down Dog is always
(?almost always) followed by jumping forward to Uttanasana. I'm probably too tired to think
of the vinyasas that include this transition....time for me to do pranayama....

I think what BG is referring to is known is some circles as a hindu pushup or a divebomber pushup. You go from down dog to updog by bending the elbows and pulling your head down almost to the floor and then press forward to scoop the heart up and let the hips lower. Usually done with wider legs than a "good" down dog. But I've seen tons of variations of this.

This is the only pic I can find right now. http://www.trainforstrength.com/ex-1.shtml

You can see how that can be "yogafied."

tourist
Posted 2005-06-14 12:01 AM (#25589 - in reply to #25583)

Expert Yogi

Picture #2 shows how to crunch the lumbar - ouch!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-14 12:10 PM (#25636 - in reply to #20010)

http://www.athletics.ucr.edu/strengthconditioning/hindupushups.htm

found a little video of hindu pushups...fyi
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 10:58 PM (#25690 - in reply to #25583)

Expert Yogi

Yeah, that's it. Except not with the legs a metre apart like the guy in the photo!

And don't let the lumbar collapse that way, as Glenda says. Take some arch to the upper back
and roll the pelvis too.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-16 10:25 AM (#25816 - in reply to #20010)

BTW,

My guess is they are called Hindu Pushups because they are a *******ization of a vinyasa. I also think squat thrusts a/k/a burpees are a *******ization of sun salutations.

/just guessing.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-16 9:37 PM (#25846 - in reply to #25816)

Expert Yogi

I certainly agree with you about squat thrusts, although it's easy to see the
similarity to Surya Namaskara. They are sort like Surya Namaskara after all the
yoga is removed.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread