YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Setting Intentions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-03-25 8:09 PM (#20056)
Subject: Setting Intentions

I'm interested - if it's not too personal a question - on how everyone sets their intentions for their practice. I have one teacher who suggests that we set our personal intentions and then gives us a "topic" to "ponder" (my words). for instance, the other night we were to concentrate our practice on every time we had ever "stettled" in life.for me, I set my intention by simply repeating to myself what I want from my yoga practice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-25 8:28 PM (#20058 - in reply to #20056)
Subject: RE: Setting Intentions

Whoah, that's very philosophical. Too rich for me
My personal intention is to first and foremost survive the class. And the teacher gives us the intention to "see you again next time!" No, honest my intention is very straightforward, to just give it my best shot and achieve the benefit of the practice in the long run.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-25 8:29 PM (#20059 - in reply to #20056)

Expert Yogi

That's really interesting. How do you focus your mind and maintain the focus
while you practice?

It is kind of personal....I thank Siva for yoga when I start, as it is a gift beyond
all value for me, and I understand it to have come from Siva, who is within me
and all other beings. From there, I try to keep my mind clear of all the vrtti's
that bother me (and they are legion). If I am practicing into a particular kind
of pose or extension, I may try to direct my mind there.

I have had teachers start classes by either telling us to set an unspecified intention
or by defining something fairly specific that we'll be working toward. On my own,
the "intention" is to empty myself of distractions and to focus on the postures and
occasionally on a mantra (Om nama Sivaya).

As you note, it takes constant repetition and reminder to stay in the practice rather
than letting my mind go toward my various problems.

CGG
Posted 2005-03-25 9:20 PM (#20068 - in reply to #20056)

Good question!

I tend to set simple intentions, and use the same ones over and over again. Usually it related to my day, or something I've been working on in my practice. Somtimes I intend to just let go of my day, or to focus on the breath. Other times it will be something more technical like an intention to engage more muscular energy. When I'm feeling particularly worn out by life my intention is always just to be kind to myself.

I have one teacher who frequently suggests that we can dedicate our practice to someone in need as an intention. For some reason that rubs me the wrong way. I know that her heart is in the right place, but it always feels like fluff to me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)