YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

back injury
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

campesina
Posted 2005-03-26 8:17 PM (#20138)
Subject: back injury

I had a back injury almost a year ago (an intercostal vertebra moved) and went to therapy for about 9 months. The Dr. says I have to do preventive therapy every other month for the rest of my life even though I don't have an erniated disc He also recomends me yoga and I'm pretty sure Yoga will substitutes my Dr. Therapy 100%. Can I do Ashtanga?
Besides, I've seen lots of "business oriented instructors" and I hate them . How can I find my yoga temple without dealing with these money makers?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-26 9:01 PM (#20140 - in reply to #20138)
Subject: RE: back injury

NO, you must NOT do Ashtanga Yoga style Hathayoga in your condition. Let me know your location. And, please do not hate anyone, just avoid them.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-26 10:34 PM (#20154 - in reply to #20140)

Expert Yogi

Brother Neel, I agree that you should not hate someone, but is it in fact necessary to avoid
them? I could never go to work if I approached difficult people in that way. I just regard
them as an opportunity to work on my yoga.

BG
loli
Posted 2005-03-27 5:41 AM (#20164 - in reply to #20138)

I agree with BG. You should try not to hate anyone, just recognise them for what they are, don't let them 'touch' you (metaphorically speaking) I suppose Neel meant you should avoid anyone's (teacher) classes that you don't feel comfortable with.
And Neel is right, Ashtanga is not the right style of hatha yoga for you. Try Iyengar or Desikachar's (used to be called Viniyoga.not sure what they call it now!!!!!....)
campesina
Posted 2005-03-27 3:56 PM (#20232 - in reply to #20138)

Thanks for the support!!!

Literally I don't hate anybody, I just feel frustated when I find "yoga instructors" who offer less quality just because of business.

The injury in my back is something in bet. the 7th and the 9th vertebra. I got it in a friend house where one of the kids started playing with water, I bended too fast to my left trying to hide from him and my spine wasn't prepare for it. I went to therapy 3 times a week for about 4 months and when I was almost done, someone hited the car I was driving from behind: Nothing happen to both cars except for my back: I went back to the beginning, going to therapy 3 times a week from Sept. to January. I still need to do therapy once every other month, I need to do some yoga and I'm pretty sure yoga will substitutes my therapies 100%.

I used to be pretty active and I stoped last may because of my back, just waiting to get better and hit the track again I consider doing Ashtanga because Dr. knows I used to run bet 3 and 9 miles a week and biciclyn about 200 miles a week and he says I can go back and do the sports I like including runnig. Maybe I'm prepare to do high impact or maybe I'm not. Maybe he just want me to keep visiting his office $$$ for the rest of my life.

I live in DC and thinking to enrroll myself at the Ashtanga Yoga Center in Wisconsin Ave. DC. What shoul I do?

campesina
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-27 11:50 PM (#20263 - in reply to #20138)

Dear BG:
I must correct my statement as follows: If one can ONLY associate with someone with hatred in mind, they shoud avoid them. If they can associate with them, with Love, or with any other purpose in mind such as using this association as Yoga practice, that is wonderful.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-27 11:53 PM (#20264 - in reply to #20138)

Dear friend:
What you used to do in the past is not important. When you used to do these, your back also was NOT injured. Now, you want the back to be back (to normalcy!!!). And, Ashtanga Style exercise would prevent that from happening. If you want a proof of this, do the Ashtanga Style practice for 1 month and write to us.

Ashtanga Style exercise demands certain background without any question.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
loli
Posted 2005-03-28 3:11 AM (#20270 - in reply to #20138)

Hi Campesina,
Neel is right, you shouldn't go for ashtanga style hatha....it is too vigorous and can be jarring for the back if you are not an adept. Too many 'jump throughs' will not be good for you with a back problem and if you are not already familiar with correct alignment in postures, you can do yourself more damage from practicing and not being in the right alignment for the posture. Personally I love Ashtanga Vinyasa style Hatha, but I have heard it recommended that beginner do at least a year of Iyengar influenced hatha first... and I agree with that advice. With a back problem, it may be best to stick to Iyengar for longer than a year! (Doesn't have to be strictly 'Iyengar' but they should take time to teach each posture/alignment etc correctly) I wouldn''t recommend going jogging though either!!! Swimming will surely be safer for your back? Find yourself a good Iyengar influenced teacher and talk to them about your back problem....they will help you to help yourself..
Namaste
Laura
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-28 9:47 AM (#20287 - in reply to #20138)

Oops. Campesina:
I never realized that you live in DC area. I teach in Fairfax, Vienna, and sometimes in Arlington. Let me know if you can make these loctions.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
campesina
Posted 2005-03-29 5:46 PM (#20451 - in reply to #20287)

Neel:

I would like to contact you for the Arlington location!!!

Regards
Campesina
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)