YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga for golf....
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

willowyogamamma
Posted 2005-03-28 10:01 PM (#20365)
Subject: yoga for golf....

Your general thoughts are appreciated.

namaste!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-03-28 10:06 PM (#20370 - in reply to #20365)
Subject: RE: yoga for golf....

Expert Yogi

It's good.

OK - a bit more Golf is a one-sided sport and yoga promotes balance in the body. Golf requires strength with flexibility and co-ordination - yoga provides this. Golf requires focus, concentration and the ability to block out external stimuli - again a perfect match with yoga.

More specifically, I know a local player who benefitted immensely from practicing yoga.
MrD
Posted 2005-03-29 12:48 PM (#20436 - in reply to #20365)

I believe a saw a book at Barnes and Noble with that title.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-29 1:11 PM (#20440 - in reply to #20365)

I read that David Duval practices regularly. It is awesome for balance, flexibility, and especially for improving range of motion. And of course, mental focus!

BE THE BALL!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-29 1:28 PM (#20441 - in reply to #20365)

I believe there were a few references to pro golfers in "Real Men Do Yoga."

One of the key components in a long drive is being able to generate a strong force on the ball. Force is a function of distance over time. By increasing the Range of Motion (ROM) you effectively increase the distance the club travels. Therefore you are able to increase the distance variable. Also learning to relax the muscles and connect the different muscle groups is helped by imprinting greater neuroendocrine stimuli on the body through coordinated functional movements, like those found in yoga. Therefore, you move more relaxed and efficiently, i.e. faster. Thus decreasing the speed variable.

Greater distance over faster speed equals greater force which translates into longer drives.

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-03-29 1:30 PM
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-30 9:09 PM (#20633 - in reply to #20365)

for all you CNN viewers...there is a program called "living golf"- i hope that is right!

this week's episode is on YOGA! CNNj is on a different time schedule (it is on monday here - so i think that it will air on sunday in the states...but you can always check their website)
willowyogamamma
Posted 2005-03-31 3:43 PM (#20750 - in reply to #20365)

The reason why I was asking is I have been asked to conduct a class for golfers at a local gym. (Which I have begun, and the students are great)The facilitator of the program is a local golf pro who is under the impression he and his partner originated the idea. Truth be told, people have been coorelating golf with sports for years now as we all know. What's interesting was the shock when I shared with him my findings on the net, and with other sources of just how many people practice yoga to improve their game in lots of games. It just always suprises me when speaking with people how little they know about what a huge community yogi's have with one another and how we're sharing our love of the practice in many forms. I'm still undecided on my view of teaching outside of tradition, but everyone starts somewhere, right?

Be well, and thank you for your input.

tourist
Posted 2005-03-31 7:44 PM (#20778 - in reply to #20750)

Expert Yogi

How are you teaching out of tradition? Maybe I should ask what tradition you teach from
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)