YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Christian spiritual practices
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

sivaram
Posted 2005-03-29 9:49 PM (#20493)
Subject: Christian spiritual practices

I want to spin this topic in a different direction, so starting fresh with a new thread...

Swami Sivanada:
Plunge yourself in concentration. Merge the mind in the one idea of God and God alone. Let the mind fully get absorbed there.

Among the Christians who see little conflict with yoga - in the sense of union with God - and their faith in Jesus as personal saviour (Guru), would you consider the above to be a valid form of practice?

That's perhaps too easy a question, and rather than just looking for agreement, I wonder if you can point to sources, because I am too busy, or too lazy to look it up for myself

And furthermore, can you describe other forms of meditation or spiritual practices prescribed in Christianity, which may or may not correspond with yogic practices?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-29 10:11 PM (#20496 - in reply to #20493)
Subject: RE: Christian spiritual practices

Expert Yogi

On this, I can't help you much, other than to make the obvious comparison
between prayer and meditation.

Maybe if someone could give a careful explanation of what "prayer" means?

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-29 11:11 PM (#20504 - in reply to #20493)
Subject: RE: Christian spiritual practi

Prayer = Pr +ayer Pr = Done with intention, strength, want, wish, request etc. done with special action, not just ordinary, done very sincerely.

Sansrit: Prayer = Prarthanaa - Pr = same as above, artha = meaning, wish, request, intention, etc. naa = feminine action.

Prarthanaa and Prayer are identical, and are requests made to a higher being with intention, want, wish, promises, praises, etc.

Other examples: Practice = Pr + action = special, intended activity. Sanskrit = Prakriyaa

promise (pratidnyaa in Sanskrit), progress (pragati in Sanskrit), prostrate (pranaam in Sanskrit).

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
elson
Posted 2005-03-31 1:37 AM (#20657 - in reply to #20493)

oops, I started another thread, too. Sorry. Anyway,

In Xtniaty, prayer is talking to God, nothing more and nothing less. While chatting, one might ask for something, or express worship, or a host of other things, but basically, to the Xtn, prayer is just talking to God. As I am doing while I type.

Christians do not typically think of Jesus in terms of being our guru, because it is quite a demotion for Him :-). Jesus is my God, He who created all that is seen. It seems difficult to me to describe God to someone who believes that all that now exists is somehow a part of the infinite that is seeking to reunite with the rest of itself, so let me know if I am making any sense here :-).

Let me try it this way. Jesus is, was, and always will be. I, on the other hand, am a creature, something that God made. The gulf between what I am and what God is, is vast and can not be crossed.

As for proper spiritual practices, let's look at Sivanada's words from a Xtn perspective

>> Plunge yourself in concentration. Merge the mind in the one idea of God and God alone. Let the mind fully get absorbed there.
This is important to Xtns, to daily immerse oneself in the knowledge of the goodness, love, power, mercy, and glory of God. This relfection automatically brings forth worship and adoration in the Xtn, because, basically, considering the beauty of God just does that to us :-).

Now, we can't merge minds with anyone, including God, but if he means to try to concentrate fully on God for a time, then yes, this is a great spiritual practice.

I ought to mention that Xtniaty isn't about performing spiritual practices, or keeping commands, or performing rituals - it is about loving God and loving one another. The spiritual practices that we do have are tools to help us draw near to God. The laws that we have are tools to help us love one another. And the rituals that we have are designed to remind us of who God is, who we are, and what that relationship demands and allows.

But here we get into an inhouse debate among Xtns. Some denominations have monastic orders that have as much ritual and such as Tibetan monasteries. And some denominations have very little. My denomination fasts briefly twice a year.

But the bottom line is that Xtniaty isn't about doing - it is about loving.

I realise that isn't exactly what was asked, but I thought the questions were best answered by being restated :-).

Cheers................Dale
Bodhisattva
Posted 2005-04-12 5:24 PM (#21749 - in reply to #20493)

Christian yoga 101

Let the God occupy your bodily temple, then love his/her/it's presence from the altar of your heart and Holy Spirit will transform and purify you from inside out. It's that simple. I can also give you more specific meditation instructions, if someone is interested.

Heart's love, Bodhisattva
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)