YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the im new here post?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

sideshow
Posted 2005-03-30 3:05 PM (#20581)
Subject: the im new here post?

Yeah so, obviously im new around here..bah whatever, Im not however new to the whole forum thing ( is anyone really NEW to it anymore ? ).

I figured I should share a bit about me..

Im 24, male, grey eyes, im a gemini and i enjoy walks on the beach under a full moon, picnics under weeping willow trees during thunderstorms, my ideal woman is....wait a minute, you mean this isnt eharmony.com?

I digress...

Okay so here is the deal..
I probably have been practicing yoga for about a month now from online resources, I have taken ONE class and will probably end up going back at least once a week if my schedule will allow it.

I have already worked out my own set of routines for my selfpractice which to me is no big deal since I have learned how to [newschool]YoYo, ContactJuggle, and do some likwid/raver type dance moves from the internet, so learning from the web is old hat for me.

What brought me to start doing yoga is actually a reccomendation from my chiropractor of all people - who told me it will do everything he does as far as adjustment of the spine goes but better. Why have i gone to a chiropractor? well I have suffered from a couple of ailments in my left shoulderblade and left side of my neck area.

As it was explained to me (as close to readers digest version as i can get ), I ended up getting some pretty bad muscle knots around and under my shoulder blade (from yoyoing for 5 years like 4 hours a day), which during my bodies "healing process" of said muscles some of my vertabrae were put out of place ( or maybe from my vertabrae being out of place my muscles knotted up ) So there was some compensation issues between these muscles and the vertabrae, like the more the muscles tried to relax the more it pulled on my vertabrae which in turn caused them ( the muscles ) to tighten and further push my vertabra outa wack. I actually started to get headaches up the back of my neck and tingling in my arm from the muscles pinching nerves that run up along that path.

Anyway, it seems like the chiropractor and massage therapy along with yoga ( which i try to do a sun salutation at least every day ) has helped although im still feeling these "twinges" in my neck that seem to affect my sinuse cavity and my ear from time to time.

SO i guess thats it, I really havent found much that can take that twinge out of my neck so i dont feel like i constantly have to pop my neck, when i roll my head i feel something "slip" lower on my spine. Any suggestions?

I hope to pick up some good info and it seems like this is a good place to do it, hopefully we can learn alot from each other.

-Sideshow

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-03-30 6:41 PM (#20597 - in reply to #20581)
Subject: RE: the im new here post?

Expert Yogi

Welcome Sideshow. I'd say juggling is much more yoga-friendly than yo-yoing since it, by definition, is about balance. What kind of a class did you attend? Will you go back to the same teacher or are you shopping around?
sideshow
Posted 2005-03-30 7:41 PM (#20606 - in reply to #20581)

Its actually "Contact Juggling" or "Dynamic Manipulation" glamourized by what David Bowie appeared to be doing with crystal balls in the movie Labryinth and created by Michael Moschen ( check out www.contactjuggling.org for more info and videos and such. ). It is a very meditative performing art once you get past the insanely maddening hours of practice, it relies heavily on very fine muscle control/memory in order to make the ball appear to float along the body.

As far as yoga around here goes, my choices are either find a yoga club ( or start one! ) join a health club and pay a huge amount of money per month just to do yoga, or go to the only Yoga Studio ( that i currently know of ) around here called "Yoga Etc." Its located here in Sioux City, Iowa, and now that you know wehre im from...you probably know why my options are limited. The studio runs 50bux a month for 2 weekly classes and you can drop in for 10.00 a class. She seems to teach hatha yoga, but since im fairly new to all the styles and what have you Im also tending to guess that she may incorporate a bit of everything.

Anything else you need to know?
tourist
Posted 2005-03-31 12:05 AM (#20649 - in reply to #20606)

Expert Yogi

Oh, I apologize for not reading more carefully Contact juggling is VERY cool and also would require balance and lots of fine motor control. Your tight side would really restrict you if you were trying to do symetrical routines, I bet. So yoga would be perfect. Too bad you don't have more choices for classes!
twisti
Posted 2005-03-31 12:09 AM (#20651 - in reply to #20581)

Welcome aboard sideshow... be careful once you do Yoga you may never go back
tourist
Posted 2005-03-31 9:54 AM (#20686 - in reply to #20651)

Expert Yogi

BTW, after I posted last night I realized that contact juggling is probably a spin-off on all the fancy tricks people have done with baseballs, basketballs, golf balls etc. for a long time. I can remember my dad rolling a basketball up one arm, behind his head and down the other arm. Neat to put it all together and basically make an art form of it. The photos on the site you gave looked fascinating.
sideshow
Posted 2005-03-31 10:38 PM (#20801 - in reply to #20581)

thanks, there is a video section on that site, i think its in the forums. I am going to the yoga studio tomorrow morning if all goes well.

the contact juggling history is pretty interesting, the idea has been around for a while, apparently practitioners of tai chi use some type of ball manipulation ( or have used it ) to symbolize someones head. You must realize that it is alot more complicated to roll a 3inch acrylic ball that weighs about a pound up and down your arm or on other parts of your body, versus a basketball that is lighter and bigger.

Ive actually been having some irritation in my neck area, im starting to wonder if i have a compressed disc or a seriously bad pinched nerve since my left ear seems to feel irritated when my neck has that "twinge" to it. hahha..i actually just tried popping my neck, and on the second time there was a pretty deep "pop" and now it seems to feel a bit better....miracles never cease eh?

Twisti, I do enjoy what yoga i have been doing so far. It was between tai chi and yoga, its kinda funny cuz i bought a tai chi dvd, and have watched it about 4 times and have really only used internet references for yoga, which im doing more of. Hopefully ill stick with yoga for a while, but due to my gemini traits I end up getting into something for a while and shifting into some other hobby - yoga seems to help calm my mind though so maybe i can stick with it and use it to focus on other aspects of my life.

That was about pointless..heh..oh well..sorry about my long winded posts, but sometimes my fingers type faster than i think.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-01 10:04 AM (#20847 - in reply to #20801)

Expert Yogi

Well if you are a Gemini, you really do need to get the two sides of your body in balance! You don't want one of your personalities to take over like a bad science fiction movie I have twin aunts who are Geminis - one of those nice little synchronicities in life
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)