YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forgive my dopey question...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Kabu
Posted 2005-03-30 7:37 PM (#20605)
Subject: Forgive my dopey question...

but you guys are the only ones I can ask.

Does anyone wear their Yoga pants minus underwear?

*pauses to allow for laughter*

Okay, seriously. When I work out or practice at home, no undies are involved. I *do* wear them to class basically because I don't want to offend anyone. I don't know WHY that would offend someone or even if a person can look and me and tell I'm minus the underwear, but I'm modest about it anyway.

Why don't I like to wear them you ask? I just like not having to worry about them shifting or showing. I swear some other women are w/o/u, but there's no way I'm going to ask.

This concludes my Dippy Question of the Week. As long as there's an answer somewhere in this thread, feel free to openly mock me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-30 7:48 PM (#20607 - in reply to #20605)
Subject: RE: Forgive my dopey question...

This thread is useless without pics.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-30 7:51 PM (#20608 - in reply to #20605)

Seriously (well almost), do what you want. As long as your stuff ain't showing, it's cool. If you are distracting yourself, your teacher or other students, then put on some undies. Otherwise, be free.

One thing: fabric gets stretched thin when doing certain poses. You might want to get a trusted friend and perform some padangusthasanas for them and some other "exposing" poses and ask them if they can see anything that you don't want seen.

As a teacher, I am privy to lots of accidentally exposed flesh and it can get rather distracting (in both a good AND a bad way).

/please send pics.

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-03-30 7:55 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-30 8:00 PM (#20609 - in reply to #20605)
Subject: RE: Forgive my dopey question.

Dear Kabu:
If you are a male, you must NOT dangle your organ while doing Yoga Exercise.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
easternsun
Posted 2005-03-30 8:01 PM (#20610 - in reply to #20607)

YogaGuy - 2005-03-31 9:48 AM

This thread is useless without pics.

thanks for my morning laugh!

as someone who has split the crotch (can i say that?) of more than one pair of pants during yoga - i would never be able to go without at the studio -- at home it is a free for all
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-30 8:04 PM (#20613 - in reply to #20609)

kulkarnn - 2005-03-30 8:00 PM

Dear Kabu:
If you are a male, you must NOT dangle your organ while doing Yoga Exercise.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Can you please translate this into sanskrit for me? I would love to chant that in the beginning of class.

No dangulum organum yoga asanam... OM!
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-30 8:05 PM (#20614 - in reply to #20608)

Would you believe I've been wanting to ask this question for weeks now? I didn't want to ask when I first joined for fear you guys would think I was nuts.

Thank you for the advice. If I get the nerve to go commando, I shall test my clothes out ahead of time so I don't horrify anyone in class. Fortunately, I cover up pretty well compared to other ladies in the class. Nothing terrible should happen unless my drawstring breaks.

Oh Lord, I hadn't thought about THAT until now. Perhaps commando isn't such a great idea.

Heeey, I *could* wear lycra shorts under my Yoga pants. I used to do that under my school uniform. Hmm...
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-30 8:28 PM (#20623 - in reply to #20614)

Expert Yogi

Hey Kabu (Banana Sponge Bob),

No matter what gender you are....if you don't wear underwear, whatever you do, DON'T wear WHITE!! It shows everything!! What I hate is one time I wore light blue bike shorts to Bikram class. When I sweated, I looked like I peepeed in my shorts - YUK!! It bothered me all through class, when I got to floor postures I finally said Screw it, I don't care. But standing was a big challenge. So, needless to say, I DO NOT wear underwear, and I wear dark colors when I'm in public. At home, I wear my Bikini and my tits hang out and I don't care
LoraB
Posted 2005-03-30 9:36 PM (#20636 - in reply to #20605)

Wow. Thanks for the laughs, again.

I wish I had something clever to say - but alas, I'm laughing too hard.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-30 9:56 PM (#20637 - in reply to #20623)

Expert Yogi

Right...

First off, I am in totally agreement with Brother Neel about dangling organs.
Not comfortable and also distracting...

Second, I have seen quite a bit in yoga classes (mainly in Bikram classes, I might
add), and while I can't say that I wanted to see any of it, I'm a guy and it's simply
distracting to me to when someone wears short loose nylon running shorts WITH NOTHING
UNDER THEM and stands in Prasarita Padottonasana two feet in front of me. (Please
don't do around me, okay? Otherwise, I will have to tell my wife, and she will kill you.)

Third, apart from what I just wrote, I really don't care if I see the anatomical outline of
a human body, and I reallly reallly don't care whether a woman is wearing underwear
beneath her outerwear. Not even even if we occasionally are presented with the cleft
of a peach. BFD. After so many years of yoga, I've gotten to the point that don't really
notice this sort of thing when I'm in yoga class.

Fourth, someone said something like tight lycra shorts under regular gym shorts, and
that's a good way go. Nothing dangles or rides up your butt, and modesty is preserved.

Edited by Bay Guy 2005-03-30 9:59 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-30 11:07 PM (#20641 - in reply to #20605)

Yoga Guy You are close.

Can you please translate this into sanskrit for me? I would love to chant that in the beginning of class. No dangulum organum yoga asanam... OM!

===> vyaayaamasamaye nityaM shishnaM bandhayet.
(during the periods of exercise, always, keep the penis non-dangling).

OM shAn.tiH shA.ntiH shA.ntiH
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-03-30 11:54 PM (#20646 - in reply to #20641)

Expert Yogi

This is an awesome thread! Tooooo funny, but also a good question. Dave Scott of Ironman fame used to say he hated helmets, socks and underwear and with the mileage he put on riding a bike and running, I'm sure he knew what he was talking about. I actually saw an older woman (over 60 for sure) changing the other day and she definitely did not have undies on. That was a surprise. Most people I know do wear them, though. One memorable night I was partnered with a woman to do the hip pull adjustment in down dog. Even though her black thong matched her black tights, that fabric thinning effect of the stretch revealed waaaay more than I wanted to see! and don't even ask about the teeny boppers in their low slung yoga pants with lacy thongs.... Bad enough that I have to see all their tattoos but being able to read the tag on their underwear just puts me off. I'm not a prude, just in favour of keeping a little mystery to tantalize with at an appropriate moment.

Seriously Kabu (it was Kabu that asked, right?) I have discovered the BEST underwear for yoga. I think I can post this here because yoga.com doesn't sell undies, right? Go to www.staples.com (no, it is not an office warehouse store...) and check out their pure silk undies. They are thin, light and natural fibre so they breathe and don't show hardly at all under tights. I have invested in a slew of colours and now also have camisoles that tuck into my tights so when I do urdhva hastasana and my t-shirt goes up, I'm still covered up. My philosophy is that they are far too expensive for underwear but a great deal for a treat for myself. Plus they pay all the postage so you don't have shipping charges to deal with and they ship so fast it is unbelievable. I gave some to my MIL and she told me they are the best gift she has ever received - EVER! And there is nothing quite like walking around all day in "double martini olive" or "roxanne ruby red" undergarments to make a gal feel special and just a little sexier than usual OK - enough infomercial. I'll stop now.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-31 12:19 AM (#20653 - in reply to #20613)

Can you please translate this into sanskrit for me? I would love to chant that in the beginning of class. No dangulum organum yoga asanam... OM!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!     

Ahem... but back to the topic at hand - I practice at home commando, but if I were to go to a class I think I'd definitely wear undies.  Either a low-riding thong (that won't peek out the top of your pants but provides good coverage in other places...) or the "boy short" undies in cotton - they tend to stay put.

Good luck with that!

Namaste,

Echo

Posted 2005-03-31 6:59 AM (#20666 - in reply to #20653)

Love my hugger mugger unisex shorts--seems to do the trick with no underwear needed. During my first few months of Bikram, I experimented with many combinations--thought bike shorts would be perfect with a thong under until I discovered there's a fron and a back to those things.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-03-31 7:37 AM (#20671 - in reply to #20666)

The mind boggles Mind you, I do think in cartoon *gggg*

Bruce - 2005-03-31 11:59 AM

Love my hugger mugger unisex shorts--seems to do the trick with no underwear needed. During my first few months of Bikram, I experimented with many combinations--thought bike shorts would be perfect with a thong under until I discovered there's a fron and a back to those things.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-31 9:05 AM (#20678 - in reply to #20641)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2005-03-30 11:07 PM

===> vyaayaamasamaye nityaM shishnaM bandhayet.
(during the periods of exercise, always, keep the penis non-dangling).

OM shAn.tiH shA.ntiH shA.ntiH
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Do you suppose that this might make a good mantra for practice?
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-31 11:19 AM (#20697 - in reply to #20605)

I can't believe we got a new chant out of this.

Thank you for all the replies. All suggestions are noted and I'm officially cured of the desire to go commando in class. I cover up well ~ you pretty much just see my arms and ankles. I wear drawstring cotton Yoga pants, the most revealing being my capris. I think I'll be adding lycra shorts to the outfit so no one has to see my Hanes peeking out over the top (my pants tend to ride low).

Cyndi, I hadn't thought about dark vs light colors. You brought up a good point.

Tourist, women wear thongs to class?! I'll wear one now and then, but that's only if I'm going out somewhere special and the pants I'm wearing are susceptible to Visible Panty Lines. I just can't imagine thongs being comfortable in practice. (Echo, how does that work out?)

I'll check out the undies you mentioned too.

The idea of dangling organs never occurred to me, probably because I am without such an organ. I have no doubt though this conversation will creep up on me in class at a most inopportune moment.

Edited by Kabu 2005-03-31 11:25 AM
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 11:43 AM (#20700 - in reply to #20605)

what a hoot!

here's my take on it:

women: close fitting spandex shorts or leggings can be worn with out panties if they are thick enough. bending over backwards to a mirror will let you know how exposed you are. really a thong is cooler and looks better- but they do *crawl*. a definite no-no is loose fitting shorts with or with out undies. standing bow exposes everything and it is impossible to expect the poor guys behind not to be embarrassed or at least distracted. (simply said: a crotch shot is a crotch shot even if you are wearing panties)

Men: same thing with the spandex shorts: these offer the best coverage in all postures.
If you wear running shorts: undies- spandex shorts underneath or a thong goes a long way to keep you covered. (sweat makes lighter fabrics transparent- those little white nylon "built -in panties" inside running shorts are barely helpful once they are as soaked as the shorts themselves- so darker running shorts with darker colored "built-ins" would be better.

It is my opinion no one should wear white spandex in sweat producing classes.
Too embarrassing for everyone in the room.

It's important to keep these things in mind when you are getting dressed for class.
As a teacher I too am privy to all sorts of views of the human anatomy- and I gotta tell you, if a student is too exposed, I wont look. And if I am not looking at you, I cant help you.

Peace.
Dee

P.S. how can I get a wav file of the no-dangle mantra?
that's hilarious. Neel, how refreshing! humor along with all that yoga wisdom!

Edited by miss dee 2005-03-31 11:57 AM
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-03-31 11:48 AM (#20702 - in reply to #20605)

Well, in all seriousness (giggle, snort! ) ...ahem, sorry!  Really I find thongs quite comfortable, and they tend not to move around much - plus you can't really get a wedgie, can you?

Glad I practice at home today,

Echo

Kabu
Posted 2005-03-31 11:52 AM (#20703 - in reply to #20702)

Empress Echo - 2005-03-31 11:48 AM

- plus you can't really get a wedgie, can you?

You do have a point there.
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-31 11:56 AM (#20705 - in reply to #20605)

NO WEDGIE???

They should be named Wedgie Pants.
Thongs are the ultimate wedgie.

confused.
dee

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-03-31 12:00 PM (#20707 - in reply to #20623)

Cyndi - 2005-03-30 8:28 PM
At home, I wear my Bikini and my tits hang out and I don't care

I repeat:

This thread is useless without pics!

The best bet is to go to http://www.cameltoe.org Full of fashion faux pas

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-03-31 12:02 PM
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-31 12:03 PM (#20709 - in reply to #20700)

That settles it. Spandex shorts under my drawstring pants. No crotch shots, no exposing gaps...got it.

Thanks Dee!

While I figured most teachers are pretty comfy with basic human anatomy, I just don't want to offend anyone or make anyone feel uncomfortable. Plus, I'm very modest. I'd die if I looked down and saw a perfect outline of my crotch through a thin layer of cotton. Heck, I don't even show my midsection.

Partnering is also something I didn't think of until reading these replies. I definitely don't want a classmate or teacher feeling funny (or feeling ANYTHING... ...HA) in a hands-on adjustment.

I'm glad I finally got up the nerve to ask my goofy question. You all saved me a few embarrassing moments.
Kabu
Posted 2005-03-31 12:14 PM (#20713 - in reply to #20707)

Cameltoe is hilarious! The commentary kills me.

tigrsunam
Posted 2005-03-31 12:34 PM (#20721 - in reply to #20605)

I definetly always wear undies under my pants. I get really sweaty really easily and the extra barrier makes me more comfortable overall. It takes a little longer before I get that "peed in my pants" look. I do have one pair of pants that my thong sticks out the back from time to time, but I only wear them when I have too...and with a longer shirt.

Thongs are alot more comfortable then you'd think. I've gotten so used to them that undies "with butts" feel a bit odd. I am liking the boy shorts, but haven't practiced in them. I have a feeling that that would be too much thickness...causing me to sweat even more than I do.

Oh...and guys definelty must wear something snug under their shorts!! I have gotten stuck in classbehind big sweaty guys in the those shorts with the "built-in" and catching glimpses I did not want to see!

I'm glad that this topic is being discussed!!! Much easier discussing it in this setting than polling my yoga classmates!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)