YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Likely a dumb question, but...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-01 4:59 PM (#20877)
Subject: Likely a dumb question, but...

Is there such a thing as too much yoga? 

I have to assume so, as there certainly is such a thing as too much exercise.  Here's my situation:  I've been working out at home (and yes, I'd love a teacher, but I'm mighty poor and lucky just to have what I have...)  Anyway, I've basically worked out for about an hour a day, 5-7 days a week, for the last year.  I alternated aerobics tapes with Wai Lana yoga tapes with a heavy emphasis on aerobics.  I enjoy exercise and had to basically force myself to NOT exercise, usually on weekends.

So then at the beginning of this year I got a new yoga dvd - "Power Yoga For Every Body" with Barbara Benaugh, and now not only has the emphasis switched from aerobics to yoga, but I'm also exercising 50 - 140 minutes per day (usually 3 workouts) - every day (Averaging 500 minutes or 8 hours per week).  I just checked my little log book, and I haven't missed a day since February 12th.

So the last 2 or 3 days I'm starting to ache all over... it could be that I've just got some kind of virus - it almost feels like that - but I've got a sneaking feeling I'm overdoing it.  I feel stupid even asking this, but I have a history of bulimia and it is hard for me to judge sometimes how much is appropriate and how much is just going way overboard.

I don't know if I should give it a day or two of rest, or keep going & work through the pain?  I think just about every joint is trying to kill me, particularly elbows, shoulders, hips & knees... I also have stomach upset, but again, that could be something else.

So if you've read this pathetic diatribe as far as this, and might advise me, I'd appreciate it!

Thank you much!
Aching Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
audreyh1
Posted 2005-04-01 5:03 PM (#20878 - in reply to #20877)
Subject: RE: Likely a dumb question, but...

Over-exercising is easily remedied by taking 1 day off a week. Eric Schiffer in his yoga book recommends taking a 7th day of rest from yoga every week.

Audrey
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-01 6:00 PM (#20881 - in reply to #20877)

Of course you can practice too much. Listen to your body. It's a balance. Always a balance. You can't make true progress unless you are willing to practice religiously and ignore the voice in your head that tells you to hit the snooze bar. However, knowing when that voice is generate by your lazy alter ego and when it is the voice of a body in pain is the real test. If your body is telling you that you shouldn't practice, it will come in the form of colds, viruses, injuries. If it's your lazy alter ego it will look more like beer, ice cream, sleep and sound like, "I'm just too busy" "I am just too tired" bla bla bla. Sounds like you need a break.

That's cool. Come back refreshed of body and mind. You will be better off for it.
CGG
Posted 2005-04-01 6:04 PM (#20882 - in reply to #20877)

It is possible to exercise to much, and I think the pain you're feeling is an indication that it's time for a break. Pain isn't a good thing.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-01 6:34 PM (#20884 - in reply to #20877)
Subject: RE: Likely a dumb question, bu

Expert Yogi

One day off a week is a really good idea. Right now I think you should take three days off - a week would be better. Do you have any restorative sequences on your videos? You could start back with those after some time off so you feel like you are doing something. Good for you for recognizing warning signals. MANY experienced athletes have tried to push through the fatigue and ended up burned out.
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-01 6:56 PM (#20888 - in reply to #20877)

...even nitzche(sp?) has said "use moderation in moderation."

It sounds like you do need a break, but Im going to say something a bit different here:

Ease into your rest - dont just stop for like 3 days straight; the reason is because you possibly may have trained your body to expect this rigorous workout routine and if you just stop your body might scream even worse at you cuz it wont know what to do without having that "workout" time.

I am fairly new to yoga, but I think you may need to just really slow down your workout, maybe only doing the "warm up" bits off your divd, and then picking like 6-8 other stretches(asanas) to do, then sit in a lotus pose ( or corpse pose, or whatever ) and focus your attention on breathing.

Maybe the next day, do the small warm up and then say 6-8 stretches for some other part of the body ( like the first time you did alot of leg stretches and now this time you will work on your torso or arms ) maybe do this for about a week, then the next week drop it to 3-6 stretches, then just some light warm up and a short sun salutation variation to work on just one or 2 areas.

Now for my question: Is what im suggesting a bad idea? From the way echo is explaining things it seems like it may be a good way to get her body to adjust to some rest.

Edited by sideshow 2005-04-01 6:58 PM
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-01 8:19 PM (#20895 - in reply to #20884)

tourist -  One day off a week is a really good idea. Right now I think you should take three days off - a week would be better.

WHAT?!?!A WEEK...!

GASP... CHOKE!... TWITCH!!!! 

LOL  You're probably right, much as I hate to admit it.  I was secretly hoping everybody would come on and give me the "push through the pain, Echo!" pep talk, but I've been trying that & failing.  (I'm a former dancer, and trust me, I can take a lot of pain... but this feels like my skeleton is plotting a coup against me...)  I guess I can live with a couple of days of rest rather than an injury that would force me to rest a lot longer, right?

I DID try to just cut back.  For example, Monday I did 90 minutes, Tuesday 100 minutes, Wednesday 140 minutes, and then planned 80 minutes for yesterday, but just couldn't & wound up cutting it back to 50 min, mostly deep-tissue warm ups & stretches.  (BTW, usually on weekends I'll do just 40 or 50 minutes each day, building up until Wed. - again, mixing in aerobics as well - & then cutting back again, so that I'm not constantly doing the same amount.)  This morning just 20 minutes - warm up & sun salutations, and by noon I was so sore I wanted to bathe in novicane (sp?).  So... okay, I'll try at LEAST one day with nothing... ugh... it's worth a try tho, I must agree...

Thank you all for your input - Echo goes to couch now!

Namaste,

Echo

PS _ Do they make full-body ice-packs?

Edited by Empress Echo 2005-04-01 8:28 PM
akyogini
Posted 2005-04-01 8:39 PM (#20899 - in reply to #20877)

warming up and warming down are essential to every workout, i am sure as avid a workout-er as you are , you know that ... but sometimes the intensity of a workout overbalances out even a basic warm up and warm down. instead of going cold turkey ... maybe slow your wokout down. just do some basic or 'soft' exercises. Lengthening instead of strengthening. Have you ever had a yoga instructor?
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-01 9:52 PM (#20911 - in reply to #20895)

Expert Yogi

Hey Echo,

I just posted something or the other on the beginner forum about this.

First, your determination is admirable and you should not let go of it.

Second, and this is the hard part, advancing in yoga does require giving
your body time to regenerate after a week of hard practice and it does require
using enough self-discipline to avoid pushing yourself into injuries (which are
much more likely when your body is too tired to do your usual practice with
strength and focus).

One thing that can help a lot is to do different kinds of practice on different
days. If you do forward bends on Monday, do backbends on Tuesday, deep stretches
on Wednesday, arm balances on Thursday, etc. You don't have to be quite that
rigid (sounds like old line Dona Holleman) but mix it up bit and you won't get as
worn down.

If you hate the thought of a day off, then just do pranayama on that day or do headstand,
shoulderstand, and then pranayama. Give the rest of your muscles a chance to recharge.

Not overworking has been one of my greatest challenges in yoga, and I've been trying to
listen more to my body and less to my ego in structuring my weekly practice. I hope it won't
be as hard for you!

Kabu
Posted 2005-04-01 9:53 PM (#20912 - in reply to #20877)

Empress Echo - 2005-04-01 4:59 PM

So the last 2 or 3 days I'm starting to ache all over... it could be that I've just got some kind of virus - it almost feels like that - but I've got a sneaking feeling I'm overdoing it.  I feel stupid even asking this, but I have a history of bulimia and it is hard for me to judge sometimes how much is appropriate and how much is just going way overboard.

Reading this, I think you already know the answer.

Some of us have a tendency to really throw ourselves into our activities, whatever they may be. For some, it might be dieting (I've done that), working (as in a serious workaholic) or exercising (I've done that too).

I don't know if it's a mild form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or what, but we're wired to think, "If X is good, then additional Y and Z must be better!!!" 30 minutes of exercise turns into 60, then 90, etc. If eating 1200 calories a day sheds a few pounds, then cutting to 900 calories a day is right around the corner. If 2 cookies release that "feel good" feeling upon being eaten, then pass me the whole plate!!

Sometimes I think it's cool to be this way, because when you do something, you really do a great job. But it can also turn on you, like in this case. You're working out too much, and your body has finally had enough.

I know it's hard to rest, but try your best. Keep telling yourself that if you don't have a day or two a week off, you may end up overtraining so badly, you'll be sick for weeks at a time. Imagine trying to be inactive that long! Yuck!

(It's taken me a few years to lay off the workout schedule and allow for less intensity ~ I used to be a 7 day week girl, 90 minutes a day. And God forbid if I had to leave the house before getting my workout in. Instead, I would get up at 4:30 am to get it done.)
tourist
Posted 2005-04-02 1:41 AM (#20936 - in reply to #20895)

Expert Yogi

Echo - here is a dumb question for you - what else do you do in your day? Job? School? Fun? Friends? Book yourself some social time that doesn't include exercise. Pub nite! Movies and Haagen Daz. Whatever.

But I will also suggest restorative sequences again. You can do 2 hours of restorative that will leave your body saying "thank you" instead of "please stop!" I don't do the video thing but I would guess Patricia Walden might have a quiet sequence if anyone does.
audreyh1
Posted 2005-04-02 8:06 AM (#20941 - in reply to #20877)

I'd like to state the obvious (perhaps obvious?):

Muscles don't strengthen and improve DURING the exercise. They strengthen and improve during REST. Exercise tears down the tissues. Rest lets them heal stronger.

So if what you are seeking is a stronger, healthier body, then you must treat the rest time with the same respect that you treat your workout time. Rest is part of the practice.

People who overtrain get weaker and sick.

Audrey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)