YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scented mats?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2005-04-03 3:48 PM (#21013)
Subject: Scented mats?

Expert Yogi

I see scented mats advertised here. We'll have to add that to our list of class etiquette "don'ts"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-03 6:47 PM (#21016 - in reply to #21013)
Subject: RE: Scented mats?

As much as I love the idea, I can't see how a scented mat would work well. Maybe for home practice.

Speaking of mats, our studio is now selling the eco-friendly Harmony Mat. My interest is peaked.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-03 7:46 PM (#21020 - in reply to #21016)

Expert Yogi

We have some sort of "green" mats at our studio. They are actually also green.
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-04 8:56 PM (#21120 - in reply to #21013)

yeah, if i want some scents, ill just burn some nag champa.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-04 9:04 PM (#21122 - in reply to #21013)

How many teachers actually use scents in class? I know some like to burn incense or candles, but I always feel like yoga heightens the senses so even a slight scent might become overwhelming. Plus, I am olfactory-challenged, I can't really smell much of anything. So, if something became offensive, I would not know unless the students told me (how embarrassing). Also, if I burned candles, I wouldn't know if something caught on fire unless I actually saw it! This happened in the kitchen when I was a kid, I was yapping away on the phone with a pot going up in flames on the stove behind me. My mom was NEVER gonna let me get my own place!

Maybe scented mats were invented to cover the smell of B.O. after a mat has been used for a while?
Dragon
Posted 2005-04-05 11:59 AM (#21164 - in reply to #21013)

If the scented mats weren't really stong scents, they might be alright. I'm guessing some mats get kind of stinky for the people that are too lazy to clean them. I spray febreeze on mine after almost every "workout," just to keep it fresh. Granted "fresh" and "scented" are totally different, but anyway...

I was just thinking of "the stinky guy (or gal)." There seems to be one hiding out in a neighborhood near you... like that guy who sat beside me many, many, moons ago in Geology lab, or that guy now on a different shift. *cringe* (Intro to hygene... maybe that should be a class in school???)

The scented Yoga mat... the perfect gift for that stinky guy in class.

--Dragon
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-05 12:50 PM (#21167 - in reply to #21013)

A scented mat, or just scents, might help for me. The guy next to me always farts, and when your trying to practice breathing, thats not so nice. lol. Oy!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-05 5:06 PM (#21185 - in reply to #21122)

jeansyoga - 2005-04-05 3:04 AM
Plus, I am olfactory-challenged, I can't really smell much of anything.

Welcome to the club, Jean!

I remember, back in school it was always on me to remove the "stinky bombs" from the boys toilet. The burning kitchen? Been there! No time for a shower and feel lousy the whole day b/c you could be a bit smelly? Done that! My wife actually hates me for holding used clothes under her nose to find out if they need a washing or are good for another day.

I feel that yoga did help with that though. The other day I spelled some gas when wrenching on my bike and actually had the feeling I smelled something. On the other hand it could just be my imagination.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-05 6:46 PM (#21200 - in reply to #21185)

Expert Yogi

Stefan - ewwwww! I would not like to do the sniff test on my husband's used clothes! It is bad enough that he stinks up the office (right here where I sit computing) with his horrid neoprene kayaking booties. Sweat plus salt water plus neoprene And then he has the nerve tosay - I didn't notice they smelled bad... I wish we had a "gag" icon...

Posted 2005-04-05 6:58 PM (#21204 - in reply to #21200)

Here ya go glenda--choice of several:

and my favorite

easternsun
Posted 2005-04-05 9:25 PM (#21225 - in reply to #21200)

tourist - 2005-04-06 8:46 AM

Stefan - ewwwww! I would not like to do the sniff test on my husband's used clothes! It is bad enough that he stinks up the office (right here where I sit computing) with his horrid neoprene kayaking booties. Sweat plus salt water plus neoprene And then he has the nerve tosay - I didn't notice they smelled bad... I wish we had a "gag" icon...

okay get your gag emoticon ready!! (nice collection brucey!)

my husband is away and i have saved a few of his shirts - so i can smell them when i get lonely....i know that is sad and maybe i should be posting under "mental" wellness!!
one more month and can do his laundry....ahhhhh!

in his defence, they mostly smell like issey miyake, his scent of choice and not much like b.o. -- but that slightly funky smell is what i like! i digress.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-05 10:11 PM (#21229 - in reply to #21200)

tourist - 2005-04-06 12:46 AM
Sweat plus salt water plus neoprene

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was the only crewmember on our club's racing yacht that never had problems to sleep well and uninflicted by the smells of 10 other guys, sharing berths and sometimes sleeping bags, even after several days without shower or a change of undies. Everybody called it "the puma cage" but me, never actually have enjoyed the smell of a puma, I couldn't be bothered.

I feel like taking a bath now ...
loli
Posted 2005-04-06 4:15 AM (#21240 - in reply to #21167)

FamousLadyJane - 2005-04-05 5:50 PM

A scented mat, or just scents, might help for me. The guy next to me always farts, and when your trying to practice breathing, thats not so nice. lol. Oy!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
I have to say though, that a strong smell of any kind can be distracting in class...I always remember to wear deodorant but leave off the perfume before a class....
As a teacher though, I have wondered (although fortunately not come across this yet) whether it would be right to have a quiet word with someone if they came to class every week and had bad B.O.......?
How would one approach the problem?
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-06 5:31 AM (#21243 - in reply to #21240)

Free 'natural' deoderant samples?

Fee
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-06 12:57 PM (#21279 - in reply to #21013)

Afroyogi - I'm so happily surprised to learn there are others like me who can't smell! My husband is often subjected to the "smell this shirt" demand (this morning I made him smell a questionable sports bra!) but he doesn't seem to mind. I guess it's a good trade off since I can never smell bad breath, B.O., or "wind"
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 1:08 PM (#21281 - in reply to #21013)

When my dog is restless, he'll go off to find my sweater and snuggle with it. My husband is convinced it's because it has my scent.

I'm paranoid about smell, so I've always got some kind of perfume or lotion (on a good day, BOTH) on me. Before class though, I shower and lay off the perfume. Sometimes I'll use my peppermint lotion, which is very refreshing and not too strong, but that's it. I don't want to give anyone a headache.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-06 6:42 PM (#21318 - in reply to #21279)

Expert Yogi

Jean - I know several people who hae very poor sense of smell. One has had her nose broken several times and others just "lost it" one day and never regained it. Too bad!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-06 7:17 PM (#21324 - in reply to #21281)

Expert Yogi

Don't worry Banana Sponge Bob about giving anyone a headache with Peppermint lotion - Peppermint is for headaches It's the perfume with all the improper combining of essential oils that gives one a headache! And don't even try to cover it up with perfume in Bikram class, it's the worst to be sweating your butt off in a Bikram class and someone is sweating out their perfume right beside you - UGH!!!
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 8:30 PM (#21332 - in reply to #21324)

Cyndi - 2005-04-06 7:17 PM

Don't worry Banana Sponge Bob about giving anyone a headache with Peppermint lotion - Peppermint is for headaches

Hee hee...that's what I was thinking. *sigh* I love Peppermint and Eucalyptus.
lavteal
Posted 2005-04-09 3:28 PM (#21509 - in reply to #21013)

Be careful with the quality of scents and lotions that you choose. Your skin is your largest organ and it absorbs those things that you put on it.
There is the risk of accumulating enough toxicity to create many sensitivities, and for some people fibromyalga. (I know some)
A guideline from an excellent book by Paul Pitchford (Healing with Whole Foods) goes some thing like "If you wouldn't be willing to eat it, don't put it on your skin"

I'm not quite that strict about it but I have certainly found that the less scent that I use, the less I NEED to use

Anti persperants and deoderants block the pores and prevent the escape of toxins and the more you wash your underarms the more they will smell. You wash away natural oils and the body works harder to reproduce them. The same principle with your hair. After an adjustment period you can get away with only shampooing your hair twice a week. (When mine is short, only once) The scalp doesn't work so hard to produce oil if you don't wash it away. Cut back gradually though or you'll think this is all hokey nonsense.

And the best thing of all is that when you do chose to use scents less frequently they seems much more special!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 5:08 PM (#21516 - in reply to #21509)

Expert Yogi

lavteal - in the "olden days" of the 1960's people only washed their hair AND bathed once a week. I am ancient enough to remember that But it was pretty yucky for people with oily hair and even people with dry hair like myself. Seems most of us decided to move to more frequent hair washing for better or for worse.

As for scents causing fibromyalgia, I am a little leery of things like this that are unable to be tested at least with a double blind of some sort. A theory of "I always wore scented everything and now I have fibromyalgia" is a bit like saying "I always ate cheese and now I have fibromyalgia." A pretty tenuous connection, at best. I am not saying everyone should wear scented everything - I am the one who made the original post suggesting that scented mats might not be the best idea. I hate too much scent. I have had migraines thta I'm sure were caused by scent and recently I had a scented product applied to me that made my nose run like a faucet - removed the scent and nose stopped running. But I have had scents make me feel physically ill until I stopped and reflected honestly that it was because I disliked the smell so much - not that it was in fact making me sick. Our minds are powerful and we can convince ourselves very easily that we "should" be sick if we really want to be.
lavteal
Posted 2005-04-09 7:48 PM (#21525 - in reply to #21013)

You're right about the fibromyalgia. I neglected to give it a good proof read before I posted. I was probably thinking about how sensitive people with FM are to the toxins in scents.

Re: Your emotional reaction to disliking a scent. There certainly is something to that - but did you ever think that your dislike might be your body trying to tell you something?

I still stand by the less frequent hair shampooing, and I do shower regularly but do not use soap in my armpits. (hey, isn't one of sutras or niyamas about cleanliness?)

Avoiding those products also has a political aspect. Billions of dollars a year go to corporations that promote an 'ideal' image of body that the masses try to achieve. But it will certainly cost you. And what are hidden costs of commercial beauty? Self esteem when you feel you don't measure up (eating disorders?) Are the companies linked to weapons manufacture? Animal testing? Sweatshops?

There are some cosmetic companies that use natural products and have ethical guidelines, Aveda is one. (I still don't like how the potential is there for them to completely change the economies of the south american rainforest people where they do business. It is economic colonialization ....

OK I'll get off the soapbox

LT

Edited by lavteal 2005-04-09 8:02 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 8:34 PM (#21527 - in reply to #21525)

Expert Yogi

Soapbox I love it!

Yeah - I get on that soapbox too, from time to time. I yell at my TV a lot and also spend a lot of time just shaking my head at what they are trying to sell us as "necessary." Teeth whitening is one of my latest things. When they called it "bleaching" nobody did it - now it is "whitening" and the world has decided it needs blazing white teeth. Some of the celebs are actually looking a little scary. I can't figure out why anyone would want to add yet another chemical to their bodies. Note to world: teeth are naturally shades of ivory - yellow!

>>Re: Your emotional reaction to disliking a scent. There certainly is something to that - but did you ever think that your dislike might be your body trying to tell you something?

I still stand by the less frequent hair shampooing, and I do shower regularly but do not use soap in my armpits.<<

Well, I do have an emotional reaction to some of the "au naturel" folks in my classes. I don't like having to practice beside them. Sorry! When I am living a more natural, outdoor life with lots of space and clean food and air, it doesn't bother me. But I don't care how often you shower, if you are in an office all day and living a typical urban/suburban life, you won't be pleasant to be near when you start to sweat.

A funny story - I knew a young American woman who had spent several years in France. We got talking about the same issue and she told me that men did not need to use deoderant as long as they showered daily but women did because they smelled terrible
lavteal
Posted 2005-04-10 1:54 AM (#21550 - in reply to #21013)

I hadn't considered the office scenario. I have noticed on occaison that air conditioning makes peoples' sweat . . . sort of . . . (tasting on my tongue here) . . . a touch metallic? I suppose there are many factors that affect personal colongne.

I was told when I lived in Seoul Korea (and I did use scent at that time) that the Asian people could smell us Westerners as different. It was the dairy.

Aaaah dairy. I used to travel 1/2 way across that insane metropolis to a shop near the embassies just to get a block of cheese. We couldn't buy a cheese grater for love nor money and had to use a vegetable peeler. No, that's not quite true - we didn't shop at the US base.

About avoiding practicing beside those who go au naturel. I'm torn between giving you a buddhist thing about 'aversion' and rethinking my habits. Crystal deodorant? Laundry schedule?
Hey! Could this have something to do with my long singlehood?
Gol durned principles!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-10 2:02 AM (#21551 - in reply to #21550)

Expert Yogi

>>Could this have something to do with my long singlehood? <<

I have known people who lived in Asia who would buy a whole suitcase full of cheese whenever they out to a place they could buy some. I think a lot of us could live without milk but cheese, once you have a taste for it, is something hard to give up!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)