YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Atheism
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Mitch
Posted 2005-05-10 1:25 PM (#23821 - in reply to #21040)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Atheism

Returning to the original topic of secular humanism and yoga, I had a moment of clarity on the train this morning. (I was reading Rolf Gates' book, so perhaps he deserves the credit.)

As secular humanists, we view the belief in the afterlife as counterproductive to life in the here in now (regardless of whether there is an afterlife). In effect, if people are living for the next life, they're not doing everything that they can to better themselves and humanity today.

In yoga, we are striving to live fully in the current moment, not lost in thoughts of yesterday or visions of tomorrow, in order to free our minds from our usual thoughts and habits.

In summary, both yogic and humanistic philosophy directs us to focus fully on the present moment, demonstrating a commonality between the two philosophies.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
CGG
Posted 2005-05-10 3:32 PM (#23830 - in reply to #23821)

Mitch - 2005-05-10 1:25 PM

As secular humanists, we view the belief in the afterlife as counterproductive to life in the here in now (regardless of whether there is an afterlife). In effect, if people are living for the next life, they're not doing everything that they can to better themselves and humanity today.

In yoga, we are striving to live fully in the current moment, not lost in thoughts of yesterday or visions of tomorrow, in order to free our minds from our usual thoughts and habits.

In summary, both yogic and humanistic philosophy directs us to focus fully on the present moment, demonstrating a commonality between the two philosophies.

That's so true. It's part of why I like yoga so much. The focus on the present is so humanisitc. It's easy to relate one to the other. I tend to think of yoga as a form of humanism, though obviously not a secular form.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-10 9:50 PM (#23847 - in reply to #23830)

Expert Yogi

I'd certainly agree that some aspects of yoga (such as the yamas) are
very much about living in the here and now.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)