YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga meets running
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

akyogini
Posted 2005-04-04 5:52 PM (#21109)
Subject: yoga meets running

I am about to start my running for the season , i need some ideas on the best yogaic warm ups and downs for running in the cold (thirty degrees) and the effects of running in the cold ~ any advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-04 8:04 PM (#21118 - in reply to #21109)
Subject: RE: yoga meets running

Expert Yogi

Erika - brrrr! We have an ongoing battle at our house over whether it is crazier to run/bike/paddle etc. in cold/rain/wind etc. or to stand on one's head for 10 minutes at a time Do you already do yoga? I would hate to give you a list of poses and then have you say "what the heck are those?" Warrior poses, sun salutes, standing big toe holds, seated forward bends, standing forward bends. The list could go on and on
akyogini
Posted 2005-04-05 5:47 PM (#21192 - in reply to #21109)

oh ,yes, i have taught yoga a bit , and have a regular practice. I used to live in SE alaska, (sitka) and we had the same debate , ie, kyaking, hiking, etc in the rain. Warrior is intense, and i love those poses, i usually do a sun salut. before my run, and i run with my old yoga teacher. I love camel, and extended, especially, really any backbends or inversions. Do you have any experience with running and backbends. I did a few miles this morning, and the 'cool down' inversions and such kinda' hurt. do you think it might be better to not do those right afterwords, and stick with the strenghtening , ie, warrior etc?

Edited by akyogini 2005-04-05 5:48 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-05 7:41 PM (#21215 - in reply to #21192)

Expert Yogi

OK - so you know cold....brrrr! You know, I was thinking when I posted that one wouldn't really do backbends in connection with running but hadn't considered why not. I suppose that I usually spend quite a bit of time to warm up and get ready for backbends so if I were warming up for a run it would just take too long. But if you had time it would be great to open the chest before you ran and backbends would work for that. It depends on where you are warming up, too. If you are already outside, there isn't usually appropriate space for it. If you are at home, no problem. If you are familar with handstands, they would be great for getting things moving. Inversions after a run? Well, I wouldn't think they would feel good (I'm thinking shoulderstand and such) for a while maybe. Remember, I am not a runner - I just live with one Generally the seated forward bends are good because the back body gets tight from running and needs to be lengthened out again. And twists, both standing and sitting. Save your headstand and shoulderstand for after the shower when you have already cooled the body and are ready to cool and calm the nervous system.
akyogini
Posted 2005-04-06 6:05 PM (#21308 - in reply to #21109)

thanks for the suggestions. My running base is usually my studio ( i run with the owner ) and i usually have a bit of time to warm up... thank you again for the suggestions How long are your usual warm ups? cool downs? (Also directed at said runner in home )
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)