YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pain relieving pose?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

sideshow
Posted 2005-04-05 2:41 PM (#21172)
Subject: pain relieving pose?

Hey, im looking for some advice ( other than the standard find a teacher/class advice! ). For about maybe the past week or so, ive been having some pain fairly deep on the left side of my neck just right about below my skull, sometimes its kind of a "twinge" pain and sometimes its more of a dull throb, the thing is, is its actually screwing with my sinus ear and jaw on the left side of my face ( not neccasarilly all at once ) also at about the crown of my head on down i can trace what i will call a "pain trail" that goes to where the pain is in my neck. Im thinking that I got either a pinched nerve or a serverly bad sinus infection.

I guess I wanna know if there are any asanas that may be able to work this "kink" out of my upper neck area, so hopefully all the referred pain will go away as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-05 5:02 PM (#21184 - in reply to #21172)
Subject: RE: pain relieving pose?

get your asana to a chiropractor!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-05 5:13 PM (#21186 - in reply to #21172)

Strange, my pain always disappears when I come out of asana.
No, earnest, this sounds like a pinched/irritated nerve to me. As always in these cases the source is difficult to locate since nerve pains are spreading very far. It could be a bad tooth, cramped sleeping, driving with window down, wrong movement in practice or many other things. I would say go and see your doc!
MrD
Posted 2005-04-05 6:23 PM (#21196 - in reply to #21172)

Does the pain also occur when you press on the traps, or around your shoulderblades?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-05 6:35 PM (#21197 - in reply to #21172)

Expert Yogi

Sideshow - often shoulderstand and plough will get into those areas for me to let stuff go. Very important to not turn the head while in those poses, of course, although it is tempting (but unsafe!) when one is working out a kink. The other thing I usually try when I have somthing like that is twists, especially done Iyengar style at the wall. Very nice. Or get to the chiro/massage/physio
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-06 11:29 AM (#21268 - in reply to #21172)

thanks guys, ill try to make a chiropractor apt for friday. I was just wondering, im here at work for like about another hour and a half then im going home sick.

The question about feeling the pain when i press on my shoulder is kind of hard to answer cuz its on the same side as my "problem" shoulder area, so that knotted muscle area between my shoulderblade and spine is always a little bit tender. Really its very sensisitive up in my neck right now ( or lately ). I actually thought maybe doing the shoulderstand was what enflamed my neck...so ive stopped doin that so much for now.

Anyways..any asanas to cure a major headcold? ;)
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 12:00 PM (#21275 - in reply to #21268)

sideshow - 2005-04-06 11:29 AM

I can only speak from my own experience. I tried a simple Family Yoga class at the tail end of a head cold (not super sick, just a teeny bit stuffy).

I went from this to this in 1 hour. I thought my head was going to explode. I think holding Down Dog is what did me in.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-06 3:43 PM (#21291 - in reply to #21172)

For the head cold, you may want to try Bruce's favorite: the neti pot! Only for the wee bit stuffy, sometimes when you're overstuffed it can make it worse.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-06 4:42 PM (#21302 - in reply to #21172)

For healing a head cold I suggest you drag your bum to the nearest ocean (must contain salt water!) and sniff the water like cocaine. Every ocean is basically nothing but a huge neti pot. This works wonders! I kid you not.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-06 4:48 PM (#21303 - in reply to #21172)

You speak the truth! The ocean has many other healing properties beyond the neti-effect too. For us unlucky landlubbers, a neti is a poor substitute! But, you gotta work with what you have.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-07 5:42 AM (#21359 - in reply to #21303)

I have a really great plug-in vapouriser. All I have to do is slide in a pad impregnated with essential oils and then go to sleep. How great is that for busting a sinus infection

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-04-07 5:42 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 10:08 AM (#21368 - in reply to #21268)

Expert Yogi

Sideshow - how's the sinuses going? How's the neck? My bet is that they are "feeding" each other. My sinuses go nuts when my neck is tight and vice versa. But if you think the sinuses are really infected, don't wait too long to get to a regular doctor. A bad sinus infection can mess you up for a long time. I think I actually have a bit of hearing loss from my last one a couple of years ago.
MrD
Posted 2005-04-07 12:55 PM (#21375 - in reply to #21268)

sideshow - 2005-04-06 11:29 AM

thanks guys, ill try to make a chiropractor apt for friday. I was just wondering, im here at work for like about another hour and a half then im going home sick.

The question about feeling the pain when i press on my shoulder is kind of hard to answer cuz its on the same side as my "problem" shoulder area, so that knotted muscle area between my shoulderblade and spine is always a little bit tender. Really its very sensisitive up in my neck right now ( or lately ). I actually thought maybe doing the shoulderstand was what enflamed my neck...so ive stopped doin that so much for now.

The reason that I asked is that neck pain is quite often generated in the back as I found out with my recent physical therapy. The trapezus muscles connect to the neck and the shoulderblade. So you might want to use accupressure to relieve tension where the neck joins the shoulders. The Rhomboids can also affect the neck and need to be loosened.

I losen up these muscles by using a hand bike, using a Theraband, and by doing three exercises with light weights on a balance ball. I do two on mo stomach, and im essentially in half locust posistion on the ball where my trunk is ain a back band. I do reverse dumbell flies where I put theweights together just above the floor then lift both arms out to the side at the same time., parallel with the shoulders. The second is to slowly swing one arm overhad with the other one back, then reversing them in a slow arc. also lying on my back I like the light weights over my head so my arms are parallel with the ears.

Does anyone have some yoga poses to help releave tension in the upper back and neck?
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-07 2:07 PM (#21379 - in reply to #21172)

I have *got* to get my keister to a physical therapist.

Or a chiro.

A Shaman.

A past life regressionist.

Anything!

Mr D, Plow works well for me. Of course, it's temporary, but it's some relief. Finding the root cause for our tension might serve us better, but it's easier said than done, eh?

sideshow
Posted 2005-04-09 1:40 PM (#21498 - in reply to #21172)

Yesterday I still felt fairly stuffy but more apt to do stuff, today I seem to be a bit better than yesterday but when i woke up this morning my throat was so scratchy that it seemed like i couldnt drink enough water to clear it up. I havent done yoga for the past 3 days although last night ( or early this morning as i was waking up ) i dreamed i was doing yoga, and somehow i felt my body feel stretched and such, weird eh?

as far as my neck goes, it seems to be a bit "iffy" sometimes it seems to just come and go and other times im like wow my neck isnt feeling all weird and then BAM it starts feeling all goofy. Bah whatever right now that yoga dream is whats throwing me...
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 2:05 PM (#21499 - in reply to #21498)

Expert Yogi

The scratchy throat is usually caused by the drainage from your sinuses. A salt water gargle is good to make that feel better but eating ice cream is more fun You might want to try putting hot and cold packs on your neck and shoulders - alternate five minutes each. That can sometimes loosen stuff up. Actually, you can also lie on a ball and roll it around on your tight muscles and that can be a huge help. Or wedge the ball between your back and a wall if the full weight of your body it too much. There are whole schools of therapy built around ball rolling type exercise now, but my chiro has us use a tennis ball to release tight spots years ago.
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-09 5:04 PM (#21515 - in reply to #21172)

been there done that, the ball thing doesnt really work for me, a friend of mine who is a massage therapist took a look at my shoulder one night, and said that my muscle is tight like 3 layers of tissue down, so i cant put enough weight on the ball to release that tension. Blargh, i feel like this is my "im full of woes" post...grrr..thats not exactly what i meant for this to turn into as i am aware that everyone has certain problems of one kind or another.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 5:14 PM (#21517 - in reply to #21515)

Expert Yogi

Well, the only answer then is to get someone to work on it. The chiro will help some but if the muscles stay tight the bones will just keep going back out of whack. A good chiro will usually know someone who can assist in these sorts of situations - massage, rolfing, hellerwork, accupuncture, as someone else said - a past life regressionist - whatever it takes! You can see already how it is affecting your health and work so now is the time to get moving and get some help. Someone here said something about muscle relaxers for sale...actually they will work for you if you are wanting to go the western medical route. But I would get them from your doctor - not strange internet people like us
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)