YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Outdoor yoga, second try
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-05 5:33 PM (#21190)
Subject: Outdoor yoga, second try

Today's class was great! I love my teacher!
That said I was quite excited when she told us that friday morning's class will be held outdoors, at a river on a nearby farm. Usually I oversleep morning stiff-yoga classes, knowing that they're not much fun for me. But today I feel very motivated and will try to make it to friday's class. So if some of you guys can maybe nice enough to remind me of my resolution on thu evening that would be great. Thanx
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-05 6:49 PM (#21201 - in reply to #21190)
Subject: RE: Outdoor yoga, second try

Expert Yogi

Do you also want us to remind you about the scary critters and insects you'll be encountering too Just kidding

Posted 2005-04-05 6:53 PM (#21203 - in reply to #21190)

Alright! Outside class means smoking is allowed.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-05 9:00 PM (#21219 - in reply to #21203)

Expert Yogi

Brother Bruce, we need to have a talk...
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-05 9:02 PM (#21221 - in reply to #21219)

Expert Yogi

I think he needs some therapy...just what kind I'm not sure
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-05 9:59 PM (#21226 - in reply to #21190)

Thanks for the reminder, Cindy. That was exactly what came to my mind first, when the outdoors class was announced. Especially when I heard it'll be with a river nearby. But thankfully the summer is over now and there are not too much of 'em flying beasts around anymore. Knowing myself rather well I'll probably still be in wonderland when that class happens. So the mosquito invasion shouldn't be a problem for me anyway.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-06 5:40 AM (#21244 - in reply to #21190)
Subject: inspired!

today was my day!

i had no classes to teach, no school to attend, my house is clean and it was 21 degrees -- i figured i would give the outdoor yoga thing a shot. the first problem was to actually find the great outdoors! there is a huge park about 5 kms away (maybe more!). it is the place where some of the world cup soccer was held a few years back.

i packed my bag (ipod, meditation book, water bottle, sunscreen, fleece trainers for later), sucked back a smoothie, grabbed my bike and off i went!

the ride was nice. the park was beautiful. i spent the first hour biking through the park admiring the cherry blossoms which are just starting to bloom. i couldnt really find a spot that wasnt full of hanami (flower watching) picnic people. i paid 200 yen (about 2 dollars) to enter the massive botanical gardens. i had to ditch my bike, so i walked around and around and around. i was looking for the ultimate place to to practice. i was hoping for a spot under a blooming cherry tree but i really didnt want a huge audience so i "settled" for a spot in the oak tree forest.

i brought my crappy mat (it is a bit too small). i was on the flattest ground i could find but it was still not exactly great. everytime i jumped both my feet would end up in the dirt and leaves -- completely off the mat! i had a towel with me and cleaned off the mud and leaves from my feet between asanas . the balance postures were cool. i loved triangle as i was looking up at my hand and into the trees. quite a change from the white ceilings of my apartment. actually all the standing poses were great and i was able to hold on for much longer than i would normally. nature inspired me i suppose.

of course there were people walking through the area but i was able to keep focused. a group of obachans and ojichans (little old men and women) who were all part of a photography club got some great shots of me doing yoga in the bushes i wish i could have asked them for copies!

of course i ended things with savasana. as i was laying there, i heard some kids come by and one of them said to his friend "shinda" - which basically means "she's dead" --so i guess i was doing a good job!

i spent another hour under a cherry tree listening to music and eating onigiri (rice balls seasoned with spring mountain flowers and pickled plum). pretty standard hanami food!

i hopped back on the bike for the ride home (which seemed to take a lot longer!!)

it was a lovely yoga in the park day!

who is next with an outdoor yoga adventure story?

here is a picture of hanami:

Edited by easternsun 2005-04-06 5:45 AM

(smhanami.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments smhanami.jpg (58KB - 76 downloads)
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-06 6:21 AM (#21245 - in reply to #21244)
Subject: RE: inspired!

That sounds like a perfectly lovely way to pass a few hours

Mind you, I'm now quite hungry *ggg*

Fee
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-06 6:30 AM (#21246 - in reply to #21244)

Hey you lucky girl ,.. Sooo???? You want us to be jealous with you or what Haaa????
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-06 8:57 AM (#21255 - in reply to #21190)

jealous NOOOOO! i live in a concrete jungle. i had to bike 10 kms (there and back) to get to a place "Naturey" enough for this little experiment. i would much rather be secluded on a mountain top or a sandy beach -- but i made the best of my situation

the picture posted above is not where i was today, just a stock photo of cherry blossoms!

i would rather be in sri lanka
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 10:03 AM (#21261 - in reply to #21190)

EasternSun, that was so cool. And I love the picture ~ thank you for posting it!

My neighbor across the street just started practicing on his front lawn. I know the rest of the block must think he's nuts, but I have half a mind to go over and join him.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-06 4:05 PM (#21295 - in reply to #21190)

Kira, that reminds me that every year around this time of spring the japanese embassy in my hometown Hamburg/Germany (yeah, I'm a hamburger ) is throwing a cherry blossom festival which ends with the most spectacular fireworks. Us hamburgers just love that treat. When the weather is fine, some hundred thousands of people will gather in the inner city just to watch the fireworks. The lake is full with boats and the streets overflow with spectators. Traffic chaos included...
Thanks for giving me this fuzzy feeling.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-06 4:13 PM (#21297 - in reply to #21190)

You guys have me inspired! I am going to Key Largo tomorrow, and will have to take some pics to share of my outdoor yoga experiences!
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-06 5:37 PM (#21307 - in reply to #21190)

Well, this also inspired me. I took a blanket, strollerd to a valley by our house. My daughter convieniently fell asleep, so I spread the blanket out on a perfect spot and did my yoga. It was nice. Birds chirping, and in the valley there is a pleasant stream. Although, there was the hum of distant traffic in the back, haha. But at least it was a constant hum. Just as I finished, my daughter woke up and I took her out. Then we packed up and went home. As I walked away, I felt very relaxed. It was nice.
Thankyou for the inspiration!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-06 6:32 PM (#21314 - in reply to #21307)

Expert Yogi

We should have blossom veiwing parties here - it practically snows when the wind blows!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-07 5:45 AM (#21360 - in reply to #21261)

Go for it! The buzz from messin' with the minds of the rest of the neighbourhood'll be as good as the yoga high :-)

Fee

Kabu - 2005-04-06 3:03 PM

EasternSun, that was so cool. And I love the picture ~ thank you for posting it!

My neighbor across the street just started practicing on his front lawn. I know the rest of the block must think he's nuts, but I have half a mind to go over and join him.
MrD
Posted 2005-04-07 7:27 PM (#21394 - in reply to #21190)
Subject: Hey Afro, Remember to get up.

Outdoor yoga should be fun.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-07 9:49 PM (#21411 - in reply to #21244)

Expert Yogi

Kira that's really cool. I would like such a practice!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-09 7:43 AM (#21484 - in reply to #21190)

Well, here's what happened: I woke up much too early ... and hungry. Although I didn't plan to have a breakfast before class I prepared a bowl of muesli. That was a mistake. The milk probably was to cold so 5 minutes later hefty stomach cramps did set in and I felt very lousy. Nevertheless I decided to drive up to the gym where we were supposed to meet. There I spent the waiting time in the restroom, emptying my bowels through all available holes in my body. As I said before, I wasn't feeling to well.
Okay, so I go up the the group training room and find only my teacher, puzzled cause nobody else did show up. It was quite frustrating, so she decided to just teach the ususal 9:15 indoor class to the few people that finally show up and didn't know about the initial plan. Also she said that she'll not try to announce a outdoor class again. At least not anytime soon. By that time my stomach was so bad that I had to excuse myself and drove straight to the next pharmacy and then home. That's also the reason why I wasn't here yesterday. I spent the whole friday with couch yoga.
And it was such a fantastic morning for outdoor yoga. What a waste.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 10:28 AM (#21489 - in reply to #21484)

Expert Yogi

Oh Stefan, what a dissappointment! Plus - how awful to have something take over your tummy like that. Sounds a lot worse than a little milk that was too cold. Hope you are feeling better and that you can do your own outdoor practice soon.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-09 7:16 PM (#21520 - in reply to #21190)

Thanks Glenda, ya I'm much better now. But you're right, it couldn't have been the milk but probably is some virus. Mrs Afroyogi doesn't feel well too. It was just that it started right after I had my muesli. However I don't think that I will attempt any outdoors yoga on my own since I hardly ever do practice alone. I need that external kick from my timetable that tells me "Drag your sorry @$$ to class - right now!" At home it seems there's always something better, more important to do, like checking the forum, watching TV, doing the dishes and stuff.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 7:22 PM (#21521 - in reply to #21520)

Expert Yogi

Well, you can do savasana on the couch maybe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)