YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Cult
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-06 12:39 AM (#21234)
Subject: Yoga Cult

Anybody ever hear of these? Somebody mentioned this to me today, and I never thought of it. Is there such a thing? Is it like religious cults? This somebody knew of someone who left her family with their savings to live with her fellow yogi's in another province for half a year. Could this be a true story, and should I or others be cautious about this sort of thing when joining yoga groups?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-06 12:52 AM (#21236 - in reply to #21234)
Subject: RE: Yoga Cult

Expert Yogi

Yeah - I think you should be careful with that stuff. There has been talk here about one group that seems cult-ish. OTOH, there are legitimate ashrams that people might just run away to - I mean where the person made the choice to pick up and go but the group had no particular desire or rule that they had to do that. Yasodara Ashram, in BC is a Sivananda group and you can indeed go and live there but they are not interested in converting anyone as far as I know.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-06 9:09 AM (#21256 - in reply to #21234)

Dear FamousLadyJane:
Yes, the cults were there, are there, and will be there. The cults are there in Politics, In Religion, In Financial Institutions, In Jobs, In Schools, In Races, and maximum cults have been in Religion as you know from the history of the world. What you mentioned as the effect or events in cult (money, going away, disaapearance, etc.) all these have happened in all the kinds of cults I mentioned. So, I do not think you should worry about them. I think you should go by your intuition and take care of yourself. For example, in today's grocery market, there is a very Big Cult of Food-Cheating, and that is leading the majority of population to Cancer. Therefore, you should be only as careful as you do when you do grocery shopping.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-06 11:47 AM (#21273 - in reply to #21234)

here is a link to a post about the possible Dahn Yoga cults.

http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18723&posts=15

there are actual other links posted in there from users who did a google search on these suckaz.

hope this helps, I am however confused on how one who is enlightened with yoga would be succeptible to a cult since yoga is the practice of peace and freewill ( in not so many words, but my head is swimming in a gooey muck of sinus congestion )
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-06 3:54 PM (#21292 - in reply to #21234)

Sideshow, weak people will fall for cults. But weak people will also search enlightenment in yoga. They will not neccessarily become stronger by practicing yoga but will fall again for a cult should they join the wrong group/school/ashram. If you lack in the common sense-intelligence-consciousness department you are a possible victim for cults. Sad but true.

BTW, I think yoga and it's followers (the scene, the in-crowd) is cult ... in the cultural meaning of the word. Like the Rocky Horror Picture Show cult, cult music, cult movies and stuff.
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-06 5:32 PM (#21305 - in reply to #21292)

afroyogi - 2005-04-06 1:54 PM

Sideshow, weak people will fall for cults. But weak people will also search enlightenment in yoga. They will not neccessarily become stronger by practicing yoga but will fall again for a cult should they join the wrong group/school/ashram. If you lack in the common sense-intelligence-consciousness department you are a possible victim for cults. Sad but true.

BTW, I think yoga and it's followers (the scene, the in-crowd) is cult ... in the cultural meaning of the word. Like the Rocky Horror Picture Show cult, cult music, cult movies and stuff.

I like your point of view, Id have to agree, all of this is true. Thanks
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-06 9:37 PM (#21335 - in reply to #21292)

Expert Yogi

afroyogi - 2005-04-06 3:54 PM

It's a real sensation
Like you're under sedation
LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!

It's just a jump to left.
And then a step to the ri-i-i-ight.
Put your hands on your hips.
And put your knees in ti-i-ight.
And it's the pelvic thrust.
Really drives you insa-a-a-ane.
LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 1:10 AM (#21356 - in reply to #21335)

Expert Yogi

OOOOooooooh ROCKY!!!!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-07 9:52 PM (#21412 - in reply to #21356)

Expert Yogi

What ever happened to Saturday ni-ight???
apple3.14
Posted 2005-04-11 8:13 AM (#21615 - in reply to #21292)

afroyogi - 2005-04-06 3:54 PM

Sideshow, weak people will fall for cults. But weak people will also search enlightenment in yoga.
If you lack in the common sense-intelligence-consciousness department you are a possible victim for cults. Sad but true.

Hi Afro I think that is a little harsh, weakness is not necessarily inherent in the person but life's many challenges and traumas can make a perfectly intelligent once very conscious person deeply vulnerable and susceptible to those who prey on such vulnerability. This happened to a friend of mine after losing two babies in a row to cot death, she was drawn to a small but dangerous "Christian" cult (in fact their ethics were far from Christian) who abused her desperate need to make sense of her terrible loss and took every penny she and her family had. She was not weak but broken and understandably so, fortunately she is now back with her family and beginning to return to her old self or as close to her old self as the path that life took her down can get.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-11 5:27 PM (#21647 - in reply to #21234)

Good point Samantha. I'll try next time to think before I post. But seeing that you're kinda newbie here (welcome btw) you must know that I am the one here who's always quick with responses and opinions. More often than not my posts turn out to be complete and utter nonsense. So you should see this loudmouth rather as a bad example and don't care too much about what I'm writing. It'll make the stay in this forum so much easier and bearable for you..... Now where's the clown-smiley when you need it?
apple3.14
Posted 2005-04-12 7:10 AM (#21690 - in reply to #21647)

afroyogi - 2005-04-11 5:27 PM

you must know that I am the one here who's always quick with responses and opinions

Hi Afro, in that case you would get on well with my dad he who when my asked by my mum "does this dress make me look big" replied "no but the colour makes you look old" !!!!!!! My that was a memorable easter
tourist
Posted 2005-04-12 8:14 PM (#21769 - in reply to #21690)

Expert Yogi

Apple - thanks for the laugh! I trust your parents each have a healthy sense of humour....
apple3.14
Posted 2005-04-13 3:54 AM (#21796 - in reply to #21234)

Lets put it this way, if my mum didn't have a decent sense of humour my dad would have woken up with an axe in the back of his head by now, but then my husband has had his axe in head moments as undoubtedly have most of us
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-13 2:56 PM (#21842 - in reply to #21234)

Me, I can not think of one axe-in-head-moment. But also I'm a bit reluctant to ask my wife for her memories.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)