YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inversion Therapy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 12:15 PM (#21277)
Subject: Inversion Therapy

Has anyone ever tried an inversion table? I saw one and found it interesting (Teeter Hang Ups).

I've had chronic neck, back and shoulder pain for a good 15 years. Yoga has helped tremendously (especially Plow), but I think it's too much to hope to be completely pain free. Plus, as I get older, I imagine this will be an uphill battle. My sister was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (and LOTS of arthritis in the family tree); I sometimes wonder if I won't have THAT waiting for me as well.

I've read so much about the benefits of inversion in Yoga ~ the table might give me a way to invert without putting pressure on my spine (like hand or headstand). Those who have bought and reviewed tables claim to have relief from tension headaches, neck/back and even hip pain.

My husband is currently looking for medical literature on the subject, and I wanted to ask you guys what you thought as well.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-06 1:07 PM (#21280 - in reply to #21277)
Subject: RE: Inversion Therapy

I am very curious to hear what everyone says as well . . . I don't have especially severe back problems, but I was wondering if it's good for wrinkles and fighting gravity in the (ahem) chest area!

I don't do many inversions at home due to my likelihood of breaking the television or my foot or landing on a small animal. But, last night I fashioned a pseudo-inversion, dangling off off the couch. I would not recommend this dangerous pose to anyone, especially with said small animals licking one's face! But, it actually felt kinda good for a while there.
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 1:16 PM (#21282 - in reply to #21280)

I tried it on my stairs yesterday.

I love how my neck feels when I'm dangling upside down, so I draped my body head first down the stair case. It worked well until I started to *really* relax, which caused me to slip a bit. The dog thought this was some kind of new game and pounced on my stomach ~ painful, but it kept me from slipping any further.

The Hang Up table looks so comfy. I'm really hoping Tom comes back with glowing reports from physical therapists and ortho guys.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-06 1:49 PM (#21284 - in reply to #21277)

Kabu:
All this inversion should be done with Experienced Teacher in Your Case.
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 6:39 PM (#21316 - in reply to #21284)

Darn, I knew you'd say that.

I suppose I could hit my doc up for a physical therapy referral. I don't know...do people go through physical therapy for this kind of thing? I mean, it's annoying, it's painful, but it doesn't stop me from my daily routine.

I fear my doc will just say, "Yeeaaaah, here's another muscle relaxer."
tourist
Posted 2005-04-06 6:41 PM (#21317 - in reply to #21277)

Expert Yogi

Kabu - I have heard good and bad about inversion tables. Several very hilarious but scary to the person at the time (and potentially more dangerous than slipping down the stairs upside down ) stories of getting stuck in them. But I have one friend who had a terrible back problem that was eased tremendously by using one. A good chiro could have fixed her but....well....loong story. You can get a lot of the same benefits with Iyengar style ropes or inversion slings, which may be cheaper, I don't know. Just make sure that it supports the body in several places so you don't end up with a problem in a different body part. There were a lot of inversion boots around a few decades ago that caused all kinds of knee and ankle problems because of all the pressure they put on those joints.
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-06 8:33 PM (#21333 - in reply to #21317)

Getting stuck, eh?

Perhaps I'll stick to the stairs.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-07 5:53 AM (#21361 - in reply to #21280)

*LOL* I've seen a similar image on a greetings card.... the old man's sitting slouched in a comfy arm chair talking to his wife about what's on TV. She's in the backgroud hanging upside down in a doorway, suspended using ankle straps with hooks on them. She says she can't see a thing. I leave it to your imagination as to why *gggg*.

Oh boy, I know that furry moment thing during practise. My cat Nutmeg like to wash faces (thankfully she realises human skin only needs a light burr setting)..... yep, you've got the image, and my guru wonders why I don't try using the wall for inversions at home!

Fee

jeansyoga - 2005-04-06 6:07 PM

I am very curious to hear what everyone says as well . . . I don't have especially severe back problems, but I was wondering if it's good for wrinkles and fighting gravity in the (ahem) chest area!

I don't do many inversions at home due to my likelihood of breaking the television or my foot or landing on a small animal. But, last night I fashioned a pseudo-inversion, dangling off off the couch. I would not recommend this dangerous pose to anyone, especially with said small animals licking one's face! But, it actually felt kinda good for a while there.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 10:03 AM (#21367 - in reply to #21277)

Expert Yogi

Kabu - well, you can always take the muscle relaxers and sell them on the street to raise funds for the inversion table Just kidding, of course!

You can actually get a good release on the stairs or if you lie on a kitchen table or counter, face down with the whole upper body hanging down. Like the stairs, it is good to have a helper to anchor you (and no animal "helpers"!) unless the fit is just right. A friend told me one of the places she lived had the perfect kitchen counter where she could anchor her feet over the lip of the sink and suspend really well all by herself. Of course, this assumes you have clean enough counters or table. Mine are so cluttered the work required to even try this is not worth it!

PS - don't recommend this head-banging posture. Seems to make my neck and upper back more sore for some reason
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-08 11:43 PM (#21466 - in reply to #21277)

I did find one asana that relieves my neck ~ it's the forward bend but you just hang there, very limp. I think Baron Baptise calls it "RagDoll." Anyway, whatever it's called, it pulls gently on my cervical spine, and I can feel the tension releasing. Yesterday, I think I did that 10 times throughout the day.

I was giving my daughter a spelling test, and I had the words propped up upside down behind me so I could read the words to her while hanging there.

I *should* sell these muscle relaxers. They work, but they bring on terrible nightmares. I wake up pain free and freaked out!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-08 11:57 PM (#21468 - in reply to #21466)

Expert Yogi

Right - a simple standing forward bend is good, too. The difference with hanging from something is that you get the whole weight of the upper body and the full length of the spine can let go - sort of like you are letting go of the neck by releasing from the tailbone. Since you have young kids, you could also go to a playground and hang from your knees on the monkey bars without looking like a complete freak. Kids are good "cover" for weird behaviour like that
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-08 11:58 PM (#21469 - in reply to #21277)

Doesn't it feel great to just hang there? I often sneak off to the restroom at work to do some forward bending like that - stress and a not-so-great chair are tightening everything back up, so it helps even if I can only do it for a minute.

And you're right - it's actually surprisingly easy to multi-task in this pose - great for studying modern art history! One can actually BECOME the art.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)