YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Itty bitty breakthroughs :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-06 11:38 PM (#21349)
Subject: Itty bitty breakthroughs :)

For those of you who've shared my recent struggles with arm balances & overworking my body, I thought I'd share this with ya...

I've taken a bit of a break and rested my body for a few days - not exactly NO exercise, but have given my muscles a rest - and the payoff was definitely worth it! 

The first time I tried the "Strength & Balance" sequence of my fave dvd, I was pathetically weak.  Did quite well with the "balance" but the strength... ugh.  I couldn't do most of the arm balances & fell a LOT.  I was very discouraged.  Well, I waited a few days & tried it again.  I still fell some, but was able to hold the poses longer and steadier.

Today I did it for the third time, and while I still am nowhere near crane pose (that is my dream! LOL) I was able to do a side arm balance with my arm in the air & actually hold it for a good long while - even though I didn't make it as long as the guy on the dvd.  Yet I felt very proud of this progress!

Little by little!  My thanks to those of you who have encouraged me, and to those of you who are discouraged, I tell you - don't give up!

Hugs,

Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 1:06 AM (#21354 - in reply to #21349)
Subject: RE: Itty bitty breakthroughs :

Expert Yogi

It's those little breakthroughs that keep us plugging along
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-07 9:16 PM (#21404 - in reply to #21349)
Subject: RE: Itty bitty breakthroughs :)

Yay, Echo! It's fun to see progress, isn't it? And now you know a little break can be a good thing.

I can't *wait* untill I can do a serious, confident push up. You know, like a guy instead of my current, weenie girl push ups.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 11:26 PM (#21421 - in reply to #21404)

Expert Yogi

Kabu - start from down dog and move to plank - the "top" of the push up. Keep your body in plank and bend your elbows (keep your upper arms touching your body) and lower toward the floor. Repeat a zillion times until the lowering is no longer a belly flop
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-08 7:17 AM (#21427 - in reply to #21421)

Oh, Tourist, we did that about 800 times in class last wed, 600 times on sat, and this wed abot 300 times (but we did some handstands)... ugh... I'm going to look like a line backer!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-08 9:54 AM (#21432 - in reply to #21427)

Expert Yogi

Melissa - you are well on your way to a zillion, then!

While I still can't hold chataranga for long, I can DO it, which is a great feeling and it is one of my favourites to impress people with. My big strong spouse? Can't do chataranga! I think I posted here somewhere about runners and weak upper bodies....
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-08 11:16 AM (#21437 - in reply to #21349)

Tourist, forgive my ignorance, but what is chataranga?

Curious,
Echo

Posted 2005-04-08 11:50 AM (#21438 - in reply to #21437)

Here's a picture of Chataranga Dandasana:

From the plank position slowly lower the body down towards the floor and squeeze the elbows in towards the ribcage. Keep the navel pulled in towards the spine and lift the pelvic floor muscles. Gently tuck the chin in and lengthen the cervical spine. Spread the fingers and thumbs and keep the shoulders away from the ears. Maintain this posture an inch off the floor for 5 to 10 breaths.
Side Note:
Strengthens the wrists, shoulders, abdominals, lower back and thighs. Tones internal organs and increases lung capacity while increasing the heat in the body. Increases isometric strength in the deltoid muscles.

and a variation if it's too difficult initially:

Beginner Chataranga Dandasana.

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-08 11:59 AM (#21439 - in reply to #21349)

OOOOH!!!!!  I'm impressed!!!  Go tourist!   I've seen this & imagine it will be a while before I can do this one either... but for now the crane pose is my little dream

Namaste!
Echo

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-08 3:52 PM (#21449 - in reply to #21439)

Oh, I can do chataranga dandasana alright... problem is, though, w/ the size of my boobs, my chataranga looks a lot like my plank!

Posted 2005-04-08 3:55 PM (#21451 - in reply to #21449)

Melissa! Quit your bragging...but I like that...
CGG
Posted 2005-04-08 5:47 PM (#21453 - in reply to #21432)

While I still can't hold chataranga for long, I can DO it, which is a great feeling and it is one of my favourites to impress people with. My big strong spouse? Can't do chataranga!

I love chataranga myself. Right now I'm working on making my transition from chataranga to Upward Dog more smooth. There is a woman in one of my classes that does this so beautifully. It's inspiring.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 12:08 AM (#21472 - in reply to #21439)

Expert Yogi

Echo - chaturanga will improve your upper body strength and core strength necessary for crane so you might want to try a couple a day, even the easy version. Crane is showier and I am working on mine as well, but falling out of chaturanga is less painful to the nose

And Bruce - control yourself!!

Edited by tourist 2005-04-09 12:10 AM
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-09 2:43 PM (#21505 - in reply to #21349)

I will certainly give it a try!

Isn't it odd - crane pose is in the "beginner" section of my dvd, but chataranga is in the "intermediate"... of course, I suppose it depends what you're combining all these poses with?

tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 3:20 PM (#21508 - in reply to #21505)

Expert Yogi

Echo - I don't know how they decide what is beginner and what isn't. I have some tough poses to teach relatively new students but I woudn't teach most people crane or chaturanga until they had been to class for over a year, I think.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-09 7:31 PM (#21522 - in reply to #21349)

I guess they put the crane in the beginner's section cause it doesn't need that much strenght. Your arms are already straight, so you "only" have to find the right balance. Chaturanga on the other hand requires a good portion of upper body strenght but not much technique. Quite frankly I don't see the logic in that. We do both poses in beginner's style gym yoga. Chaturanga is part of surya namaskar and that's pretty much a part of every class, even beginners. The crane we mostly try towards the end of class, when the teacher is in a more playful mood.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 8:36 PM (#21528 - in reply to #21522)

Expert Yogi

Au contraire mon ami - chaturanga is heavy on the technique. When you get that right you don't need to use so much upper body strength. I really should do daily sun sals, though. It would help me hold the d@mn pose longer and I really need to do that for certification....
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-09 8:39 PM (#21529 - in reply to #21451)

Bragging? ugh... believe me... it's pure complaining!
CGG
Posted 2005-04-09 11:21 PM (#21541 - in reply to #21508)

tourist - 2005-04-09 3:20 PM

Echo - I don't know how they decide what is beginner and what isn't. I have some tough poses to teach relatively new students but I woudn't teach most people crane or chaturanga until they had been to class for over a year, I think.

I wonder if you and Echo are referring to the same asana. There's crane as in bakasana, but I've also had some teachers refer to a standing balence pose as crane. I don't know the sanskrit for the latter but you bend on knee, hold one arm out front, and the other arm straight up.

The first time this came up in a class I was sooooo confused. The teacher wanted us to flow from tree right into crane and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how one was supposed to do that. But then everyone else went remained standing and after observing the others I caught on. For a moment there I was in panic mode though.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-10 12:10 AM (#21544 - in reply to #21349)

This is the crane pose I'm referring to...

Crane pose

BTW, I got this pic from Yoga Journal, and this is (a partial version of) what they have to say about it:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bakasana (Crane Pose)

A compact arm balance, Crane Pose tones and strengthens the abdominal organs and arms.

(bahk-AHS-anna)
baka = crane

Benefits
  • Strengthens arms and wrists
  • Stretches the upper back
  • Strengthens the abdominal muscles
  • Opens the groins
  • Tones the abdominal organs
Contraindications/Cautions
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Pregnancy
Preparatory Poses
Subsequent Poses
Beginners Tip

Beginners tend to move into this pose by lifting their buttocks high away from their heels. In Bakasana try to keep yourself tucked tight, with the heels and buttocks close together. When you are ready to take the feet off the floor, push the upper arms against the shins and draw your inner groins deep into the pelvis to help you with the lift.

Deepen the Pose

The full pose sometimes causes varying degrees of pain in the wrists. Instead of spreading the fingers on the floor, curl them slightly. This should take some of the pressure off the wrists.

Partnering

A partner can help you learn to balance in Bakasana, especially if you are reluctant to lean forward and take your feet off the floor. Squat in the ready position, hands on the floor, up on the balls of your feet. Have the partner stand in front of you. As you lean forward he/she will support your shoulders with his/her hands, to prevent you from toppling forward onto your face or head. Stay for a few breaths, getting a taste for the balanced position, yet secure in the hands of your partner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found it interesting that they list Chataranga AND Plank pose as SUBSEQUENT!  I do plank BEFORE crane... but I suppose the order is not rigid with power yoga?  (I believe I read somewhere that the order is rigid with ashtanga... but I could be wrong - I frequently am! )

I notice they mention the wrists - I may have to try their suggestion on that.  Also I think my own fear of falling & smashing my face is holding me back & I need to somehow work on that.

If anyone would like to read the whole article the address is: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/468_1.cfm

Namaste!
Echo

CGG
Posted 2005-04-10 12:42 AM (#21547 - in reply to #21544)

Oh wow, you are referring to Bakasana! A begining pose? That's so odd. Man I'd hate to see the intermediate and advanced tapes!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-10 7:42 AM (#21556 - in reply to #21547)

Expert Yogi

Just a note that photo ... my Iyengar teacher has told me that the butt should
not be that high in the air when doing the pose. OTOH, in typical Ashtanga
practice, one is occasionally told to place the knees into the arm pits, which
makes the butt go even higher! (If you have the knees in the arm pits, it's
comparatively easy to lift on up from crane to handstand.)
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-10 10:37 AM (#21564 - in reply to #21547)

CGG - 2005-04-10 12:42 AM Oh wow, you are referring to Bakasana! A begining pose? That's so odd. Man I'd hate to see the intermediate and advanced tapes!

I've peeked at them - and definitely WON'T be going there for a long, long while!  LOL

Kabu
Posted 2005-04-10 11:37 AM (#21567 - in reply to #21349)

Okay, I have an alignment question about Chataranga.

I've seen it done like the picture Bruce provided, with the hands closer to the chest. I've also seen it where the hands are a bit further down the body, and the arms are at perfect right angles. In other words, instead of lowering the body directly down from Plank, one would slight shift the upper body forward and THEN lower down. With this type of direction, it is always noted that anything lower than a right angle at the elbow is a no- no.

So I'm confused. I've tried both and like having my hands up closer to my chest much better. I feel stronger. But I want to learn this correctly the first time rather than have to unlearn a bad habit.

And then again, maybe I'm just goofing it up entirely. Help!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-10 11:48 AM (#21569 - in reply to #21567)

Expert Yogi

Both are ok, Kabu. The main thing is to keep the elbows in and shoulder blades moving toward the waist. Geets Iyengar'sbook Preliminary Course (because I don't have LOY nearby at the moment) says palms "in line with your floating ribs" which are way down near your waist. It is definitely a stronger position with the hands that low. Now - how are you turning your toes? Turned under or toenail side down?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)