YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pope John Paul Transcendenal?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

MrD
Posted 2005-04-08 6:18 PM (#21455)
Subject: Pope John Paul Transcendenal?

Like many I've been watching a lot of programs on television about John Paul this week. One of the things that impressed me was that among all of the obvious riches he was clothed in and pagentry that surrounded him, that this pope appeared to be unaffected by this surfeit of material possessions. They were part of the office, but it was the church, the people and his relationship to God that were actually significant to him. Has a truly great man has passed on?

Edited by MrD 2005-04-08 6:20 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-04-08 8:33 PM (#21458 - in reply to #21455)
Subject: RE: Pope John Paul Transcendenal?

I was a big fan of JP II; however, if he were truely "great," would there be any question? I think he was truely a good man, a kind man, a brave man, a moral manĀ and a comitted man with honerable convictions--great? Not quite.

Posted 2005-04-08 9:00 PM (#21459 - in reply to #21455)

I also have been watching the news this week on the passing and funeral of John Paul II. I believe he was truly a great man and will go down in history as one of the most traveled, most forgiving, and one who helped bring down the Iron Curtain. We all know what he stood for and he was one that had respect for others religious beliefs. He and the Mother Teresa are ones that many will remember for their service and humility. They both died poor, and now are living richly.

Namaste2

Edited by namaste2 2005-04-08 9:01 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-08 10:51 PM (#21460 - in reply to #21459)

Expert Yogi

Sigh.....I am of course sorry to see the leader of so many pass on, and
I wish him very well for his next life....

...but...

..... I always found him to be socially repressive and well out of step with
mainline Catholics in the US. I was particularly disappointed with his general
attitude toward birth control and women's rights. While I have only a small hope,
perhaps the next pope will be more progressive.

tourist
Posted 2005-04-09 12:45 AM (#21478 - in reply to #21460)

Expert Yogi

Yeah - I heard someone remarking on how well travelled he was and a little kid being strangely proud that he was the first Pope to use email! The kid was actually pretty cute - had NO clue that no other pope had access to the 'net But the travel thing is similar - no previous pope really had the oppportunity to travel quite like this one has. Although admittedly he seems to have made it a priority and continued to travel well beyond the call of duty and to the point where it was probably best for his health to stay home.

Getting back to the original question though, I agree that he did seem to be pretty unattached to the pomp and glory stuff. I get the impression he would have worked just as hard and as diligently whether he was pope, cardinal, bishop, parish priest. No matter what his politics, he was a pretty amazing person.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-12 9:12 AM (#21696 - in reply to #21460)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2005-04-08 10:51 PM

Sigh.....I am of course sorry to see the leader of so many pass on, and
I wish him very well for his next life....

...but...

..... I always found him to be socially repressive and well out of step with
mainline Catholics in the US. I was particularly disappointed with his general
attitude toward birth control and women's rights. While I have only a small hope,
perhaps the next pope will be more progressive.

I absolutely had no feelings of this man's death. The way they had him lying on that table with a small piece of wood under his shoes - all dressed up, made me chuckle every time I saw it last week. I just went to my cousin's funeral the day after the pope's and I was so completely wishing I didn't have to be there and hear their empty words that made absolutely no sense at all to me, much less to them. Anyway, then they put their dead bodies in a sealed box covered with vaults...it gave me the creeps to think that the body had to endure this..all the worms and the rotting body inside that box...rather than a natural way of returning back to the earth...not to mention all the earth's space that is being used up for this practice
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-12 10:04 AM (#21701 - in reply to #21696)

I watched a travel program last night that shows one man's journey along the old Silk Route. At one point he came across a Tibetan sky burial. The bodies are crushed and dismembered and then left upon the stones in the wind for birds and small animals to eat. All that was left to see were some bones fragments and shards of the clothing and other possessions that the deceased had upon them at their death. It was both eerily empty and lonely and yet wonderful at the same time.

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-12 11:36 AM (#21713 - in reply to #21701)

Expert Yogi

Fee, that is the typical Tibetan Bon Religion Death Ceremony. There were some Native American Tribes that had the same ritual as I am sure in South America they still do too. The Tibetan Buddhists Cremate the dead bodies as due Hindu's. I told my husband to take me to India when I die, please do not put me in one of those $8,000 - $20,000 boxes, do NOT have a preacher chosen by the funeral home to come read the bible or better yet, do NOT let my Father bring his Baptist minister to come tell all my friends and family that we are all heathens and sinners. Instead, invite the Hindu priests to do a Hindu Death Ceremony and tell my family to please deal with it and have some respect and honor my wishes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)