YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another stupid question...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-10 12:36 AM (#21546)
Subject: Another stupid question...

(I'm full of these stupid questions, aren't I?  LOL  But that's how we learn I suppose...)  At any rate...

When I first started practicing yoga I taped Wai Lana's shows from PBS, and I used these tapes for a few years, more or less halfheartedly - she just really didn't inspire me much (whereas my new dvd has me all obsessed now!  LOL)

Anyway, my question is, does anybody know what type of yoga Wai Lana teaches?  I followed her show for something like 3 years and I still have no idea, nor can I find anything online to tell me.  She doesn't say much, other than "this pose is very helpful for relieving constipation..." and the like.  Which is great, but just... not for me.  But as my new dvd is power yoga, and I've become so much more interested in learning about all kinds of yoga, I've gotten more and more curious as to what exactly Wai Lana is teaching!

Can anybody tell me?  Much appreciated!

Namaste!
Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-10 6:04 PM (#21588 - in reply to #21546)
Subject: RE: Another stupid question...

I know Wai Lana only from the late-night tele-shopping shows here on SAfrican TV. The few things you can see there look for me like basic Hatha. In the ad they call it "Wai Lana Yoga". So I guess she's got a trademark on it and doesn't particularly follow the Iyengar or any other route. I was very disturbed by her clothing.

tourist
Posted 2005-04-10 8:04 PM (#21596 - in reply to #21588)

Expert Yogi

Yes, she seems to not be affilated with anyone in particular. Her bio on her website which begins: "It would be difficult, if not impossible, to find anyone who has had as much influence as Wai Lana in increasing the worldwide appreciation of the beauty and benefits of the ancient art of yoga" doesn't say anything about her training or studies but does say a lot about her dvd's videos, music etc. It also says she is "revered as a pioneer in the field of yoga". OK.........

Well, one of my students has one of her mats and it is indeed very pretty.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-10 10:47 PM (#21604 - in reply to #21546)

Why NOT try to ask Wai Lana herself your question?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-04-11 9:56 AM (#21620 - in reply to #21604)

Expert Yogi

Good point, Neel. She does have a guest book on her site so you could indeed ask her, Echo.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-11 10:49 AM (#21624 - in reply to #21546)

Good idea!  I think I will.  She was how I first got into yoga, and while I enjoyed her shows, I never got into it like I feel now.  She seems more about promoting her products than really teaching... Her website is all self-promotion with very little helpful information, which I don't care for.  I just never really learned much from her, other than what is good to relieve constipation or cramps - LOL!

I see they sell her tapes here on yoga.com too...

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-11 10:52 AM (#21625 - in reply to #21588)

afroyogi -  I was very disturbed by her clothing.

Hey Stephan, did you know that she makes & sells that very loud clothing on her website, in case you'd like to buy some for your wife?  LOL  It is pretty scary, isn't it?!  I always found it loud and distracting!

tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-11 11:50 AM (#21628 - in reply to #21546)

I had never heard of her, but checked out her website. Her clothes seem totally impractical for yoga!! Seems like they would get in the way! Colorful, though.

I'm curious to what you find out!

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-11 12:11 PM (#21630 - in reply to #21546)

Dear Echo:
Regardless of what you wrote, looking at many Yoga products and other things available in Market now a days, Wai Lana, herself is

- a very good Yoga Performer.

- she has a fantastic personality

- she displays certain qualities of a true Yoga Practitioner

- she is NOT a bluff or fluff, as I have seen at many other places.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-11 1:22 PM (#21635 - in reply to #21546)

Don't get me wrong, Neel - I'm genuinely curious about her and her style of yoga.  I followed her show for 2 or 3 years and wouldn't have done so if I didn't derive some satisfaction from it.  I just never learned much about yoga from her, nor developed the drive to learn more that I feel now, since I've tried some other things.

I did write her an email and am anxious to see if I get a response - I'll let you all know what I find out!

Namaste,

Echo

afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-11 5:44 PM (#21649 - in reply to #21625)

Empress Echo - 2005-04-11 4:52 PM
Hey Stephan,

Just Stefan please. I'm from a very poor family and my parents just couldn't afford the deluxe version with two letters.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-11 9:52 PM (#21662 - in reply to #21649)

Expert Yogi

Not Steven, either, right?
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-11 10:07 PM (#21665 - in reply to #21649)

afroyogi - 2005-04-11 5:44 PM Just Stefan please. I'm from a very poor family and my parents just couldn't afford the deluxe version with two letters.

ROFL!  Ooops!   Sorry about that!  Actually I have a friend named Stephen who goes a little nuts when people spell it "Steven" or call him "Steve" - and I don't blame him, truly!  I actually have a first AND last name that people are constantly spelling and/or pronouncing horribly wrong... I'm determined to marry somebody named "Smith" or "Jones" just to simplify things, at least halfway. 

Namaste,

Echo (but of course not really... )

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)