YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Seane Corn Workshops
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

itchytummy
Posted 2005-04-10 10:49 PM (#21605)
Subject: Seane Corn Workshops

I just wanted to share my experiences with some workshops I recently did. I did the Seane Corn workshops here in Las Vegas on April 1-3. Let me just say, WOW! I found her teaching style to be physically demanding (the fact that I was fasting at the time I did the workshops could have also played a factor in increasing the difficulty factor for me).

The first day we worked on detox. Seane created this sequence that was full of twists that really helped with the "impurities" in my body (let's just say, I had no issues with going to the bathroom the next day!). I would have to say day one of the 3 day workshop series was the most physically demanding. In addition, she was very technical, giving the medical names of all sorts of tendons, ligaments, muscles, and bones. I could tell that many of the people in the room were thinking "What's that?" when she started getting technical, saying stuff like "This helps open the psoas, or this loosens the iliotibial band, this exercise stretches out the gracilis, this really opens the connective tissue near the condyle"... and so on. All in all that day was interesting and very informative, but since I had gone to experience the spiritual aspects of her teaching, I was slightly disappointed.

The next day, we worked on the chakras. We went through each and every chakra doing work to balance out either overactive or underactive chakra energy flows.

The last day, we worked on really working on the spiritual aspects of yoga. This was hands down, the best day out of the entire 3 day workshop series. What we did was really hard to describe. I don't know how to describe what happened really, but hat I can say is I cried, was really touched, and was definitely a lot more motivated to go out into the world and spread peace and love.

Has anyone else done workshops with Seane Corn, if so what did you think, and what did you do?

Edited by itchytummy 2005-04-10 10:50 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fifi!
Posted 2005-04-12 3:33 PM (#21743 - in reply to #21605)
Subject: RE: Seane Corn Workshops

Wow, now I'm inspired. I live in LV, too. I've taken classes at that studio before which weren't very challenging to me so I just figured any workshops would be a lot of money for a beginner-type yoga class. Sounds like I am wrong. I hope they host Seane again in the future.

By the way, itchytummy, how's the class with live music on Friday evenings? Have you done it before? Is it just a beginner class with music?

thanks - fifi

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-13 3:08 PM (#21844 - in reply to #21743)

Expert Yogi

Pardon my ignorance, but how does she pronounce "Seane"?
[Not like the man's name "Sean", I hope.]
MrD
Posted 2005-04-15 8:55 PM (#22086 - in reply to #21605)

itchytummy - 2005-04-10 10:49 PM
The last day, we worked on really working on the spiritual aspects of yoga. This was hands down, the best day out of the entire 3 day workshop series. What we did was really hard to describe. I don't know how to describe what happened really, but hat I can say is I cried, was really touched, and was definitely a lot more motivated to go out into the world and spread peace and love.

Has anyone else done workshops with Seane Corn, if so what did you think, and what did you do?

What were some of the things she did to work on the Spiritual aspects of yoga? I understand that she has a gift in that area.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-15 10:02 PM (#22102 - in reply to #21605)

i am hoping that you will come back to this post and tell us more!

i am intrigued and i feel like you are teasing us!

was it a really deep, meaningful personal experience? i for one, would love to hear the details if you have the time
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-16 7:19 AM (#22113 - in reply to #21844)

Extreme Veteran

Bay Guy - 2005-04-13 3:08 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but how does she pronounce "Seane"?
[Not like the man's name "Sean", I hope.]

I'm pretty sure she does prounounce it like "Shawn" (like the man's name). Why is that bad? I think "Seen" would be worse.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-16 7:47 AM (#22118 - in reply to #22113)

Expert Yogi

I just thought that the trailing "e" would imply something more...
....think of other Irish names like Sinead or Seamus.
itchytummy
Posted 2005-04-21 9:39 PM (#22609 - in reply to #22086)

MrD - 2005-04-15 5:55 PM
What were some of the things she did to work on the Spiritual aspects of yoga? I understand that she has a gift in that area.

It's hard to describe the experience if you weren't there. But I'll do my best to try and explain anyway.

To answer your question, she first talked to us about really focusing on doing a physical practice with an aware, conscious, and above all a loving mind and intentions.
Before we got into our practice she demonstrated what she meant by doing a Surya Namaskar B (Sun Salutation B) by dedicating it to someone she loved with cancer. It was so beautiful I almost cried. She was careful about how she moved, moving with grace, purpose, care, and attentive as to how she placed her hands and feet. I could feel the love oozing out of her as she moved. We also did a small ceremony in which we wrote loving prayers out to people we knew (those we liked and didn't like), as well as wrote a prayer to spreading peace and love to the entire world. Throughout our practice she also emphasized sending out positive energy so as to help transform the world. Near the end, we did an exercise in which the whole class visualized connecting ourselves to each other and the whole world, as well the universe and Mother Earth.

All in all the experience was so positive and beautiful, I was moved to tears.

If any of you have any more question please feel free to ask. I'd be happy to share!

Edited by itchytummy 2005-04-21 9:40 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-21 10:32 PM (#22632 - in reply to #22609)

Expert Yogi

How does she pronounce her name?
itchytummy
Posted 2005-04-21 11:10 PM (#22641 - in reply to #22632)

Basically, like you would pronounce a name spelled like Shawn or Sean.
TGirl
Posted 2005-07-23 12:07 PM (#28000 - in reply to #21605)
Subject: RE: Seane Corn

She has a couple of DVDs out that I was thinking of purchasing. Has anyone tried them? Any opinions?
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-07-23 1:18 PM (#28004 - in reply to #28000)

I had her newest DVD.  It's a 2 dvd set.  The first one is a pretty good beginner level Led routine.  Unfortunately, the second one is just the routine.  It's not led, so unless you know the routine from the first disc, you are going to have to watch to go along w/ the disc.

I'm not a fan of hers anyway, so I gave it away
tourist
Posted 2005-07-23 2:31 PM (#28011 - in reply to #28004)

Expert Yogi

Yeah - something about all that hair....
Mitch
Posted 2005-07-25 9:18 AM (#28078 - in reply to #21605)

I have the second DVD (there's two: beginner and beginner/intermediate). I'll use it occasionally if I'm feeling lazy or injured. Not to imply that it's easy, but it's a slow flow with a heavy focus on alignment. On one hand I like it, but on the other hand, I rarely use it, so maybe I don't really like it.

Then again, I'm not a fan a Yoga Shakti, either, so my credibility might be a little thin.
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-07-27 12:31 PM (#28250 - in reply to #21605)

I have both her DVD sets (Session 1 is beginner, Session 2 beginner/intermediate, and each is a 2-DVD set ... at least I think the first one is a set & I know the second one is). By the time I bought them the first one was too elementary / too slow for me. The second one is in my rotation. It's actually got three routines: a 90-minute routine with lots of explanation, some meditation, etc., and a 40-minute routine with less talk (and fewer asanas, no meditation & shorter savasana). I use both of these, but only when I want an easier/slower practice ... like the morning after a tough power yoga class. The third is the "breath practice" which is the one with no vocal cuing. If you did the practice often enough to memorize it, that might be ok, but it's not of use to me.

I really like her "take" on yoga & spirituality, and I like the Session 2 practices when I am in that sort of mood. I learned some things about alignment from this DVD too.

-Laura
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-07-27 3:47 PM (#28256 - in reply to #21605)

I rented a DVD of Seane's off Netflix. I got bored after 10 minutes and sent it back. Too much talking and not enough yoga.

Not my cup of chai.

laurajhawk
Posted 2005-07-28 6:58 PM (#28342 - in reply to #28256)

I fast-forward thru that first 10 min

-Laura
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-07-28 10:31 PM (#28361 - in reply to #28011)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-07-23 2:31 PM

Ms. Corne is of course most stylish with "all that hair", and it appears
that she is in popular ascendancy, competing with Natasha R, Ana
Forrest, and others who seem to be reaching for the yoga product/endorsement/workshop
market. It's a living, of course, but it must take a toll on the practice of yoga.
(And, to top it off, you get reviewed online! F.T.)
bigmamma
Posted 2005-07-29 10:29 AM (#28392 - in reply to #21605)

She was in the Bryan Kest video set (back when he had hair). Interesting to see . . .
easternsun
Posted 2005-07-31 9:24 PM (#28575 - in reply to #28392)

bigmamma - 2005-07-30 11:29 PM

She was in the Bryan Kest video set (back when he had hair). Interesting to see . . .

my roomie and i used to watch those videos (because we couldnt actually DO them) and comment on this one "super bendy chick". now i know who that was!

itchytummy
Posted 2005-09-01 11:34 PM (#30778 - in reply to #28361)

Bay Guy - 2005-07-28 7:31 PM

Forrest, and others who seem to be reaching for the yoga product/endorsement/workshop
market. It's a living, of course, but it must take a toll on the practice of yoga.

Hey...I'm offended! I happen to be a chick w/ lots of hair! (On my head, mind you...body hair is another story. I'm not Chewbacca.) Besides, what's wrong with making a living off of what you love to do? I happen to think I contribute a lot to the yoga community where I am. (As a yoga instructor I take great offense!) Humph!

Edited by itchytummy 2005-09-01 11:38 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-09-02 12:30 AM (#30796 - in reply to #30778)

Expert Yogi

It is just so "yoga teacher-y". I try to be a living example of how to be a yogini without having waist length hair and floor length skirts. I do reserve the right to keep my Birkenstocks, however
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-09-02 7:47 AM (#30812 - in reply to #30778)

Expert Yogi

itchytummy - 2005-09-01 11:34 PM

Bay Guy - 2005-07-28 7:31 PM

Hey...I'm offended! I happen to be a chick w/ lots of hair! (On my head, mind you...body hair is another story. I'm not Chewbacca.) Besides, what's wrong with making a living off of what you love to do? I happen to think I contribute a lot to the yoga community where I am. (As a yoga instructor I take great offense!) Humph!

I think hair is great, and you should enjoy having it. For us men, there's a tendency
for hair to migrate from the top of the head to other parts of the body as we age.

itchytummy
Posted 2005-09-06 11:35 PM (#31154 - in reply to #30812)

Bay Guy - 2005-09-02 4:47 AM

I think hair is great, and you should enjoy having it. For us men, there's a tendency
for hair to migrate from the top of the head to other parts of the body as we age.

You guys never cease to crack me up!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-11-06 9:57 AM (#36001 - in reply to #21605)

I just went to one of her workshop classes in Chicago yesterday. The class was definitely physically demanding, boy am I sore today!! I was still shaking hours later.

The discussion portion was a little disappointing, though. Her point was basically that we must look for the lesson in everything that happens to us, good or bad, and that we must take the self-responsibility and self-confidence to embrace everything with love and then send that out into the world. I kinda felt like "DUH, who doesn't know that?" I guess it's good to have a reminder now and then. Anybody else have a take on that? I was really wondering if everyone else in the room was having some kind of epiphany while I was going "Blah, blah, blah - let's get to the class part!" Maybe I was just cranky from the long drive.

I'm glad I experienced it, very interesting and fun. I'm not sure I would drive 3 hours each way in one day again to take her classes, but it was excellent to see what it was like this time!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)