YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram thrashing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-13 10:49 PM (#21882 - in reply to #21877)
Subject: RE: Bikram thrashing

Expert Yogi

Gogirl,

Yes, I am American. I also have an Indian husband and I understand this culture because of that. (Bikram is my husband's brother - they are Chetria and they take that very seriously, as do I) That is not saying I am an expert, I am saying it because ever since I started reading this Bikram forum, all I've seen is a bunch of piss, moaning and complaining about Bikram. I enjoy my Bikram practice, I enjoy Bikram and I enjoyed reading his book and learning everything I could about the sequence and the instructions on how to do it. I do not care about his personal life, and whatever he does to teach is his business. He sure helped me through the practice when I didn't get some of things I needed from my original teacher - by doing his audio tape and his book, it was chock full of information for me to do it successfully.

My problem is that I would love to see all the negativity vanish..period! Just because I come back with my what would seem to you as Anti-American, is simply my observation of the ignorance that crosses this board where Bikram is concerned. It is also that I do get tired of the American mind set sometimes, but I can assure you that my parents and their grandparents were not like this new American trend of aggressiveness, No, I do not like it and I admit that! I'm sorry you take offense, but look at how you judge people and make fun and how arrogant you all are sometimes?? Not to mention that half of the gossip and talk about Bikram really should not be here at all. If you all were really concerned and compassionate about helping others, you would not be participating in this Bikram Bashing thread and adding to the Negativity. It is not good for any Yoga practice..even the ones bashing. You may not reap the karmas now of your actions, but you will one day. Actually, the only reason I waste my time on this thread at all is because I merely was pointing out the BS and how I saw it. I too like to learn more about my practice, unfortunately for the 3 mos. I've been here, I've learned more from 1 person, that is Neel and he doesn't even hardly hang out in the Bikram section. What is wrong with that picture??? Of course, no one agrees with me, I can appreciate that...I've been dealing with this all my life in America..and that is why I can sympathize with Bikram and why I love the Indian Hindu culture, because whether you like it or not, most things are generally accepted and what may be for one person, may not be for another and that is the true beauty of it all is being accepted and freedom to do so. I do not see that here in America and I certainly do not see it on this Bikram forum. It also means that you do NOT loose sight of showing respect (which is another thing that is NOT being done here on this forum) and traditionally, you should have the utmost respect for your Guru and Bikram is a Yoga Guru...because you are doing the practice and teachings that came from him and his Guru - and it doesn't matter which guru, it is still the Yoga teachings and all guru's should be respected. As far as the dislikes you have for his behaviors or whatever, that is still NO excuse for being mean and ugly!! Like I said previously, Hot Yogi, Miss Dee and Tourist and others, the way you guys have demonstrated yourselves, I would never step foot in your studios because I do not want to deal with your Negative energy and the energy you harbor towards Bikram and anyone who happens to like him, or benefit from his teachings. I'm sorry you have a problem with him. Just because of the reasons you say you teach Bikram and as far as recovering your money loss is no excuse and is only degrading to the Yoga teachings. I do not accept this.

I too learned some things from a Bikram trained instructor..I learned alot. I happen to know she also has her issues surrounding Bikram, and that is why I learned what I could and got the H*&; out of there so I could never hear it and so I would not loose respect for her as my teacher when I did hear it - I practice at home. So, having that said, I wish you the best of luck in learning how to do the asana's properly, safely and find a sense of enjoyment for the practice as it really is a great set of asana's to do for your body. As far as the Qi statement, the only thing that drains my Qi, is reading this forum sometimes and dealing with hateful and over cynical people.

So, to the original poster, are you regretting that you opened this can of bees???

I am going to close for the evening...and all I have to say is Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti
Top of the page Bottom of the page
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-13 11:00 PM (#21886 - in reply to #21810)

I find it quite offensive for a teacher to stand in front of a room full of students and discuss his sex life, his genitals, and brag about his wealth. (it's not about having money and cars- it your attitude about them.)

indeed B's Balls and Big Pimping has nothing to do with The Yoga. and I fail to see how this sort of attention is beneficial to The Yoga. (yes, yes I know sex and scandal sells...it doesn't make it a good idea to use them to 'sell' yoga)

B owns a business that repairs cars. That's common knowledge. The vintage picture of him pulling a truck with his teeth (or maybe just pulling the rope over his shoulder) is at the studio as well as in his home. It's all part of his history- like being a "carnival-type" performer. You know, beds of nails... a truck driving over his chest. The last few nights of TT are all night marathon of B delightfully showing home movie after home movie of these 'tricks'. Swallowing and "unswallowing" goldfish-- Between endless reel of tape- exaggerated stories of great wonder are told. I remember fighting sleep- then finally just leaving. This was the REAL torture chamber.

dee
ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-13 11:21 PM (#21888 - in reply to #21673)

Cyndi wrote...

Of course, no one agrees with me

Actually, your voice was one that helped me decide to come back online here. I find value in much of what you post.

and then...

and all I have to say is Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti

Which I find completely amusing due to my recollection of Emmie (one of Bikram's senior teachers) saying something like, "This aint your Om Shakti Shanti Yoga - this is Bikram Yoga!"

I gotta love it.

ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-13 11:25 PM (#21889 - in reply to #21886)

miss dee - 2005-04-13 11:00 PM

The vintage picture of him pulling a truck with his teeth (or maybe just pulling the rope over his shoulder) is at the studio as well as in his home. It's all part of his history- like being a "carnival-type" performer. You know, beds of nails... a truck driving over his chest.

Reminds me of the old Ripley's Believe it or Not glimpses into the bizarre world of gurus and shamans from when I was a child. I do believe the bed of nails actually came from a yogi culture rather than a carnival one.

For what it's worth...

miss dee
Posted 2005-04-13 11:34 PM (#21890 - in reply to #21877)

GoGirl Said:
but I have been wasted and almost sick after a "too hot" class.
Hydration is important and sometimes, leaving hte class is important.
:::end quoted material::::

I agree. bikram yoga (the heat) can drain you too much if the mix is wrong.

Some bad mixes with heat include: too much food too close to class, too little food too long before class, too much water, not enough water, alcohol use the night before, stress, unfulfilling sleep experiences, hormones, emotions, blah, blah blah. I have found you never know.
you prepare as much as you can- you go in the room see how it goes and listen to your body.

Absolutely, the best thing to do sometimes is to leave the class. I'll admit to occasionally slipping out into the hall while teaching for a breath or two when the students are "busy" during water breaks or in savasana. It saved the class more than once I assure you. I agree with jackiecat- as a full-time Bikram/Hot Yoga teacher and a bikram/hot yogi- sometimes the heat can be too much. Ice water in class helps alot. So does milk after class.

Looking forward to 6AM hot yoga!
dee

Edited by miss dee 2005-04-13 11:36 PM
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-13 11:39 PM (#21891 - in reply to #21889)

ebenjen - 2005-04-13 10:25 PM

miss dee - 2005-04-13 11:00 PM

The vintage picture of him pulling a truck with his teeth (or maybe just pulling the rope over his shoulder) is at the studio as well as in his home. It's all part of his history- like being a "carnival-type" performer. You know, beds of nails... a truck driving over his chest.

Reminds me of the old Ripley's Believe it or Not glimpses into the bizarre world of gurus and shamans from when I was a child. I do believe the bed of nails actually came from a yogi culture rather than a carnival one.

For what it's worth...

my carnival reference was just for descriptive purposes. I dont know the origin of that trick.
true though, one man's siddhi is another man's side-show.

Dee
ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-13 11:46 PM (#21895 - in reply to #21891)

one man's siddhi is another man's side-show

That's what I wish I had said! Thanks.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-14 6:00 AM (#21908 - in reply to #21882)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2005-04-13 10:49 PM

No, I do not like it and I admit that! I'm sorry you take offense, but look at how you judge people and make fun and how arrogant you all are sometimes??

If you don't like judging people, making fun and arrogance then you certainly won't like being in the presence of The Guru.

It's interesting that the person who feels this thread is harmful and negative is the one contributing the longest post.

And for God's sake, it's "lose", not "loose". You lose sight, you don't "loose" it!
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-14 10:06 AM (#21920 - in reply to #21673)

So why contribute to any negativity? Why share your obviously negative attitude about Americans?

I happen to find a lot of what we call American culture funny as well. We are definitely a culture where bigger=better (real or imagined), and making ourselves busy (or appear to be) makes us seem important and therefore good. When you compare this country to many others, we are extremely young, and a youngish country, like a young person, goes through trial and error to find an identity that works for them. Throughout my life I've had several international friends who have embraced the American life while they were here and appreciated it for what it was. The enjoyed the warmth with which they were welcomed, compared to their own cultures and I've never once heard any one of them (even the Frenchies) refer to "you all Americans" as you did in your post, Cyndi. Despite your claims of positivity and non-judgementalism, your words belie your true sentiments. If nothing else, it seems that the rest of the posters on this board and this thread, have been expressing their own opinions about Bikram the man without hiding behind a guise of sunshine and light. And this begs the question, if we were to be discussing George Bush (again), would your reaction be the same? Would you accuse others of negativity for pointing out his flaws -and we've all got 'em - or find fault with those who disagree with his methods of protecting the country. I think that protecting the country is a worthwhile endeavor, as is teaching yoga. But it is possible to disagree with the man OR the method, without it being an issue of disrespect. Then again, this must be my simple-minded American view.

gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-14 10:12 AM (#21921 - in reply to #21673)

Extreme Veteran

It is also that I do get tired of the American mind set sometimes, but I can assure you that my parents and their grandparents were not like this new American trend of aggressiveness, No, I do not like it and I admit that! I'm sorry you take offense, but look at how you judge people and make fun and how arrogant you all are sometimes??

Cyndi, Here is where you pi##ed me off. We are not all the same. That message is the basis
of combating racism. We ( Americans) are all different.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-14 10:42 AM (#21924 - in reply to #21882)

Expert Yogi

>>Hot Yogi, Miss Dee and Tourist and others, the way you guys have demonstrated yourselves, I would never step foot in your studios because I do not want to deal with your Negative energy and the energy you harbor towards Bikram<<

Cyndi - I need you to know that if you are making broad statements like this that you need to be careful about who you name. I have NEVER said anything negative about Bikram. I have made comments that I personally would not like the heat and that I don't recommend the practice for everyone. Yes, I have commented that some people might benefit from learning more about alignment to prevent or heal injuries (when asked). I admit to poking you with a little stick from time to time in order to irritate you and provide some amusement for myself but generally that is meant to be funny and not to make you think I am a negative person. I think if you were to step foot in my classroom you would find that I am very positive and encouraging. Too bad we can't find out.

PS - I am not American, either.

Edited by tourist 2005-04-14 10:47 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-14 10:45 AM (#21926 - in reply to #21921)

Expert Yogi

This is where I get off the boat. I'm not going to stick around here and argue with you guys. Bash me too all you want, I don't care. Guess what?? I have nothing to lose or gain here. I certainly do not have any attachments to Bikram or this forum. I can turn this computer off at any time and I can ignore this. If you guys have a problem with me being anti-American, I really don't care, but the truth of the matter is, I have a problem with the entire human race and the direction that human lives are being directed to due to technology, screwed up minds that are leading our countries and pure greed. This is a national problem. If you are intimidated by my comments, perhaps it is something that is unresolved in your own mind...NOT mine. I'm sorry I hit a nerve. But, the real issue here on this forum is to share and exchange information about the Yoga Practice (I thought), and the real issue for all of us on a global level is that all human beings are striving for HAPPINESS, that is what we ALL really want. Happiness does not come when Negativity is present and that was my entire point!! I am not a racist, Eric Rudolph is a racist and he hid in my area for 6 years. I just found out he had dynamite planted on some of the areas that I hike in the National Forest. So, don't tell me I'm that, I am not. As for us being the same, NO, we are not the same as far as our levels of understanding and knowledge, but we are the same as far as being human, and we are not different in that respect. We all need the same things in order to survive and live in peace and harmony on this planet - the only way to start to achieve that is to combat Negativity and promote a positive environment so everyone can feel welcomed and nutured.

BTW, in Italy, they are terrified of Americans because they think we are really aggressive. My in-laws are afraid of my culture...do you know how embarrassing that is to me?? That is not what I want for my country, it is certainly not what the Native Americans wanted either when they gave up this land to the white man! or should I say when it was stolen from them???
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-14 10:56 AM (#21927 - in reply to #21924)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-04-14 10:42 AM

>>Hot Yogi, Miss Dee and Tourist and others, the way you guys have demonstrated yourselves, I would never step foot in your studios because I do not want to deal with your Negative energy and the energy you harbor towards Bikram<<

Cyndi - I need you to know that if you are making broad statements like this that you need to be careful about who you name. I have NEVER said anything negative about Bikram. I have made comments that I personally would not like the heat and that I don't recommend the practice for everyone. Yes, I have commented that some people might benefit from learning more about alignment to prevent or heal injuries (when asked). I admit to poking you with a little stick from time to time in order to irritate you and provide some amusement for myself but generally that is meant to be funny and not to make you think I am a negative person. I think if you were to step foot in my classroom you would find that I am very positive and encouraging. Too bad we can't find out.

PS - I am not American, either.

Actually, Tourist you are American, because Canada is North America and used to be considered one. Anyway, I'll respect your wishes not to be included as an American, I can certainly relate to that!! As to my comments about you stating something negative about Bikram - I never said you did. However, because of your previous comments towards me and your "kidding" around as you call it to irritate me, that is why I feel the way I do. If I were practicing Yoga in your studio, do you think for one minute I would want someone to irritate me??? NO way Sister!! Anyway, I have no hard feelings toward you, I like to read your posts - that is as far as goes for now. If I'm ever in your area in Canada, I might stop by and ask you if you would like to join me for a cup of chai though! The question for me is...would you be welcomed if I did or would you throw a cup of chai at me??
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-14 11:42 AM (#21932 - in reply to #21673)

Sure, some Italians may be afraid of us because they think we're aggressive. It is safe to say that many Europeans in general have some issues with the way this country is being run. Then again, we're also a bit flabbergasted about the amount of vacation time they have and things that are part of their culture. But, the majority of Europeans that I have met have been open and interested in meeting individual Americans and finding out for themselves that we are not all the "stereotypical american". You know what? The French people I've met have been extremely friendly and warm, the Italians I've met are kind and generous, the Japanese exchange students I've hosted and befriended have been curious and open, and I could go on. So I find it rather interesting that it is another American who is embarassed by our culture and interested in making such a distinct seperation between herself and the rest of them. Most of the international people I've met, as well the Americans that I consider to be my friends understand and act on the supposition that we ARE all the same - we are all humans with wants and needs and varying backgrounds. So to lump all Americans together as lesser people is really rather insulting. Now, having lived in the South, I can certainly understand that some of this comes from being in that environment - there is a lot of narrow-minded rhetoric in taht region of the country and it can be frustrating - but there are quite a few people down there, and throughout the country who are NOT this American cariacature that you seem to have in mind.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-14 11:55 AM (#21934 - in reply to #21932)

Expert Yogi

Excuse me Lora, I did not LUMP anyone together and living in the South has NOTHING to do with anything!! I did lump us all together as human beings were concerned for our survival and our human responsibility. It is not my fault that the *others* being lumped into this category, are aggressive and actually they are the ones that are anti-American. I didn't seperate anyone...THEY DID. My roots as an American are very deep. I have family all over the place. My parents were very instrumental in structuring America what it is today, the positive aspects. Yes, I do have a problem with humans that are dismantling that structure & foundation...they are destroying everything that was put in place. Now it is happening on a global level too. I'm not going into specific details about this because I don't have time for this and I really don't think you have an open mind to sit and have a nice conversation about it. Therefore, I will leave this alone for now. But don't preach to me about stereotypes and the American Cariacature, you don't know me as a person and what I know through my experience. Especially from never having met me in person. Have a good day.
Gracie
Posted 2005-04-14 12:53 PM (#21938 - in reply to #21673)

Yawn, how boring is this discussion? Honestly lets move on and talk about something else. We're just going in circles and this has all been discussed before.
HotYogi
Posted 2005-04-14 1:06 PM (#21939 - in reply to #21938)

Yeah Gracie, I agree it's time to move on from this thread. It was fun guys.

I think some one's a few tea bags short of a full pot of chai
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-14 1:28 PM (#21940 - in reply to #21939)

Expert Yogi

Funny you should say that about the Chai....If I remember correctly, in Japan, the tradition was after a long heated debate or had a war between an enemy, you sat down with the group or the enemy and had a cup of Chai. Soo, I can't wait till the day that we ALL sit down after a 90 minute long Bikram class together and have a cup of chai!!! We'll all be too pooped to throw it at each other and very thirsty indeed enough to drink it...better have several pots ready
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-14 1:46 PM (#21944 - in reply to #21673)

But not TOO much chai, as we might all keel over and die from over-hydration!

Of course, I would already be dead after 10 minutes of yoga in the hot room. I salute those who can do it; it is not my cup of beer!
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-14 3:25 PM (#21948 - in reply to #21673)

Yeah, I might have to vote for a Guiness or cider after that....
Gracie
Posted 2005-04-14 3:44 PM (#21950 - in reply to #21673)

Ohhh Lora have you had a snakebite (think that's what it's called???), which is guiness and cider? We had those all over Ireland, and let me tell you, they are sooooooo good.
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-14 4:52 PM (#21957 - in reply to #21673)

OOOH! I love Snakebites (of this kind, certainly not the kind on the kindness to animals thread!)! It's like the new(ish) honey barbecue fritos - first you get the barbecue part (or the cider part) and THEN you get the frito part (or the guiness part). You don't EVER have to choose!

I like to keep my fridge happy by storing a nice dark brew and a funky cider...Right now I'm working on Newcastle and Woodchuck Raspberry Cider. Yummy! One a night seems to be doing quite a wonderful job of getting me through this last week of the semester. AutoCAD is MUCH more tolerable with a Newcastle.
seandre
Posted 2005-05-05 7:44 AM (#23521 - in reply to #21673)

I consider the Bikram style one of the best. The series of 26 poses is awesome and works the entire body. In addition, I'm not sore in my hamstrings and lower back after a bikram session.
AS1
Posted 2010-12-27 3:06 PM (#126631 - in reply to #21673)
Subject: Re: Bikram thrashing

New User

Here's my 2 cents:

I went to my first Bikram class yesterday. I've been practicing at Moksha studios here in Canada for about a year now. I've heard the Moksha series was very similar to Bikram and even though I love my home studio I figured I should give Bikram a shot so I know about it from personal experience.

Overall, I didn't NOT enjoy the class: the series was challenging, I experienced some new poses, the studio was nice, and it was a good workout.

Overall however, I don't think it even compares to my home studio. For one, Bikram studios basically only offers one class (I know there's the advanced 2.5hr classes too but they don't take place very often and it's a lot of time to commit on a regular basis). I love the variety of going to Moksha classes (which are always slightly different from each-other), Ashtanga, Vinyasa, and especially Yin classes. Experiencing new poses/challenges/experiences is one of the most rewarding parts of my practice. I can't imagine going through the same series of poses every day. Yoga has so much to offer, why limit it to 26 poses??? And then there's the teaching style: frankly I don't want someone barking at me and telling me to "force" and "push" while I'm practicing (that's what I do Crossfit for). I want someone to instruct, guide, and mentor me through through a physically challenging AND meditative Yoga practice.

I will go back to go back to Bikram to experience the series a few more times, taught by a few different instructors to give it a fair chance. I think it could potentially become part of my diverse practice, but I doubt I'd ever decide to do Bikram on a daily basis.

Edited by AS1 2010-12-27 3:10 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)